Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Age of Empires: Any other players?  (Read 3167 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Empires: Any other players?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 10:45:21 pm »

Have you ever wanted to play the game windowed?

There is also a widescreen mod thats really good. Give you a really good advantage when you can see the majority of the map in one screen.   :P

I liked the whole series and Empire Earth as well... AoE 2 + TC was the best in my opinion... clean visuals, nice history details and pretty balanced AFAIR (Except for the Paladins).

First off the bat I found the heavy horesmen to be generally useless. The resources needed to build them could be spent to train more infantry or to rush faster. Not to mention pikemen.  :-[
Now a Horse Archer rush coupled with A couple Light Horsemen to cut down villager populations and stray infantry was a simple easy tactic.

Basically I would pick my civ based on how we we're going to play.
Goths in the low resource dark ages and fedual starts for an easy raids. Huns/Mongols for a high resource fedual/castle age start since the horsearchers could be churned out so fast it wasn't funny.
Finally the Aztec/Goths in the Imperial Ages when defences no longer important since trebs. exist, Aztecs for an offensive player who fields the large armies (infantry to tangle up the troops, monks to convert them) and goths when they're turtling in (just keep sending the meat shields at the walls, protect your trebs.)

I even bought a video card to play AoE III, but for some reason it didn't grow on me as AoE II did... IIRC the whole colonial thing (with things being sent from Europe), broke the game...

I didn't like the campagin of AoE3 at all. It was just jibberish with no historical basis at all. I know the age wasn't as action packed as the medieval and ancient times and were mostly devoted to genociding troublesome natives but still.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 02:28:03 am »

I have AoE 2 and 3 but I could never really get into them. Age of Mythology on the other hand.. I loved that game, it's probably what got me into PC gaming and built the foundation for everything I know about ancient mythology.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 02:32:47 am »

AoM was good like that.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 10:15:40 am »

First off the bat I found the heavy horesmen to be generally useless. The resources needed to build them could be spent to train more infantry or to rush faster. Not to mention pikemen.  :-[
Now a Horse Archer rush coupled with A couple Light Horsemen to cut down villager populations and stray infantry was a simple easy tactic.
Well, may be I wasn't that deep of a player :) And I played mostly against the PC, which I was able to beat easily with lots of paladins.

I didn't like the campagin of AoE3 at all. It was just jibberish with no historical basis at all. I know the age wasn't as action packed as the medieval and ancient times and were mostly devoted to genociding troublesome natives but still.

yeah, that one was really bad... when you compare that to the AoE 2 Campaigns (The Joan of Arc, Saladin and the Aztec ones come to mind as great ones)... I was expecting a lot from AoE 3, for example a better one on the Aztecs (since it was a bit off the time frame of AoE 2: TC), and there was a lot of topics to cover, including the conquest of the north american west, the american independence wars (north and south), the Napoleonic wars, the whole pirates of the caribbean thing...

All those were slightly covered in the campaign but in a pretty cartoonish way. Also there was only one campaign..

I don't know if the modding community ever went to correct this.

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 10:42:34 am »

I loved AoE1, one of the first PC games I got into.  I wish the Microsoft Zone was still up so I could jump into a game when I get bored. 
wolololo

Cpt.tazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 06:05:12 pm »

I loved AoE1, one of the first PC games I got into.  I wish the Microsoft Zone was still up so I could jump into a game when I get bored. 
wolololo

you can still use a service called "gameranger" to play age of empires with other players, including lots and lots of other games
667 to be exact
http://www.gameranger.com/games/
Got a pterodactyl with a knobby turtle shell composed entirely of vomit in my caverns. Apparently it moves deliberately. It's teamed up with a giant steam shrimp.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where you aren't hallucinating.
Pages: 1 2 [3]