Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: A Dragon's Life-Turn 8/Sunset, and a Dragon's fall  (Read 19477 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: A Dragon's Life-Turn 3/Majestic
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2011, 04:50:29 pm »

Not in the mood.
I fully support your right to be lazy if you're not in the mood.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2011, 12:19:00 am »

Grr, you people really are trying to push me into writing for another game arn't you.  Seems like you guys arn't too interested in creating the story part of these RTD's.

Frustrating, since so many people seemed interested.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2011, 12:27:29 am »

Well what did you expect, really? The game the two RTDs are based on doesn't have a story for itself, and there was ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILER FOR A STORY so you shouldn't have expected a full blown storyline. ::)

Also, if we tried to make up the story, these RTDs would take up SO MUCH more time and likely neither of us would want to do them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:29:55 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2011, 12:53:18 am »

Grr, you people really are trying to push me into writing for another game arn't you.  Seems like you guys arn't too interested in creating the story part of these RTD's.

Frustrating, since so many people seemed interested.

Excuse me but, what the hell.

Honestly, what the Hell. It's 3 turns in, 3! We're babies for christ sake, there is no story because we are aware of no story. (Besides the eclipse and all that.)

At this stage in the game almost nothing has been revealed, and by the same card almost anything can be revealed. The storyline is fluid at this point, we've got an eclipse, a tiny cult of dragon worshipers, a bunch of fanatic monster haters, and a prophecy of destruction with an absurd expiration date.

Anything can come out of this, and being frustrated here is quite frankly like being frustrated in the first chapter of the first WoT book because there's no story. It's just some dude walking through the forest and feeling watched while his dad leads a mule into town, boorrrinngg.

I apologize for being snippy but that comment of yours touches a nerve.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2011, 01:23:16 am »

Look guys, I'm not saying the games are bad or lacking in story. I'm saying that forum games in general without active and interested thread GMs die slow and painful deaths. And I get the strong feeling that both Tarran and Dwarmin would rather play a game than write one.

Well what did you expect, really? The game the two RTDs are based on doesn't have a story for itself, and there was ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILER FOR A STORY so you shouldn't have expected a full blown storyline. ::)

Also, if we tried to make up the story, these RTDs would take up SO MUCH more time and likely neither of us would want to do them.
I never excepted you to make up a story based on that flash game. And I do understand how much work a standard RTD is. But, most standard RTD games do take that much work, because the GM posters are enthused about developing the story they create and make up with the players.

Anything can come out of this, and being frustrated here is quite frankly like being frustrated in the first chapter of the first WoT book because there's no story. It's just some dude walking through the forest and feeling watched while his dad leads a mule into town, boorrrinngg.

I apologize for being snippy but that comment of yours touches a nerve.
I don't remember the WoT books all that well, been a while since I read them. However, that scene you talked about does seem a bit boring. That said, I bet the book had more than that in setting up who the people were and the world the story takes place in.

And really, all of this is just cluttering up Dwarmin's thread. Maybe we need an separate Dragon Discussion thread to link the two(probably three soon, because I need to put money where my mouth is), and talk about such things there.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2011, 01:35:35 am »

Look guys, I'm not saying the games are bad or lacking in story.
You're either contradicting yourself or don't know how to make your post look like otherwise. :-\

I quote "Seems like you guys arn't too interested in creating the story part of these RTD's." = You don't like the story = You think the story is bad.

I'm saying that forum games in general without active and interested thread GMs die slow and painful deaths. And I get the strong feeling that both Tarran and Dwarmin would rather play a game than write one.
Well, you're... uhh... kinda right for me.

Thing is, though, I feel bad if I don't have a running RTD at all.

It's I-don't-want-to-do-this Vs. I-NEED-TO-DO-SOMETHING. I prefer the former.

The main thing causing the former would be me worrying that people are waiting for a turn.

Also, this thing happens very often, so I don't know why you're surprised.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2011, 01:40:41 am »

The core reason for all this is I'm worried about you and Dwarmin deciding that it's too much of a chore to do updates, and either shutting down, or letting the thread die.

If the game was bad, or completely lacking in story, I wouldn't care that much.

Yes it may only be turn 3, but we are a week in. And have barely scratched the surface of the game. It's going to be a very VERY long run, for GMs who are trying to force themselves to post the game. THAT, is my concern.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2011, 01:48:12 am »

The core reason for all this is I'm worried about you and Dwarmin deciding that it's too much of a chore to do updates, and either shutting down, or letting the thread die.
I don't see mine crashing and burning for quite a while.

And if it does, I'll tell you all instead of just letting the thread die. I at least have that amount of dignity.

Yes it may only be turn 3, but we are a week in. And have barely scratched the surface of the game. It's going to be a very VERY long run, for GMs who are trying to force themselves to post the game. THAT, is my concern.
1 turn per 2 days isn't really a bad rate, to be honest. I've had much worse. You should be happy that you have this rate, young man!

Barely scratched the surface of the game: EVERYONE IS STILL A CHILD. You honestly expected differently?

Yes, it will be a long run. Yes, it will likely fail. But a lot of RTDs are like that. I have seen many RTDs die, and this is natural. It's best to not think about it, honestly, and instead enjoy it while it lasts. Few RTDs make it a huge distance.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: A Dragon's Life-Turn 4/Infamous
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2011, 03:59:09 pm »

Turn 4
Utter darkness...

Duratan/Tarran

(Want to fight with me brother?
Charisma roll = 5)

Duratan tenses, preparing to charge. He growls to his brother and motions to the food stealer. Dandrauth nods, and begins to circle around, confident in your abilities.

((Gained trait, Natural Leader! If Duratan is giving orders, and suceeds at a task himself, all others gain a +1 bonus to that task or the first combat round as well-but if he fails, they get a negative 2.))

Duratan lets out a tiny, yet ferocious roar and charges Daornmal! But, his larger, bulkier brother merely grabs him by the horns and flips him over on his back effortlessly...Daornmal chuckles, and lashes out with his long, whip like tail at Duratans soft exposed stomach. *CRACK!*
(Duratan -8 HP)

Just as Duratan is getting up, he watches Dandrauth charge clumsily from the rear, but Daornmal picks him up and tosses him head over heels off into the distance! Your brother certainly has the strength back up his boast. You jump on him, clawing into his face! (Daornmal -5 HP)

Again, he growls, and slowly but surely pries your claws away, silently mocking as he outmatches your own strength with his own. He spins you away like a top...growling, you turn back to fight him-and see the flash of his tail, perfectly angled to strike as you stopped spinning and turned into the attack. It lashes you across the face viciously!
(Daornmal -18 HP. Further damage chance 80%? Rolled a 9 and avoided, really lucky!)

You go down....but your not out! Duratan springs to his feet lashing out with his own tail attack-but Daornmal merely sidesteps and charges you, claws extended! But, he's knocked off balance by your other brother. If Dandrauth hadn't gotten his courage up and tackled Daornmal at that moment, he would of hurt you very badly...

The battle is not going in your favor. Daornmal is barely winded, and your feeling worse than you ever have-your belly and snout are slashed open and bleeding a little bit. But the rush of battle is upon you-do you concede, or continue the fight? You get the feeling there is no shame in back down to someone stronger than you, but your Pride tells you to fight to the bitter end...your Pride isn't very smart though.

Darrzun is cowering in a corner, claws over his eyes.

Dandrauth is hesitant. He seems likely to run soon.

Daornmal is silent but wary. Right now, he's got the advantage, and knows it.

Spoiler: Dragonstats/Duratan (click to show/hide)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agaronix/IronyOwl

((MAMA FEED ME!
Charisma roll 4+2=6))

You make a loud sound as you can, for as long as you can. Eventually, your mother appears. She stops to praise your sister for catching her own food-you feel sort of jealous-and drops a large four legged beast in front of you. All the Dragons crowd around to feed.

Except for one...as Agaronix moves to sink his teeth into it, he finds Amarugx standing in his way. She's not attacking, just...in the way. Not talking either, even is she can. Doesn't Amarugx want to eat as well?

He tries to walk past her, but she growls and tenses again-you wouldn't want to get hit with that tail.

Agaronix stops. How does he handle this situation?

Spoiler: Dragonstats/Agaronix (click to show/hide)

Draignean

Deciding to take matters in your own claws, you knock your brother aside-who wisely rolls with the blow makes it appear worse than it actually is-and then push your sister aside.

Something makes you slow...a bit. Your sure you can see better in the dark cave than these steel-scale long points your father was talking about.

(Who are these guys?
Intelligence roll=5-1=4)

You spot them up ahead. There's only three of them. Only one in middle has scales and a sharp point on him. Strange. The others ones are wearing something that isn't skin or scales-it's just some sort of cloth-and they are carrying metal blocks on sticks-there's two diffrent types, which you gather is that one is a Brother, and other a sister of the same type of creature.

The woman is also carrying a long, thin stick, but it's bent like a crescent shape and tied together with a thing silver string-there's a smaller pointy stick strung on the line. What a strange weapon.

You also get the idea they follow the orders of the one in the middle.

You can hear them talk...

Man: Are you guys sure there's treasure in here?
Woman: Well...
Middle Man: The Black Prophet came to me in a Dream. He said we would find Great Evil here, and great wealth. I have never been one to doubt his prophecies.
Man: But...
Middle Man: He predicted the Flood didn't he? And the Crop failure? Even the Death of the White Dragon, whom we loved.
Woman: Can you two be quiet? Whatevers lurking in here, let's not let it know we're coming...

Draignean is in a position to charge any of them-or retreat and try to formulate a plan of attack. He feels his sister, once she recovers her senses, will charge without bothering to wait.

Spoiler: Dragonstats/Draignean (click to show/hide)

Alvrea Markon'vie/Haika
Enough sitting around alone! Alvrea picks herself up out of her nest, and decides to look for food...the furry creatures, she can hear their tiny heartbeats.

As she approaches them, they scurry away faster than Alvrea can even imagine. How to catch them...

(Intelligence:3)
(Agility: 6-1+1=6)

Alvrea knows when she moves toward the furry creatures, they move away from her. They must be afraid of her. So, she thinks...what if she wasn't moving? Alvrea drops down into a sitting position and sits very...very still. It's a bit difficult, being so patient, but she can hear the furry creatures moving past her. Every time she fidgets, though they move away...it takes awhile, but eventually she hears a bigger one...getting closer to her!

In a moment, she knows it's the time to strike. Blindly, she leaps at the spot, visualizing it as a bullseye in her mind to aim for. And she gets it in her claws!

Whatever it is, it's squealing and crying. Alvrea is merciful, and kills it quickly-she begins eating. Yum!

She then hears her mother come in at that moment-and can smell the food she brought with her.

"Alvrea, you caught that yourself? My beautiful daughter, you have learned your first lesson without me-sometimes your weaknesses can be strengths...when you are ready to being your second lesson, come find me-you will always be able to know where I am by following my heartbeat...just listen."

Alvrea can hear it now. Ka-thump Ka-thump Ka-thump Ka-thumpUMP...Ka-thump Ka-thump Ka-thump Ka-thumpUMP...

((Gained the Trait Blind Strike: You can attack from standing still at a nearby target you can hear with no blindless penalty. Enemies you hear can trigger Blind Strike as an oppurtunistic attack, that hits before combat starts.

Gained the Trait Heart Finder: Your hearing can detect the heartbeats of living things trying to hide from you at a short range-it's easier if they are stressed.))

Alvrea wanders over to the food, still a bit hungry. Whatever it is, it will certainly fill her belly-but it won't taste as good as the furry thing she caught, all by herself.

As she begins to eat, she hears some sort of commotion-from her clumsy brother, and the angry whip tailed sister...

Spoiler: Dragonstats/Alvrea (click to show/hide)

Urenth/Wolfchild

Urenth whines a bit, but it doesn't really affect her as much as it should. If she had cared about her Mother, she might have stayed in the cave and tried to make her mother love her...as is, it's not much a matter to her. She moves back to digging!

((Diggity dig!
Str Roll 6-1=5

Luck Roll 5 VS Fate roll 4))

This time, she uses her claws more intelligently-making sure to *dig* instead of just clawing brainlessly. Luckily, the little meat is still in there!

She gobbles it in one gulp. Not hungry anymore. Now what? The sky is still dark, and it's very cold out...much colder than before. She shivers, despite her scales protection.

A chilly wind blows in from the North...it almost sounds like a whisper.

"Ureeeeenth...come to ussss."

It's not like a Dragon's Voice. Urenth does feel a certain pull...curiosity, or something more.

What does Urenth do now?

Spoiler: Dragonstats/Urenth (click to show/hide)

Asabragr/Ahra

Asabragr kills the creature with no effort. It didn't even try to fight him off-merely accepting it's death. He tore it to shreds.

He feels a little conflicted...but, he's got a meal now.

((Gained +5 Evilness))

He digs in, growling and tearing at the flesh...

---
Dwarf Trackers: 5-2=3

The Tall one looked again.

"Oy, I foun' a trak-tricky barstard woz hoppin' round like a jackrabbit. Com on, we gotz ourselfs a drakon to skeen!"

---

Asabragr will hear the bearded fangs coming through the forest before they see him. Luckily, he'll have a full belly by then...the choice appears.

Run, hide or fight?

Spoiler: Dragonstats/Asabargr (click to show/hide)

OOC:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:53:14 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2011, 04:34:07 pm »

Good god! Where the hell did he pull out all those good rolls from? :o

Well, at least I can tell that, since he's strong and fast, he must not be as charismatic or intelligent as me. So eventually, should this relationship turn into a rivalry, I should outmatch him.

Give in... grudgingly. He actually worked for his food, thus he earned it... partially. However, Duratan would never respect his stronger, but brutish brother as long as he kept up this attitude.

Go ask mother for more food for Dandrauth. Make sure Dandrauth is following me and Daornmal is far away.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2011, 04:36:21 pm »

His bonuses came from the fact that he's a breathless fighter Dragon, for one. Also, he seemed to get a string of natural sixes, given him the perfect dodge bonuses.  :o
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2011, 04:40:33 pm »

Well then, obviously I should be the ranged bastard from now on, only breathing fire. :P

Also, you got the wrong name here on Draignean's turn:
Duratan is in a position to charge any of them-or retreat and try to formulate a plan of attack. He feels his sister, once she recovers her senses, will charge without bothering to wait.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2011, 05:03:29 pm »

There was no time for hesitation, there was no time for doubt, there was no time for fear, and in a odd flash of realization Draignean realized there never would be. Those things were luxuries afforded to the innocent, and Halnon seemed to be ensuring that innocence was a state that Draignean could never exist in.

Bristling all over the small grey dragon bellowed his young challenge and charged the scaled one full on, putting all his weight into his developing horns. After the scaled one was down he would attack the sister with the stick, ravaging her until she was unfit to fight before turning his attention back to the others.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2011, 05:06:31 pm »

The voice wanted Urenth to go into the cold, but she was so very lonely, she follows it carefully
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2011, 05:17:25 pm »

Asabragr was hesitant what to do as he heard the small ones with shining fangs but he would hide, and do as he did with the bear,
attacking from behind to take the siblingslayers by surprise
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15