Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this a bug?  (Read 1558 times)

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this a bug?
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:32:17 am »

I'm playing a genesis mod adventure game right now and when choosing the race and starting location I chose a nord and what it seemed to be a place with a land connection to the main land, turns out it's pretty much a small island surrounded by frozen ocean.

So after killing pretty much all night creatures and bandits in this island I wanted to try and go to the main land by crossing through a patch of frozen ocean, but something weird started happening, after a while the fps starts to drop, the chugging when loading new areas gets a lot worse and then all of a sudden instead of a couple of seconds to load a new area it lakes like a minute and when it finally loads and gives you back control this ice wall magically materializes behind you and another one a few tiles ahead of you

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and they have this weird vertical open space in the middle of em

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After a while the fps drops so much that it becomes unplayable, well at least for me it does, which makes it look like a memory leak to me, because the fps keeps dropping the longer you keep going.

When turning temperature off instead of creating those huge ice walls it melts huge blocks of the ocean around you as you go, and the fps goes to hell just the same.

Here is the save in case anyone want's to check it, just keep going left and it should start happening, again this is in genesis mod, so make sure to load it in that.

I just wanted to make sure this isn't supposed to happen before posting a bug report.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:58:44 pm by onarum »

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:15:13 pm »

no one knows? I guess I'll just post it on mantis then.

edit: well I guess I don't have too, there's already a report there about this.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:39:19 pm by onarum »

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:41:58 pm »

It was an hour and a half.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:43:44 pm »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 03:11:49 pm »

It's a known bug. Try sleeping.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:52:24 pm »

This. Everything will become better.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 08:00:43 pm »

This. Everything will become better.
So true. Better in more ways than you can imagine.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 09:21:31 pm »

Yes indeed, things are better when you are encased in ice, good thing I had a backup of that save.

I even tried putting the [FLIER] tag on the raws, turning off temperature and reaching the other side of the strait, but then all the ice melts instead and the FPS goes to hell all the same, it was taking over a minute to take a single step so I gave up.

I guess my poor (and incredibly powerful) Nord valkyrie will have to settle on the little island as a peasant, at least it's a very safe place now after she killed every single bad guy in there.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 05:58:20 pm »

Yes indeed, things are better when you are encased in ice, good thing I had a backup of that save.

I even tried putting the [FLIER] tag on the raws, turning off temperature and reaching the other side of the strait, but then all the ice melts instead and the FPS goes to hell all the same, it was taking over a minute to take a single step so I gave up.

I guess my poor (and incredibly powerful) Nord valkyrie will have to settle on the little island as a peasant, at least it's a very safe place now after she killed every single bad guy in there.
I was referring to the amazing and uncontrollable body swapping bug, but okay. I mean, controlled body swapping with hacks is fun and all, but god damn is that glitch amazing.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 07:57:02 pm »

The suddenly appearing ice walls/Doom fortresses are a long time issue when walking through any place frozen for a long time. Hell I have a 40d game where my adventurer is 300+ levels down one of those things.

Then the ocean thaws.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 08:04:39 pm »

Where's the old, more elaborate topic on this bug? Is there any documentative source for information on it at all? My searches are turning up dry, mostly because there's no one thing people call it.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 10:20:57 am »

Well, I had this thing too. I tried to go through a glacier to reach other continent with my abandoned fortress. So, after 5 minutes run, suddenly similliar ice wall appeared right behind me and possible encased all of my companions. And so I returned to shore to raise a new companion army.
The most interesting, I possible meet two of my companions near that glacier. As usual I was ambushed by some humans, but some of them start attacking others, and I somehow knew their names without talking to them first. They didn't join me because I had a big party at that moment, what a pity.
And then my entire party and me, of course, were killed in that lonely arctic labyrinth. Well, didn't know minotaurs are SO strong.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 01:37:50 am »

someone posted in another thread that they think it's ocean waves trying to move around, then getting frozen. that's the most plausible idea i've seen for it

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 01:44:56 am »

I call them glacier boxes. They rapidly expand until you die or are trapped.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!