Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVI - Scum Win!  (Read 62892 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVI 7/7, 3/3 - Day 1 - Hazards of the Trench
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 04:35:02 pm »

Now that the game has started and I am now responsible for teaching seven of you how to play a game, I will say the following first.

I will be a completely impartial source of advice that I will freely give at every opportunity, whether I am asked for it or I decide to give it on my own. You can trust that everything I have to say will be given in good faith, even if it comes at a personal cost to me in this game. If you do not listen to what I have to say, for any reason, you will severely hamper your ability to learn how to play the game. So, to reiterate,

Listen to what I tell you.

If you don't, then what's the point of me being here?

For those of you who don't know what to do, games usually start with the Random Vote Stage. You should pick a target randomly, vote them, and ask them a question. The sole purpose of this is to get conversation going when there would otherwise be no reason to do that. I'll start.

zombie urist, I've never seen you around here before, so answer me a question. Let's say you're a Doctor. How would you pick a target?

Ideally you should ask game related questions in the RVS. Asking what kind of flavor of ice cream is a player's favorite does absolutely nothing to help you find scum, which is your primary goal.

And because it bears repeating: Your primary goal is to find scum. Everything you do should help you towards that goal. And I do mean everything.

If you're scum, you will obviously have a different goal: Avoid detection until the end of the game. The best way to do this is to look like you are trying to find scum.

Since many of you are going to have no idea what to do and will mangle scumhunting in just about every possible way, it does you no good to hold back. So be bold, and just do the best you can. Ask lots of questions, try to get a good feel for how the game is played. I'll be there to help you when you go wrong.

If you played a Beginner's Game before you probably recognize this spiel, but it's good all the same.

Jim: Would you prefer to be a roleblocker, or a godfather?

Godfather, easy.

The inspect result from a cop would be the only real weakness I would have as scum, and Godfather patches it up perfectly.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 04:51:37 pm »

Hey ed boy, as town, who would you want to be on the scumteam and why?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011, 04:59:42 pm »

Hey ed boy, as town, who would you want to be on the scumteam and why?
Well, that's a pretty simple one. You want the scum people to be easiest to detect. I imagine it's a reasonable assumption to assume that playing experience is roughly correlated with ability to hide one's alignment, and so I would want the most inexperienced people to be on the scumteam.

Urist_McArathos, If you were a scum player, who else would you want to be scum?

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVI 7/7, 3/3 - Pregame Banter
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011, 04:59:59 pm »

Ah, it's time to start another round of what I shall lovingly refer to as 'hot potato'.
Hello, Orangebottle. Which role would you prefer between the cop and the doctor, and why?
Hey there Flandre. As far as your question goes, they're both pretty useful. However, the Cop makes it easier to find and nail scum if you use it intelligently. As such, I'd rather be a Cop.

Backtobasesix, who would you target tonight if you were a doctor? Why?

Billybobfred, who among the players(Not ICs) of this game would you prefer as a scumbuddy?

My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2011, 05:08:38 pm »

Well, that's a pretty simple one. You want the scum people to be easiest to detect. I imagine it's a reasonable assumption to assume that playing experience is roughly correlated with ability to hide one's alignment, and so I would want the most inexperienced people to be on the scumteam.
=/
When I ask questions beginning with "who", I'm looking for names, not Captain Obvious descriptors like "the most inexperienced". Try again.

Billybobfred, who among the players(Not ICs) of this game would you prefer as a scumbuddy?
Flandre. She's the only one I've played a game with so far, and I'd rather not be shackled to a complete unknown.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011, 08:56:03 pm »

=/
When I ask questions beginning with "who", I'm looking for names, not Captain Obvious descriptors like "the most inexperienced". Try again.

Well, I can easily rule out the ICs, which means Jimgroovster and Ironyowl are eliminated.

I'm rather new to the mafia concept, so the best measure of how much experience, and hence how much skill, each player has I'm going to guess by the number of other games that they have participated in. Let's list them:

Flandre (3)
Urist_McArathos(4)
billybobfred(4)
backtobasesix(0)
zombie urist(0)
orangebottle(2)

So, given that the scum team consists of two people, I would prefer that that team consist of zombie urist and backtobasesix.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2011, 08:59:10 pm »

Haha.  I like you, Ed Boy.  You're going to have to break out of strictly rational/numeric thinking eventually, though, so please keep that in mind.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »

Where did you get those numbers?

Because the number of Mafia games I have participated in is not 4, no matter how you count them.

And your strict numerical analysis is already bothering me, like you're going out of your way to not be personally responsible for your conclusions.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2011, 09:31:15 pm »

Where did you get those numbers?

Because the number of Mafia games I have participated in is not 4, no matter how you count them.

And your strict numerical analysis is already bothering me, like you're going out of your way to not be personally responsible for your conclusions.
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear the the boards allow one to search for the topice by account alone, so I had to search for some post subject. Seeing as almost all the games here have 'mafia' in their name, and hence all replies to those threads would have 'mafia' in their subject, I searched for all threads by you in this board containing the word 'mafia'. You can find the results here. Of the six threads that were turned up, one of them was this, one of them was a discussion thread, and one of them was a question thread, and so that left three that I could easily find.

And concerning your displeasure at my method - would you prefer me to say that I chose those two because they are the first and the last alphabetically?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2011, 10:03:32 pm »

Ho hum, another day, another scum fest.

Vector: You seem to be the innocent little key-lime pie. Who would you prefer to have as a scum-buddy?

I am not in this game.

Well played, Vector.  Unvote Vector

ed boy  I would prefer either Irony_Owl or Jim on my scum team.  I've never played scum before, and I could use all the advice possible to help me avoid mistakes.

My question for you: Where did you get I've played 4 games?  This is only my third IF you include the in-progress witch game.  Would you prefer to be scum, or town, and why?

zombie urist I've never seen you before either.  Are you a true newbie, or just new to this forum with a couple games under your belt elsewhere?

Flandre  If you have a power role in this game, how do you intend to figure out how to use it?  Last game you got lucky with Weba throwing out a remark about what he would do if he was a Doctor (which made it easy), but I know you don't expect that to happen every time.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear the the boards allow one to search for the topice by account alone, so I had to search for some post subject. Seeing as almost all the games here have 'mafia' in their name, and hence all replies to those threads would have 'mafia' in their subject, I searched for all threads by you in this board containing the word 'mafia'. You can find the results here. Of the six threads that were turned up, one of them was this, one of them was a discussion thread, and one of them was a question thread, and so that left three that I could easily find.

And concerning your displeasure at my method - would you prefer me to say that I chose those two because they are the first and the last alphabetically?
Now hold up. There's one factor you forgot to include in your numbers here:
There are mediums and forums in which one might play mafia.
Any one of the players in this game could have played in countless other games in countless other IRC channels or forums. Your numbers are incorrect.
My Sig

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2011, 10:22:38 pm »

EBWODP: There are other mediums and forums in which one might play mafia.
Honestly don't know how I forgot that word.
My Sig

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2011, 10:40:16 pm »

You can find the results here.
No I can't. =/

And nice strawman.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2011, 10:52:51 pm »

zombie urist, I've never seen you around here before, so answer me a question. Let's say you're a Doctor. How would you pick a target?
Probably either myself or an IC until the cop is found if there is one. Maybe Urist McArathos since Urists stick together.  :)
zombie urist I've never seen you before either.  Are you a true newbie, or just new to this forum with a couple games under your belt elsewhere?
This will be the first complete game of online mafia I've played. I  tried to play once at another forum, but everyone lost interest in the game.

Allo Flandre. You haven't posted here yet. What do you have to say about our situation?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2011, 10:54:50 pm »

Just FYI:

1) I don't believe Doctors can protect themselves, so bear that in mind.

2) Nobody tell him that I almost voted to lynch the last Urist I played with!
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25