Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Game Mockups Thread  (Read 4849 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Game Mockups Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 02:08:25 am »

A roguelike/text parser hybrid where you control a group of freedom fighters in their campaign of guerrilla warfare against an oppressive Orwellian regime on a randomly-generated tropical island. LCS meets Central Intelligence meets Zork.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 05:07:05 am »

...meets Jagged Alliance?  ;D I'd play it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 06:44:50 am »

Haha, I found my old mockups/tryouts, including the first terraformer (called Colony): http://nam.siquo.net/webgames/

RiftRunner is the only actually little bit functional one (use arrows+space, but there was only 2 levels), I made EvilEmpire in anticipation of "Evil Genius", and it's actually very DF-like (digging, stockpiles, etc) but stopped when EG came out, DesertStorm was an RTS (but the AI didn't want to move).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:39:15 pm »

Anyone interested in a small gardening game? :)

I got this GREAT IDEA for a game where you are some kind of immortal gardener who plants trees to very slowly demolish buildings. Like the Ents tearing down Orthanc, but slower.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 01:58:24 am »

Procedurally generated metroidvania.

'Nuff said.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 09:27:13 am »

Anyone interested in a small gardening game? :)

Actually, yes, very much. i am the marketing manager of the biggest garden center in my country and lately we played with the idea of having a little gardening game on our site.

i leaned more toward a gardening design game rather than actual garden maintenance game though.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 09:20:29 am »

(how do you make links like that into words like 'this' etc? I have no idea whatsoever...)
You go like:
Code: [Select]
[url=<link>]<text>[/url]Which, when applied to your link and word, will look like this.

Also, i guess you could call this a bit of a mockup:

Considering how it's unfinished and probably will keep being so. It's a vertically aligned scrolling space shooter, made with Game Maker and a bunch of looooooooooove. I originally planned it to have 20 levels and 5 bosses, but it only has 7 levels and 1 boss as of now.

The basic idea of it is that you have to plow a path through the invading aliens, and destroy the alien general. Pretty simple, really. The biggest difference is that in this game, you can't possibly kill all aliens, and you don't HAVE to kill any, but you get money and XP for doing so. The money can be spent in the shop between levels, buying helpful upgrades for your ship. The XP will eventually level you up, giving you skillpoints to upgrade the stats of your ship. Upgrades are quite necessary for your further progress, so amassing huge quantities of cash before upgrading is hard and ungainly.

Every fifth level is a boss fight. You only fight that boss in that level, but any of the bosses could destroy you at a frightening pace, if you don't keep your wits about. In fact, right now, the first boss battle (a heavily armed and armoured gunship) often degenerates to a pummel duel (might have to fix that), with you on the losing side. There will be patterns, obviously, since a completely random behaviour would be annoying to fight. I envisioned the second boss fight being a massive sentry gun, the third a carrier, the fourth the alien general and his flagship, and the fifth being a SEKRIT BOSS.

Needless to say, the game is hard. Fortunately for all of us, there are no lives to worry about, and you can try over as many times as you want, but from the beginning of the relatively short levels. The difficulty is adjustable (from the beginning of a game), and ranges from Easy to Nightmare. The difference? Enemies do more or less damage, and you score more or less accordingly. Since the enemies already do a fair bit of damage in comparison to their numbers, Nightmare really does live up to its name. (i should know, i tried it)
Completing the game on Nightmare would also let you fight the fifth sekrit boss, which very obviously isn't going to be easy at all.

Also, you move around with the keyboard, and aim/fire with the mouse. The little turret on top of your ship shoots where you point your mouse, while the two guns on the front fires... Well, frontally. This gives you greater firepower up front, but you can shoot enemies more safely with the turret. Also, something that isn't shown on the screenshot is the fact that you have an energy bar. This bar lets you fire tremendously powerful super shots, but they drain the bar (obviously), after which it has to recharge.

The shown version isn't quite ready for public, but i'll finish up the minor lackings soon, after which i'm putting the project on hold.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 02:54:25 am »

A game where you control various mindless minions trying to stop a hero from completing his goal.  It's like every first person shooter, RPG, etc only you are the bad guy in control of literally infinite ( but very weak ) minions and grunts. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 08:06:42 am »

So, I've got a new job, YAY!  :D

However, they work in Java and my Java is very, very rusty. So I've got a month and a half to get up to speed. And what better way to learn a language than to make a game in it?

BUT what I need is a game design for a simple game. Ever wanted to be a game designer but need a programmer? Hey, here's your chance ;) I also suck at graphics so we either steal them or you make them for me. If you think you can market the game after we're done I want 50%, but I'm not sure anyone will pay anything for our crap :P

Edit: Oh what the hell, this deserves it's own topic.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:25:16 am by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 06:00:34 pm »

Procedurally generated metroidvania.

'Nuff said.

It's called Terraria.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 02:26:36 am »

A new mockup

This time it is a simulation game that sees you managing an intergalactic mercenary team and conducting missions for bounty to pay for weapons, upgrades and paychecks.

i imagine it something like football manager where you can hire or trade mercenaries from various races, skills and attributes each having his own pay check demands. the missions arent played directly but rather planned before in a strategic map so when the battles begins you only watch or have some limited options (abort mission, provide air support).

wounded mercenaries are getting the "red ticket" and can not participate in missions for a given time.

there should be specific favorable races for mission types, ie - assassination missions in human planets which require civilian blending will have a much higher win chance if conducted by human agents, etc..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:32:17 am by burningpet »

Komori

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 02:01:21 am »

Ok so I actually have 3 dream projects. I always try my luck coding something towards them but I always fail 'cause I'm forever a n00b (I gave up on computer programming for the fame and glory of hollywood). get ready for a huge chunk of text.

The first idea is a little plataformer-ish based on flatland. If nobody here ever read or heard of flatland, it's a little mathematically friendly book about a world inhabited by 2d people. Now, when I first read flatland a couple things greatly bothered me ('cause i'm that detail oriented) as in when the square was taken out of flatland and into a 3d world, he actually could see 3d (which makes absolutely no sense, since he is still flat, as is his eye. He should remain unable to see anything more than a line, no matter how 3d things truly are). Then I read another book derived from that first one (by other people, more recently, more amazing and it even was written with the 3d people interacting with the 2d beings through a computer game-like interface - flatland is from 1884 :P) -- The Planiverse. And that gave a much better shape to my already ingrained game idea. Growing up with first generation (as a young child, i'm old but not that old --or am I?) and second generation game systems, imagining a world entirely 2d was *never* a problem for me, but the planiverse brought it to a level of realism that my more grown up self would like.

Both books present the worlds in question more as a novelty being shown to a stranger, although they have a plot and traditional storytelling (flatland is a messiah-story gone wrong and planiverse could fit in a growing up story I suppose) the main point is to present the new universe (and it's rules, and culture) to the reader -- well, that was the main point for me anyway. So in that spirit, my idea was a exploring/crafting game. It would make for some interesting moments as we are used to think of 2d games as a representation of a 3d universe. Crafting objects and exploring a city where two objects *cannot* occupy the same space 'cause there is no third axis (that we usually assume) will be entertaining. Also, both planiverse and flatland have interesting background stories (i'm more tempted to go with planiverse thou) and the exploring could end up with you uncovering a plot that shows you interesting aspects of the world. Crafting would be particularly !FUN! (both to play AND code) since the player actually would have to make the mechanics and not simply be given a cute looking sprite that has an assumed engine inside doing the job. There is no assumed, it's a 2d world, if there's an engine inside, you should see it. And some 3d mechanics would not work in a 2d universe (it's actually more simple, I think, but with some tricky parts). It ends up being a puzzle game of organizing the sprites in a way that works, but with the right coding, could give some AWESOME emergent gameplay. Planiverse itself has plenty of "recipes" for engines, boats, houses and even musical instruments. The plot itself would not be super important, but serve as motivation to craft. If crafting by itself is rewarding enough, the player would have a sandbox to play with.

My second game idea, that actually came before this one, I like to call a culture simulation. I'm a big fan of Civilization Series, even thou the series has been going the wrong way since the 3rd one, I still buy all of them. I still like them. I just think they could be doing more, doing better. But oh well. One thing that always bothered me in Sim games and Civ, being born in a 3rd world country (now "developing". whatever that means), is that you have such a rigid control of everything. Your citizens will only build houses where you let them. If you don't plan plots, the masses of immigrants will calmly wait outside, instead of creating huge slams and filling your (much needed) workforce anyway --and hey, they are even cheaper to hire, not having rent or mortage to pay! Tropico has slums (and you can edict laws and send people to jail. I loved the first tropico) but no empire/city building has *any* organic feel. Which is understandable for playability. I like those games as they are, but did nobody ever thought of a more organic model that we could also play? So my idea started from there.

Basically, instead of having control of the entire city/empire, I thought you could be in (some) control of a "culture" that you would define certain parameters (defining who can belong in your culture and what are the accepted behaviors etc). The society would be divided in "organizations" (could be starting as small as families) that cluster together forming bigger organizations 'till you get the Nation itself. Now, the more the people in these organizations lean towards the ideas that you represent, the more control you might have in those organizations. But you won't be the only driving force in the country. You may, however, be one of the driving forces in more than one country, if you manage to export your culture away. Thus, being conquered does not end a game (in fact, playing as a conquered culture should probably be awesome fun). You can chose to be strongly xenophobic and define your culture by race (even thou still competing with other cultures inside your country that do not care about race) or define your culture entirely on religion and spread through many countries (but probably not having full control of any) and so on. This would be building oriented (certain building having certain effects, and giving certain powers according to how many people there are from your culture) the buildings would be divided by "organization" they belong to:
- A regular house belongs to a family, gives you a small spreading value if you control it.
- A Army Base represents the Army organization - which could give you power to take control over the country with a coup d'etat.
And as long as you have enough people from your culture, you can create your own organizations with their buildings. Schools (for indoctrination!), Churches (for converting people) and so on. And if you have enough control over the government (monarch, president, congress) you can ban certain organizations and their buildings - to get the enemies off your country.

the idea is to be pretty open, any culture can create a organization and it's buildings inside a country, so long as they have enough followers. A religious culture could create a new army base (you know, survivalist cult style), but each country would then start limiting what other cultures can or cannot do in their countries. It might become illegal to have a religious army base and your dreams of your spiritual revolution will go away... unless you disobey and make a covert army base. Any building should be able to function as another one. However this stealth action limits the powers of the building, and gives a chance to the culture in power to find out. As soon as they find out, you get backlash. It might end-up working on your favor, though. A minority may have control of a country and oppressive actions against your group might give sympathy to your cause. Or not.
Also, when I say any culture can create a organization and it's building, I mean any building. Including a Palace. That's how former colonies and separatist regions will gain independence. And there would be international buildings, once you get enough followers in other nations, you can then build a central church with a pope-like figure that can concentrate your world power into actions affecting any nation you have followers on, or a U.N. style organization.

This system was designed to create a form of government that relates more to what I see in real life. Even non-democratic countries don't have absolute control over their nation. Some established government have way less control than they appear, too. Also, I envision it as being hard to have 100% control of any building you did not create (and even some you did create) so in many times your decisions would need to be backed up by other factions. Now that is a Empire Building game that encourages democracy (or not, but it will shows how bloody hard it is to get a police state going). Despite me talking about buildings, notice that i'm thinking nations, not cities. Every nation would have a few cities, and every city a bunch of buildings. Yes, that is one huge map, when you put countries in, I know. I'd make it 2d, isometric maybe. And probably wouldn't be able to keep track of individual citizens - which is fine.

And finally, My Third Idea which is by far the craziest one. I love conworld (worldbuilding) and conlang (artificial language) and my idea is basically to create a 2d platform-like world with some simple rules and some inhabitants. Basically it's a alife game, but the twist here being... instead of having them competing to see the better adapted life form to that 2d world, I want them competing to see which one can create the most "natural-looking" language they can (creating a vocabulary out of objects, actions and events available in game - so it's gonna be a little bit limited, granted) but i want the individuals being able to formulate phrases in such language that make sense and are in context of their universe. Basically, I want them to only be able to cooperate through communication and that communication to not be (at least completely) pre-programed. Even if it's not "naturally" evolved, but simulated, it must "feel" as naturally evolved as possible. They would need some sort of social organization (also procedurally generated) that dictates small things that will make it feel more natural too, otherwise their whole communications would be "do this, do that" as they coordinate  actions, and no polite phrases with no actual practical use (they would NEVER ask "how are you" otherwise).
The fun (for me anyway) in this game -- aside from being able to create a computer generated language that can "feel" natural -- would be trying to make sense of what they are saying, and possibly interacting with them. How open ended could they be? would they care for a conversation that does no involve anything they are programmed to do? Could you possibly teach new things to them? Increase their vocabulary? Would they be able to understand on some level concepts that are not present in the game? Get them to worship you as a god? :P
I reckon that one is more of a pet project and not going to be amusing to many people other than the few like me that care this much for world building that we even made a lingo for it. Also reckon that this will most likely be seed for the A.I. that will take over the world eventually.

Darn it, now I feel like sitting down and try to program one of those again.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 06:01:04 am »

Outpost 2: Divided Destiny but altered around so that there are more 'peices' that can be taken apart or put together; more structures have more features and abilities, vehicles are sized properly relative to structures, and colonists are sorted into more then just Child, Worker, and Scientist. The game would be called "Oupost 3: First Contact" because during the campaign, the third outer-most planet you establish an outpost on (your third colony) will encounter an alien species.

The campaign would be set to follow a script (but not a scripted sequence) depending on the difficulty you chose. Easy mode always starts you on the same planet, in the same solar system in every game, but the rest of the galaxy is randomly, proceedurally generated. Normal mode puts you onto the same planet every game, but the other planets in the solar system are as randomly proceedurally generated as the rest of the galaxy. Hard mode forces you to start on the colony space ship, in space, and then fly to the nearest suitable planet in a solar system; yes, you can fly your ship into a black hole or neutron star or other feature of space and lose the game right then. (tis hard mode for a reason) The only way to encounter the same planet, solar system, or galaxy on any difficulty is to use a fixed game seed for the RNG to use instead of a random one.

It's presumed that the Earth is dead from a planet-killer asteroid, so you won't be getting any help from home, ever. All the people and resources you have are all you'll ever have; 1000, 700, and 400 people are all the people you get in easy, normal, and hard difficulty respectively. Depending on difficulty, you can have lots of other resources or very little, but one thing is certain; that you will be given several irreplaceable items that you must protect until the later stages where you can finally replace them, or create substitutes. One such item is the "Gene Bank" which is a combination supercomputer that stores DNA sequences, and cyrogenics storage that stores real genetic material from both the colonists on board the ship, and from earth or the colony that created it. (obviously irreplaceable data and materials in the case of the original earth gene bank; which is a unique item and labled as such)

From there, it's generally the same gameplay of OP2; simcity in space with light RTS elements... But remember, i said there'd be more peices to buildings and other things. Instead of predefined roles assigned to a building like OP2, the player instead creates "structure shells" that are then filled with structure kit items; all built from a "structure factory" which is basically a factory-type shell structure that's been loaded with structure manufacturing and other kits. Like being able to load a guns' magazine with different bullets of the same size, a player can customize their structures a hell of a lot more. This also influences one vehicle that's been totally under-used in the original OP2: Scouts. Since every building shell looks the same on the outside, and only the owner knows what's inside, an enemy player would be forced to scout the building for its contents, to avoid killing civilians and thus decreasing their own colony's morale. (unless they're filthy xenos :P ) But lets say the player is being sneaky and putting weapons in their residence buildings... Well, just scout the building and target the structure section that has the weapons in them; that one segment of the structure collapses leaving the others alone, but no civilians should be harmed. (unless chain reaction collapse; and of course YOUR population won't like you're putting things that could get them killed so close to them, too)

But then i thought: Why stop at buildings? Apply the same modification ability to vehicles. After all, in the original OP2 game, there are some vehicles that basically ARE the exact same basic model, but with one part swapped out; construction vehicles are using the same tractor graphic as the cargo truck vehicles do. (not to mention all the combat vehicles with only their turrets being different) So, vehicles can have their internal and external attachments altered. A scout can get its building scanner replaced with a geology sampler; a tractor can get its cargo trailer replaced with a dedicated manipulator arm bed, or a combination cargo trailer/manipulator arm to become a construction vehicle. Military vehicles are also alterable; swap out one turret for another turret without having to replace the entire chassis, or upgrade the armor or power plant or whatever.

Then of course you have the colonists themselves. In OP2 they were basically a third, fourth, and fifth resource, and never really changed aside from Child->Worker unless you directly ordered them to become a scientist. So, deepening the level of alterability, the Child->Worker becomes Child->Civilian, where civilians can then be educated into "Scientist" which does sciency-things, "Engineer" which is the scientist of mechanical things, and "Administration" which keeps everything running smoothly. All of these roles can change to something else (including back to civilian) or educated further to "Dedicated" status; the catch with being dedicated is that they can't (won't) go back or change to anything else, but they're really damn good at what they do. (yes, civilians can be dedicated to being a civilian; think "famous people") But colonists are still just a faceless resource you can build up and throw away...

So then i figured, "Give them a face" so the player has to care about not throwing away their lives (1000 seems like a big number on easy mode... even 400 is a big number on hard mode. but they're still all you get to start with) or risk throwing away their lives by being careless with the general colony population. Upon being designated a "VIP" from any of the four job positions (civilian, scientist, engineer, admin) the colonist will be randomly generated a name, face, and stats relevant to their current position as well as some personality quirks. Then they can be assigned to a structure that will boost that structures' capabilities, reduce its penalities, and other things; ALL positions give any structure a benefit, like an assigned scientist at a smelter can increase ore yield. Needless to say, VIP+Dedicated=Awsomeness. Catch is, you can only have so many VIPs per population; and since you can't really control them all the time (they DO make requests like DF nobles, but less insane) everyone gets to benefit from their aura of "MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO DIE" because protecting the VIP as he sleeps in a residence building with military vehicles outside also protects everyone else who's sleeping in that building.

And then finally the aliens...

And rant done
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 04:49:23 am »

I'm working on ideas for a sort of Pipe Dream clone. Here's what I've got so far:

Spoiler: Emittance (click to show/hide)

Still very much a WIP. Instead of being grid based, placing mirrors and other things is freeform - the mirrors redirect the lasers relative to the angle that the laser enters the mirror on. So a laser entering a right-emitting 90º mirror at 0º (going towards the top of the screen) will be redirected towards the right side of the screen, a laser going at 147º hitting a right-emitting Adjustable Mirror set at 32º will leave the mirror going at 115º, etc. The direction a mirror emits to is relative to the screen, not the beam.

However, I may be limited to a grid based system, because I have zero experience programming games, and I can tell that this is going to be pretty complicated.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 05:06:17 am »

A game where you play as some sort of person, be it adventurer or something else, where you only control yourself.  It should be more expansive than most RPGs, where you don't have to fight for money, you can get any job.  You can get into politics, but it doesn't become a strategy game, you just enact certain policies and solve a few problems.  I really just want a good simulator where you can do anything you want, in the real world and beyond. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3