Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVI - Scum Win!  (Read 62907 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVI 7/7, 3/3 - Day 2 - Stains of blood
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2011, 11:04:23 am »

EBWODP: To explain why I don't really have suspicions: I wasn't here in the RVS and could not ask my questions to get me started on my own train of thought. Now I can either follow someone's example, which is considered scummy, or wait until an opportunity presents itself to attack, which is atleast not scummy for that long. I'm in quite a pinch here, and seemingly because I did what an IC said townies should do. It's hard to follow advice when it appears to get you mislynched.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

Mormota: How much experience do you have with mafia? Also, if you were a doctor, who would you protect now that you know the cop is gone?

Another post:

I have no idea how I didn't notice that, I just reread the thread, so let me answer.

This is my first game of Mafia. A few years ago I played something similar to this IRL, but that was obviously different. What would I do if I were the doctor? That's a tough question. Currently, I think I'd rule Jim and Orangebottle out, since they struck either my intuition/common sense as most scummy when I first entered, and I'm inclined to believe my first impression so far, not having anything else to believe.

Powder Miner seemed to jump on me with some rather strange reason, especially considering he said I was stating that scumhunting is not aggressive, which is simply not true. After that, he seems to provide a fairly beliavable explanation, but his first point, the one which should be the main one, is simply wrong, and that arouses my suspicion.

That leaves me, Flandre, you and IronyOwl. I obviously can't protect myself, and Irony wasn't very active lately, so protecting him over a more active and aggressive townie would be a bad decision.

I would probably roll a die to decide, simply because I don't have much against either of you.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2011, 11:47:21 am »

AHahaha... an OMGUS suspicion, huh? I jumped on you because you need to be aggressive. And that post should hav been worded better. I read it as Jim telling you not to investigate because YOU'RE being aggressive, which made me raise an eyebrow. Anyway, you nee dto come up with something other than "Oh My God You Suck because you're pressing me." So why aren't you pressing anyone? Passive, passve, pasive. As I''ve already said, RV someone if you're not ure of what to do. Stanidng around answering questions is not the way to scumhunt. But then again, what if you're scum and don't want to scumhunt?

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2011, 02:36:52 pm »

An OMGUS suspicion? I'm sorry? You made up a reason to attack me, then claim I'm just a hurt little brat trying to get revenge for finding this rather suspicious?

Quote from: Powder Miner
As I''ve already said, RV someone if you're not ure of what to do.

As you wish, Powder Miner. Tell me then, again, just what are you basing your claims on me? Why do you keep telling me to be aggressive? Are you perhaps afraid you'll forget to do that? How can you even call me passive? I have a feeling you just barged in here, saw someone who you know not to be scum, tried to make up a reason, and attacked.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2011, 03:08:14 pm »

So you tell me you're not one to investigate since you're agressive, yet condemn me for picking the target most sensible at the time and attacking him? I'm not certain you make sense for me.

It was not the most sensible target at the time.

You don't seem to know or care what my job is here. I'm here to tell you when you're wrong, and you were wrong.

Quit getting defensive. You had no reason to assume that Orangebottle was rolefishing when he asked, "Why did the player you replace lurk so much?" If you use your imagination slightly less, you'll realize that the motive of the question was actually to get the question answered. Complicated, I know.

Isn't it the job of a townie to try finding the mafia? I was asked a question which I could obviously not answer, and surely Orangebottle knew it. How would I know backtobasesix's reason for staying away from the thread? Role-fishing seemed the only plausible explanation at the time.

Then you should have responded with, "I don't know why backtobasesix lurked. Why did you ask a question I couldn't know the answer to?"

That would have been the appropriate response.

Billybobfred: You still don't seem to be scumhunting, just answering questions. Why not?

You just keep mimicking everybody, don't you?

I think you misunderstood me there. I said that Jim said he's not one to condemn since he's aggressive, obviously townie, but when I do the same and aggressively attack someone, he suddenly fails to understand that same concept of being aggressive. That is what I find strange.

Quit crying about how I corrected you.

It's my job. It helps you. You should be grateful.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2011, 03:22:54 pm »

Mormota, now you've directly OMGUSed me when I tried to scumhunt you. Do you come up with a serious reason? No, you get veeerrrryyy angry when I question you. I've already told you why I'm scumhunting you: You're suspicious, for passivity: As in you pull out whenever someone questions your vote, and refuse to further scumhunt, instead only performing the blatant OMGUS on me which you're now trying to scrape reasons together for. A townie wouldn't be so worried about being pressed, and cracking so extravagantly as you are doing now pushes my suspicion to voting levels. My vote be considered OMGUS, depends on your attitude to this exchange, but your ridiculous reaction to being simply questioned, not even voted fulfills the question of my pressing. You see, when one presses someone else, they're looking for a reaciton. Certian reactions are indicating of mafia. Your reaction, going as far as to vote me for merely two posts of pressing and an FoS, satisfies that. Congratulations, you've outed yourself as scum.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2011, 03:53:47 pm »

Quit crying about how I corrected you.

It's my job. It helps you. You should be grateful.

Perhaps if you weren't being offensive (Not aggressive, offensive) then I wouldn't react so.

Quote from: Powder Miner
Stuff

Now you're being ridiculous. You literally make up a reason to attack me, then you're surprised when I find that suspicious? Please.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2011, 03:56:25 pm »

Don't sass the ICs.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2011, 04:27:06 pm »

Mormota, don't spin what I'm saying. You're backed up against the wall here, and you know it. First of all, my first reason was a misunderstanding of what you said, but the second one was something I have elaborated on, and was not made-up at all-your claims that it was is something you've been repeatedly saying, and I know it hasn't convinvced me, I doubt it convinces anyone else. And you weren't "finding it suspicious" You're afraid of being lynched, and leaving your new scumbuddy alone, so you did a plain and simple OMGUsS, reacting to how I questioned and scumhunted you. If I were suspicious of a claim someone made, I'd ask them to explain it, I wouldn't go all out, like you are, on the person who has a deent hance (now fulfilled) of ruining your town image. You're not really making a strong position here, Mormota. You're repeating the same trash, which I've already broken via explanation (repeatedly, might I say), over and over again, trying to escape the syringe.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2011, 04:54:24 pm »

Powder, you might want to break up your paragraphs more. Small walls of text are a bit hard to read.

Perhaps if you weren't being offensive (Not aggressive, offensive) then I wouldn't react so.
That's not how that works. You can't act scummy and/or completely ineffectual, and then blame continuing to do so on being offended.

This is also a good example of a consistent pattern you've been following, wherein you call someone out for convoluted reasons and then do nothing with it. Watch:

Jim Groovester, you seem to be awfully intent on proving your point. Perhaps there is more to that than simple stuborness?
I'm quite uncertain what you meant by the question, that's why I avoided it. I do not actually know why he was not playing, I don't know him. At all. But I think I can see why you asked it. Perhaps you're wondering if he had a role, Orangebottle? Perhaps you are wondering if I'm the doctor, to give you, one of the mafia, a fine target?
As you wish, Powder Miner. Tell me then, again, just what are you basing your claims on me? Why do you keep telling me to be aggressive? Are you perhaps afraid you'll forget to do that? How can you even call me passive? I have a feeling you just barged in here, saw someone who you know not to be scum, tried to make up a reason, and attacked.

You've got a lot of "Oh I see, MAYBE YOU'RE SCUM?!!!?!!?!?!" and no followup on any of it. Even the person you're currently voting isn't being pressured or responded to beyond "That's ridiculous."

Since you don't seem to have grasped it the first time, mafia is not about wild speculation. The point is not to invent as convoluted a scheme as you can to explain something, it's to figure what's probably actually the case.

For instance, you and Powder are voting each other right now, right? What does that mean? Could it be that you're scum, hoping to distract from actual scumhunting and ensure that if one falls the other will look incredibly townie?!?!??!?!?

Well... sure, it's physically possible. But there's no reason to assume that over something more sensible, and I think if I voted one of you and FoS'd the other on that theory, you'd rightly think I was out of my mind and/or scum pushing a mislynch. Yet, that's exactly what you've been doing: Jim might well be scum because he wanted to prove his point, Orangebottle was clearly rolefishing by asking about your predecessor's lurking, and Powder's only reason for mentioning aggression is to remind himself to keep doing it personally.

Furthermore, you're not doing anything with any of them- again, even on the person you're "hunting" right now, you've got no actual questions out. Reaction fishing is fine up to a point, but what you're doing is just making shit up and hoping it sticks.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2011, 05:32:02 pm »

EBWODP: To explain why I don't really have suspicions: I wasn't here in the RVS and could not ask my questions to get me started on my own train of thought. Now I can either follow someone's example, which is considered scummy, or wait until an opportunity presents itself to attack, which is atleast not scummy for that long. I'm in quite a pinch here, and seemingly because I did what an IC said townies should do. It's hard to follow advice when it appears to get you mislynched.
If you follow someone's example and add to their argument with legitimate suspicions of your own, you look far less scummy. However, the fact that you're so concerned about being perceived as scummy...
That's scummy, Mormota. Because Townies are more concerned with scumhunting than looking scummy. Scum is concerned with scumhunting, but with the sole purpose of looking like a Townie.

The IC's are free to correct me on that if i'm wrong.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2011, 05:33:47 pm »

Generally speaking, yeah, that's all true. Worrying about looking scummy at the expense of scumhunting is scummy.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2011, 05:48:23 pm »

Anyway, Jim Groovester, to answer the question you directed earlier to billybobfred before I replaced him, well, I can't answer it because I have no idea what was going through his head.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2011, 05:54:36 pm »

*sigh*

Fine. Unvote.

zombie urist, you've borrowed too many other people's reasons for your votes. It makes me think you don't have any real suspicions of your own.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2011, 06:21:14 pm »

From what I see, the entire thread is against me, for reasons I'm still not sure I understand. I came in, started scumhunting and that very second people dissed me for doing that. Then I cut back on it, being a new player and unsure of what to do, then people diss me for that. Tell me, if you were a townie in my position, wouldn't you despair? I'm cornered and about to get mislynched, of course I'm defending.

Why am I not scumhunting? Try doing that when everyone is calling you an idiot for being aggressive and a scum for not, plus being a new player on top of that.

Powder Miner, please do tell me one thing: If you're town, you would go and scumhunt, obviously. But you would try to find a target who you can justify attacking, wouldn't you? I'm not arguing that you did bring more reasons up later on, I'm saying that what you started with was hardly a justifiable claim. As a townie, wouldn't you try to get a good start to corner the scum? That's not what you did, you lashed at nearly random, and I still stand by my suspicions.

And please, quite the OMGUSing. I already elaborated on that, and it's getting tiring.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25