Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Masterwork iron vs basic steel armor and weapons.  (Read 9287 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork iron vs basic steel armor and weapons.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23:27 pm »

Iron can't penetrate Steel, Bronze can't penetrate Iron, etc. This is incredibly unrealistic: the force applied to the metal matters more than the metal itself. BUT, that's how it is in the game world.
A dwarf in full Steel Plate + Chain VS a dwarf in full Masterwork Iron Plate + Chain would result, eventually, in either a Steel victory or the Iron dwarf strangling the Steel dwarf.
Now, against organic tissue, I'd go with the Masterwork Iron weapon. And seeing as how, as a Dwarf, you mostly fight unarmoured things, the Masterwork is better.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:25:10 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 12:43:25 pm »

Boatsmurdered alone has taught me that Demons are not the only race in the entire game that can completely, and totally, devastate a Fortress with 'Fun.'
Nor does Adamantine relate to fun nearly as much as, say..Digging through Warm Rock.

Just because your forum account is a new one, doesn't mean it's so ridiculously obvious that ANYONE should know it. It really is that random, when you think about the sheer amount of materials/animals/paths/techniques/methods/moods/seasons/races/liquids/gases that can get you into 'fun.'
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 12:46:53 pm »

The point of calling them "clowns", "candy" and the like are to avoid giving the secret away to people who don't already know. Because it's more ‼fun‼ that way, or so I've been told. (I was spoiled before I could even build a functional fort, but then, I'm not very careful with spoilers.)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 12:51:00 pm »

If you're looking to avoid spoilers..
..Don't visit the Forums that have anything to do with gameplay.
Too much of a risk of it.
And honestly, complaining about spoilers is like complaining about a friend giving you an explanation on how the game mechanics work, what kind of things you should avoid, and why.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 02:25:24 pm »

a friend giving you an explanation on how the game mechanics work, what kind of things you should avoid, and why.

I initially read that as you should avoid learning the game mechanics. Its more fun that way. lol

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 06:27:31 pm »

Actually, that would be interesting..Just setting a friend up in front of a laptop, opening up Dwarf Fortress, and letting 'em figure it out.
All the while, snickering as they try to pass the enormous learning-curve.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 07:04:46 pm »

because you spoiled yourself. =)

i flipped when i found cotton candy. i almost died of fun when i found the good ol' big top.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 07:58:06 pm »

Actually, that would be interesting..Just setting a friend up in front of a laptop, opening up Dwarf Fortress, and letting 'em figure it out.
The only person I ever tried to introduce to DF went back to Call of Duty after barely starting a fort, and I tried to help him understand it. I doubt someone with NO help could do ANYTHING.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 08:06:03 pm »

Eddren:
1. Random =/= arbitrary, unrelated, unconnected, or any of the other words you have substituted it for.
2. Terms like "cotton candy" aren't new by any means, and none of them are hard to connect to their in-game counterpart.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 08:36:39 pm »

Iron can't penetrate Steel, Bronze can't penetrate Iron, etc.
Were do you get this from?  My understanding of the game mechanics is that Iron has less of a chance of penetrating Steel, but still has a chance of doing so.  My copper spear equipped dwarves did wonderfully against iron armored goblins in one of my forts (no iron, hadn't "imported" much goblinite ... yet :) ).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 08:42:11 pm »

It depends on the weapon as well. Spears have a small contact area, and a large penetration, so they are more likely to penetrate armor.

Plus goblins come with only a shield, breastplate, and a helmet. So chances are you're going to stab elsewhere.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 08:47:00 pm »

The only person I ever tried to introduce to DF went back to Call of Duty after barely starting a fort, and I tried to help him understand it. I doubt someone with NO help could do ANYTHING.
By the time I figured out there was a forum or a wiki, I had gotten a Duke.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 08:47:33 pm »

It depends on the weapon as well. Spears have a small contact area, and a large penetration, so they are more likely to penetrate armor.

Plus goblins come with only a shield, breastplate, and a helmet. So chances are you're going to stab elsewhere.
I was hitting lungs, as well as severing hands, feet and (elven) noses. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 10:00:57 pm »

By the time I figured out there was a forum or a wiki, I had gotten a Duke.

Are you by any chance an Elder God?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 10:16:48 pm »

Actually, now that I think of it, I did do that once..
And surprisingly, they managed to have fun while doing absolutely NOTHING useful.
They somehow managed to turn 'messing around with the look tool' into a form of minigame.

Huh.

Anyway, in reply to those saying that Random is not the same as several other adjectives I could have used:
I DID look it up, online, actually.
Definition ONE:
proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern

Calling a creature a 'clown,' instead of just saying 'DEMON' is random.
EVENTUALLY, they'd have found out about the Demons. All you have to do is dig downwards for a while. It's not like it was some extremely obscure reference, to an object which is practically impossible to find. It's, like, a few Z-levels below the Magma-Sea which most people will find themselves using for their Magma-Forges.

So, instead of giving them RANDOM (Note I said Random, not something else,) names, let's stick to least amount of confusion and call them what they are:
Demons, Adamantine, Hell, Adamantine Tubes, and Glowing Pits.

I mean, come on. If you're that worried about spoilers, there's plenty of other ways of saying it, that make sense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3