Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can you reach islands?  (Read 2953 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can you reach islands?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 08:56:15 am »

How would you build a working bridge if you can't build on the edge of the map. Maybe use floors then build long bridges that stay down?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 10:30:09 am »

what if the history is about an adventurer searching for the gidden pearls?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 04:28:54 am »

My attempts at swimming underwater met with the problem that regardless of your swimming skill (the adventurer I tested with was 2/3 the way across the ocean, so you can be guarenteed that he was pretty high), as soon as you go below the surface, you go from "swimming" to "drowning", and there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid this except keeping your head above the waves.

Apparently dwarves are like dogs and don't know how to hold their breath under water or something.

I had a pretty epic dwarf who could hold her breath and swim underwater (or "controlled drowning") for at least twenty steps.  She was stuck underground and had to swim through harrowing underwater passages to find an exit.

... This would make for a good dungeon feature.  Submerged passages with air pockets and damp rooms full of treasure and monsters.  Hmm, must make something like this in my current fortress. Right now there's little of interest for adventurers to do...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 04:34:10 am »

You could theoretically traverse the underworld to get from one landmass to another, couldn't you?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 04:50:06 am »

How would you build a working bridge if you can't build on the edge of the map. Maybe use floors then build long bridges that stay down?
you use embark anywhere and embark where the bridge ends and start back up.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 03:19:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've had an adventurer swim across oceans before. It's just slow and not very interesting.

=== HFS Spoilers incoming ===

Of course, the dwarfy way to do this is to build 2 fortresses. One on the mainland and one on the island. Dig down to hell on both of them, and then inevitably have !!FUN!!, or just abandon. Then, go to the first one as an adventurer, climb down to hell (fighting demons along the way), travel through hell to the other fort, then just climb back up. Simples! :D
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 04:55:44 pm »

Someone really should write a story about reaching the island, it would be cool.  Or maybe post some reports on their progress.
I moved during the night and slept during the day, making sure to wake up when the ocean would be frozen. I made it pretty far before giving up.
During one night, however, I was ambushed by a shortfin mako shark. It just sat there, drowning on the ice.
Pages: 1 [2]