Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVI - Scum Win!  (Read 62834 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVI 7/7, 3/3 - Day 1 - Hazards of the Trench
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:41 am »

zombie urist, I've never seen you around here before, so answer me a question. Let's say you're a Doctor. How would you pick a target?
Probably either myself or an IC until the cop is found if there is one. Maybe Urist McArathos since Urists stick together.  :)

You didn't really answer my question. You told me who you would protect. You didn't tell me how you would pick your target.

Also, Doctors can't protect themselves. It's terrible but it's true.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2011, 04:21:24 am »

Now hold up. There's one factor you forgot to include in your numbers here:
There are mediums and forums in which one might play mafia.
Any one of the players in this game could have played in countless other games in countless other IRC channels or forums. Your numbers are incorrect.
Oh, no doubt. Not only are there other places where one could play mafia, but it's very possible that a mafia game here would not be counted. Those numbers are lower bounds.

You can find the results here.
No I can't. =/
My bad, it looks like I won't be able to copy/paste the search directly. If you want to see for yourself, use the forum's seach function, and search for any post containing 'mafia' by that person.

And concerning your displeasure at my method - would you prefer me to say that I chose those two because they are the first and the last alphabetically?
And nice strawman.
Well, you seemed to be irritated by my previous analysis, so I offered you some more arbitrary reasons for choosing those two. How is that strawmanning?

My question for you: Where did you get I've played 4 games?  This is only my third IF you include the in-progress witch game.  Would you prefer to be scum, or town, and why?
As for your four games, that is my mistake again. I tried to subtract three from six and ended up with four.

And concerning your question, I imagine that scum would make for the most enjoyable game experience, because as well as this stuff which everybody takes part in, you take part in the other part of the game with the townies do not.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2011, 05:28:08 am »

Votecount

Flandre[1]: zombie urist
Urist_McArathos[1]: ed boy
billybobfred[0]:
ed boy[2]: Urist_McArathos, billybobfred
backtobasesix[1]: Orangebottle
zombie urist[1]: Jim Groovester
Orangebottle[1]: Flandre
Jim Groovester[0]:
IronyOwl[0]:

Not voting: backtobasesix, IronyOwl

The day will end Monday, the 22nd, 4:00 pm forum time. You need 3 votes to extend and 5 to shorten.

Vector: Nice to see you hanging around! Settle down, grab some popcorn.
ed boy: You have a very nifty avatar.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2011, 06:26:53 am »

I apologize for not playing last night, everyone. I was ordering flutes in to my local music store so I can decide on which to purchase. I think I will have time to post  somewhere around noon (EST), but I have my job to attend to first. Again, sorry.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2011, 11:11:21 am »

Qwiktip: Trying to explain your reasoning, with numbers or without, makes it appear that you are trying to push away suspicion before suspicon starts. Its not working.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2011, 11:48:08 am »

Allo Flandre. You haven't posted here yet. What do you have to say about our situation?

Zombie, are you paying full attention to the game? Reading everything?
Because you should be. And the fact that you're not is a mite suspicious. FoS zombie urist.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2011, 11:52:47 am »

Well, you seemed to be irritated by my previous analysis, so I offered you some more arbitrary reasons for choosing those two. How is that strawmanning?
That's how. You're giving a blatantly shitty alternative and treating it as an actual argument against my point.

I don't want arbitrary reasons. I don't actually think your reasons were bad. It just looked like you were trying to avoid betraying any kind of personal preference. It's overly cautious, and that's a scum trait.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »

Qwiktip: Trying to explain your reasoning, with numbers or without, makes it appear that you are trying to push away suspicion before suspicon starts. Its not working.

These sort of judgments are the exact sort of thing players who are not in the game should not be doing.

If you're not in the game, don't post here. Not even for advice. I'll take care of that.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2011, 01:28:14 pm »

Flandre  If you have a power role in this game, how do you intend to figure out how to use it?  Last game you got lucky with Weba throwing out a remark about what he would do if he was a Doctor (which made it easy), but I know you don't expect that to happen every time.
Can you reword the question, please? Are you asking how I would determine a target with each vanilla power-role?
As for Webadict's suggestion, I was almost entirely sure that he was town (and for that, I think I was a minority). Because of this, the scum would not expect a doctor to follow his advice, and go ahead and NK either McArathos or IronyOwl anyway. It is true that my reason for choosing to protect McArathos is WIFOM, but as a Doctor I did not need to justify my decision. Doctors eat WIFOM for breakfast, and it is their job. I needed to think like scum, and that alone invites many what-ifs and maybes.

Allo Flandre. You haven't posted here yet. What do you have to say about our situation?
I find ed boy's method cute (and faulty), but that is about it. What about yourself?

Zombie, are you paying full attention to the game? Reading everything?
Because you should be. And the fact that you're not is a mite suspicious. FoS zombie urist.
While you are right, Orange, you hardly need to come to my defense, especially since you are the focus of my attention. What were you expecting him to say, other than that he overlooked it? I miss posts every now and again, so am I equally as guilty?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2011, 01:59:27 pm »

Flandre: certainly.  I was saying that last game, you had the benefit of Webadict's advice to make a decision, so I didn't get to hear your strategy on playing a Doctor.  Basically, how would you decide who to protect in this game?  Same question if you were a cop: how would you decide who to inspect?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2011, 02:13:46 pm »

I'm sorry if I was a being slightly overzealous. However, you didn't defend yourself at all when you had the chance. My vote is still on you until someone else becomes more suspicious.

You didn't really answer my question. You told me who you would protect. You didn't tell me how you would pick your target.
I would probably choose the person who appears most helpful in the game. Probably one of the more active players until the cop appears.

If doctors can't protect themselves, I think the mod should change the wording in the first post. Right now it says the doctor can protect ANY player.

Now hold up. There's one factor you forgot to include in your numbers here:
There are mediums and forums in which one might play mafia.
Any one of the players in this game could have played in countless other games in countless other IRC channels or forums. Your numbers are incorrect.
Oh, no doubt. Not only are there other places where one could play mafia, but it's very possible that a mafia game here would not be counted. Those numbers are lower bounds.
This can also overcount. For example, Vector posted in this thread but isn't in this game.

More questions  :)
IronyOwl: If you were scum, who would you want to be the cop?
backtobasesix: Same question Urist_McArathos asked me. Is this your first game of mafia?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2011, 02:21:32 pm »

While you are right, Orange, you hardly need to come to my defense, especially since you are the focus of my attention. What were you expecting him to say, other than that he overlooked it? I miss posts every now and again, so am I equally as guilty?

I'm not trying to come to your defense, though that may have been the end result. One needs to pay attention if they want to catch scum in this game. The fact that he missed a post this early is suspicious to me, mostly because there's a lot less to miss. I knew he wouldn't say much beyond "Doh! Missed that one!" or similar. That wasn't the point. I was trying to see how he reacts to suspicion. Of course, you had to jump in and ruin that. And yes, you would be equally guilty if you had missed a post this early.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

backtobasesix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:09 pm »

Sorry guys, I didn't realize this had started already, I didn't expect it to start so soon.

backtobasesix: Same question Urist_McArathos asked me. Is this your first game of mafia?

No, this isn't my first game of mafia. It is my first game here, but I have played other places.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2011, 07:23:53 pm »

Slow start. Usually new players are tripping each other over in excitement trying to catch scum.

It's not a problem though.

No, this isn't my first game of mafia. It is my first game here, but I have played other places.

How extensive is your experience?

I'm sorry if I was a being slightly overzealous.

Aggression is nothing to apologize about.

When I tell you you're being too aggressive, that's when you need to dial it back. Otherwise, go for it.

Absentee IC, would you like to join us?

backtobasesix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2011, 08:16:11 pm »

How extensive is your experience?
Not very. I've played a game here and there but they've all been pretty informal.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25