Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 136

Author Topic: RTD of the Dragon. Turn 57: Simple Answers, Upset Parents, and Jobs.  (Read 210396 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: RTD of the Dragon. Turn 26.1: The RNG hates Draignean 1.
« Reply #660 on: December 23, 2011, 01:18:10 am »

A Lucerne hammer is an unusually long hammer, granting both leverage and weight to an attack. One would consider it particularly useful against dragons for its armor piercing capabilities. A warhammer is usually much smaller than a lucerne hammer, heavier and broader, but far small.

A lucerne hammer is to a warhammer as a Halberd is to a battleaxe.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 23, 2011, 01:25:59 am »

We're talking about a two-handed warhammer here, not a small one.

The two-handed warhammer compared to a normal warhammer is a longsword compared to a shortsword.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 23, 2011, 01:32:07 am »

We're talking about a two-handed warhammer here, not a small one.

The two-handed warhammer compared to a normal warhammer is a longsword compared to a shortsword.

I'm fully aware, hence the reason I compared to a battleaxe, not a war axe. And that is not a good comparison since both the longsword and the shortsword are one handed weapons.

A lucerne hammer outdistances the standard double handed warhammer by a good couple of feet, both are two handed but one is slower, heavier, and a helluva lot longer.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 23, 2011, 01:46:42 am »

I'm fully aware, hence the reason I compared to a battleaxe, not a war axe. And that is not a good comparison since both the longsword and the shortsword are one handed weapons.
We are talking in real-world terms no? Wikipedia calls it "a type of European sword designed for two-handed use". And the Battleaxe can vary: "length from just over 30 cm to upwards of 1.5 m (1 to 5 feet)" so you'll have to specify.

If we are talking in fantasy sense, then it would be a shortsword to a two-handed sword/large claymore.

A lucerne hammer outdistances the standard double handed warhammer by a good couple of feet, both are two handed but one is slower, heavier, and a helluva lot longer.
I assume that it's the two-handed warhammer. Because the way I'm imagining the two-handed hammer, it has a cinder block-sized block at the end.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 23, 2011, 01:50:15 am »

I assume that it's the two-handed warhammer. Because the way I'm imagining the two-handed hammer, it has a cinder block-sized block at the end.
Then it isn't a warhammer. Rather, it would be more akin to a maul.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:54:27 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 23, 2011, 01:53:30 am »

Then it isn't a warhammer. Rather, it would be more akin to a maul.
Meh, technicalities.

I had the idea of a Maul, but the only name I was thinking of at the time was "Two-handed warhammer".

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 23, 2011, 02:16:21 am »

We are talking in real-world terms no? Wikipedia calls it "a type of European sword designed for two-handed use". And the Battleaxe can vary: "length from just over 30 cm to upwards of 1.5 m (1 to 5 feet)" so you'll have to specify.

If we are talking in fantasy sense, then it would be a shortsword to a two-handed sword/large claymore.

Keep reading that wikipedia page, the term "longsword" encompasses a vast spectrum of weaponry, not merely hand-and-a-half blades.  Due to the veritable plethora of specific names for blades "longsword" is often used to describe a blade that is at the outside limit of what can be wielded feasibly by a single hand, if we deal in the most exacting specifics then you are technically correct. But it is strange that you would choose to use the specific form for one side and then compare it to a general form.  ???

The weapon you are describing (with the cinder block head), is a maul. Not a warhammer. A warhammer is a refined weapon with a head the size of two clenched fists side by side or smaller, this is because a cinderblock sized metal head is all but impossible to fight with due to being freakin' heavy.

Sheet of polearms to show length, including the lucern hammer. You can see the downright effete head typical of most warhammers.

It is 1AM, however I would recommend several excellent books on the subject. Most notable of which being simply titled "Weapons", it's a three inch think book with solely black and white pictures, but it is an excellent authority on the subject. If I can find the authors (my google gives me nothing) I shall endeavor to find an online version for your use.

Tomorrow my good friend we shall continue in earnest.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 23, 2011, 02:32:06 am »

Well, whatever, it maked sense in my skull.

I'm not interest in making argument Especially when I'm fighting an uphill battle and have little experience in the subject, honestly, so making sense in my skull is all that matter.

By by argument, I no care.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 23, 2011, 05:33:22 am »

'Excellent. First of all, something that has been bothering me slightly - how did human civilization come to be? You have banded together into great cities and civilizations and mastered the use of magic - but why men? Why not the wolves, or the birds of the sky? Did the gods aid you, and if so, why?'

Quiz time
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 23, 2011, 06:00:19 am »

Because it's a conversation, you get an immediate response!

'Excellent. First of all, something that has been bothering me slightly - how did human civilization come to be? You have banded together into great cities and civilizations and mastered the use of magic - but why men? Why not the wolves, or the birds of the sky? Did the gods aid you, and if so, why?'

Quiz time
"Many do not know, the voices and words of our ancestors have been lost in the winds of history. Most agree that while the gods gave us basic intelligence and religion, we had to forge our society, language, and such out of hard work, heroic deeds, and horrendous atrocities."

"We do not know why the gods picked us. Perhaps they found our bodies, souls, or minds ideal. Perhaps it was a random choice. Perhaps our original creator had strived for something greater. Ask yourself why the gods gave you dragons your potential immense power, and you may be able to come up with a reason that fits both humanity and your race, or perhaps you may be stumped as the rest of man is. You can predict and think 'like' a pig, you can also do the same to people of the same species or those of other species with similar intelligence. But you cannot, ever, possibly try to predict a god's actions, or think like them: They are eternal, beings of potentially limitless intelligence."

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 23, 2011, 06:31:49 am »

Fly away
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 25, 2011, 03:42:40 am »

Right, sorry for the delay. I'm just so used to the sluggish update schedule, and putting things off until later tends to become a recursive strategy. :P

WRETCH! FILTH! Raikonai screamed inside his own head. MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE!

Attempt to swim across lake.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 25, 2011, 03:55:20 am »

@IO: I hope we don't lose your Dragon to drowning.

That's just an unepic way to die >_>

Posted for refernce

They sink like a stone and burn up on contact with water.

More seriously, I'll think I'll go with a more realistic view: Dragons can swim, but only as good as a man without skill in swimming who is several magnitudes larger, stronger, and heavier than a human.

As for how they react, well, basically the same as a human. Though they avoid swimming when they can fly as they view it as a slower and inferior method of travel.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 25, 2011, 04:37:31 am »

...admittedly, part of my reasoning for said action was the assumption that I could (probably) just clamber out if I started drowning. Failing that, hold breath check go!

...and, y'know, the horrifying entity currently occupying me wanting me alive to further its own goals, my suffering amongst them.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 25, 2011, 06:30:07 pm »

Attempt to look for a Mage, a Wizard, or something other that is magical.

I think that dragons are magical, right? They have associations with them... and then there are the old tales.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 136