Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Game Mockups Thread  (Read 4843 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game Mockups Thread
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »

This thread will hopefully become a database for game ideas supported by mockups for people who have good ideas but cant program, or can but want to share their vision first.

I will use this as my personal place to post my mockups, but everyone is welcom to join in and provide their ideas as long as they have mockups.

So, the first idea for now is a tycoon game i called Google Tycoon.
ever wanted to connect your small hell hole village with a saphisticated metro system? well, now you can.

in this game, hundreds of thousands of people compete over being the greatest transport empire in the world based of google maps. (this multyplayer aspect is optional, i think it can also work as a single player game.) the initial marking of transport stops will be deleted from the maps, so the players start out fresh. they will have the ability to build new roads but not change existing ones.

traffic data will be taken from the maps themselves, so is the pupolation rates in each area. there will be transport of goods aswell but the data of the location and type of industries would have to be put in artifically as i am not sure how much google maps is good at it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Game Mockups Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:00:49 am »

There have been a few topics from people looking for (small) ideas, aggegrating them might be a good idea. Posting, to follow.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:02:34 pm »

A top-down steampunk RTS. Just think about it.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 04:44:40 pm »

I still want to make my Terraformer some day. You control the advance-mission of swarm robots, prepping a world for human habitation.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 01:02:11 am »

if am not mistaken (havent played it) rise of nations sequel was steampunkish

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:11:34 am »

What first sprung up in my mind was Command and Conquer : Red Alert 2...

Then I realized it's more like retrofuturistic.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 02:13:04 am »

I still want to make my Terraformer some day. You control the advance-mission of swarm robots, prepping a world for human habitation.

So it's like a terraforming game? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 02:22:53 am »

Also, my idea is a sort of game based on the show Meerkat Manor.  You would be in direct control of one animal, and one animal only.  Your species forages and occasionally hunts for food, but you cannot control the others directly.  Since the animal that you directly control is the leader of the other animals, you can indirectly command them to follow you, you can command to stand watch, but how they actually execute these movements is up to them. 

To raise new pups ( I will call these creatures vlogs, from now on ), you have to teach them certain behavior, such as calling for help when confronted with a predator, how to properly forage for food, essentially how to survive.  As I have said, you can only directly control one vlog, but the others can learn from you and by working together, your nest can survive. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 02:23:31 am »

I've been wanting a terraforming game as well. I've basically had two designs rolling around my head: one that's fairly sophisticated and accurate, and one coffeebreak Roguelike where the player's task is to turn an ugly rocky desert into a pretty garden while a Blue Meanie attempts to sabotage this with the player never actually engaging in combat. The problem with the first one is that I don't know enough about that stuff to make it into an accurate simulator - fine, I wanted a game, not a simulator, but that may just increase the difficulty because I'd have to *invent* stuff that feels natural to the player. Nothing's blocking the second project though, I might as well get cracking with it this weekend unless I have a nice idea for LCS instead.

Anyone interested in a small gardening game? :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:29:04 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 02:24:47 am »

I've got a few ideas kicking around. Let me write 'em out and I'll post 'em.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 02:27:46 am »

So it's like a terraforming game?
Wow, what gave that away? ;)
Yeah, a bit like "settlers... in SPAAAACCEEEE" combined with a lot of chemistry (make greenhouse gases, make sure there's potable water, soil that can support plants, etc, while maintaining and building robots in your swarm). Some planets you need to heat up, others will need to cool down, or de-acidify, or sometimes there's no atmosphere at all. I started on it once, 8 years ago, but never finished it. Maybe I will, someday.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 06:10:16 am »

I've been wanting a terraforming game as well. I've basically had two designs rolling around my head: one that's fairly sophisticated and accurate, and one coffeebreak Roguelike where the player's task is to turn an ugly rocky desert into a pretty garden while a Blue Meanie attempts to sabotage this with the player never actually engaging in combat. The problem with the first one is that I don't know enough about that stuff to make it into an accurate simulator - fine, I wanted a game, not a simulator, but that may just increase the difficulty because I'd have to *invent* stuff that feels natural to the player. Nothing's blocking the second project though, I might as well get cracking with it this weekend unless I have a nice idea for LCS instead.

I'd play it, as long as you promise to call it SmurfsRL.

I've always wanted to make an RTS that was essentially the antithesis of games like Starcraft and Command and Conquer. That is, one that is less about micromanagement of troops and more about "macromanagement" of your war machine. Closer in concept to Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander.

There would be buildings for producing units and resources to collect, but the challenge would be in creating an efficient base layout and "programming" your buildings to create complex construction chains to convert resources into units and tools you could use. Sort of a high-concept programming game like SpaceChem.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 06:23:58 am »

creating an efficient base layout and "programming" your buildings to create complex construction chains to convert resources into units and tools you could use
Oh, I like that. And include a scheduling system such as RailRoadtycoon or Colonization for the logistics... Spacechem looks pretty cool, btw.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 06:26:18 am »

I guess Smurfs would work well if the game was like Dwarf Fortress, but this is supposed to be the player going solo (well, friendly nice creatures like bunnies and butterflies and ponies excluded) against only one enemy - lifelessness. Oh yeah, and then there's that Blue Meanie (see this).

The way I envisioned it, the Blue Meanie and the player could not actually harm each other. The Blue Meanie would have a random assembly of tricks (summoning parasites, setting fires, cursing plants, causing droughts, poisoning soil...) for ruining the garden and tease the player with traditional RL "annoying" attacks (teleport other, for example). The player could throw various items at the Blue Meanie, but that would, at best, scare it away for a while. The Blue Meanie would also be repelled and weakened by the garden itself - it hates all things pretty, and that's why it tries to destroy the garden before it's too late...

I've got a few basic plans on this, and I intend to work on them to produce a playable game. When? Dunno. Maybe I'll get started today, maybe tomorrow, maybe next year.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:09:53 am by Kay12 »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 08:10:08 am »

I've always wanted to make an RTS that was essentially the antithesis of games like Starcraft and Command and Conquer. That is, one that is less about micromanagement of troops and more about "macromanagement" of your war machine. Closer in concept to Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander.

There would be buildings for producing units and resources to collect, but the challenge would be in creating an efficient base layout and "programming" your buildings to create complex construction chains to convert resources into units and tools you could use. Sort of a high-concept programming game like SpaceChem.

i had a variation of this in my mind aswell after i saw anomaly warzone earth. you build the base in a more economic robust way and do not control your units, but designate routes of attacks and program a few "reaction programs" to your soldiers. ie - if a platoon contact an enemy in the open field, the heavy gunner goes to the right and start pinning them down while the assault team charge them with assault rifles.. stuff like that.). there could be tons of reaction programs for different situations (close combat, against infantry, against armour, etc.) so basically after you program the soldiers attack doctrines you just sit back and watch the war fight itself.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:14:26 am by burningpet »
Pages: [1] 2 3