Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Marriages  (Read 2310 times)

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Dwarven Marriages
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:30:27 pm »

I am embarking and killing all but two dwarves with the intention of breeding an entire fortress. My questions are:

1. Will two dwarves of opposite gender inevitably marry at some point?
2. Is it possible to embark with a pair of already married dwarves?
3. Is there a way to force or coax a marriage with or without modding/dfhack?
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Marriages
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:33:48 pm »

1) No.
2) No.
3) If your dwarves spend more time together (in the meeting hall, generally) they will become better friends. This also increases the likeliness of marriage. There is no certainty of getting dwarves to marry, though. Even if nobody has any jobs, it's possible that none of your starting seven will marry. For the greatest chance, though, stick them together as much as possible. This is why your less useful dwarves seem to marry more.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:41:52 pm »

Murder the rest after the first marriage. That way you have a cool little minigame going for your dwarves before the main course.

Big Brother anyone
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:07:29 pm »

Murder the rest after the first marriage. That way you have a cool little minigame going for your dwarves before the main course.

Big Brother anyone

More like Survivor,

"Urist, you have a choice--marry Uristette and procreate or be slowly engulfed by magma."

"Umm...can I think about this a bit?"
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:49:28 pm »

dwarves won't incest iirc, so are you just going to see how long you last with only the second generation of dwarves ?
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:31:50 pm »

dwarves won't incest iirc, so are you just going to see how long you last with only the second generation of dwarves ?

Quite a while, if you happen to start with to young dwarves. They could pop out a child at least once a year (and will do so if given enough free time) and can live live up to 170 if no giant badger or magma bath comes earlier. So... 100 dwarves and more than 200 years years are possible without problems, if you play long enough. Of course, when the last second generation dwarf dies, so does your fort.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:05:48 pm »

I would probably use 2 pairs of dwarves if I were you. This way you will have a 3rd generation of dwarves and you won't be stuck with 2 dwarves to do everything in your fortress for something like 12 or 13 years.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »

What if we were to use an egg laying race? Then, would it technically last forever?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 07:14:17 pm »

Like Kobolds?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:05:22 pm »

What if we were to use an egg laying race? Then, would it technically last forever?

If I recall correctly, it's near impossible to have a egg-laying civ actually reproduce. They have to stay on the nest box until the babies are born or the eggs will never hatch. This means that the creature must not leave the tile to eat, drink, sleep, etc.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »

Wow, how can Kobolds stand that?
If anything, just turn off migrants and use those starting dwarves (Along with the hard wired two migrant waves) as the foundation.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 08:59:42 pm »

I was planning to mod max age so old age wouldn't be an issue. As long as I can get them to have children, they should just keep having kids.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 01:08:11 am »

What would happen  if you set [MALE][FEMALE] true for both castes, would this help with increasing marriage/reproduction? Just uh, don't observe them too closely.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 02:42:07 am »

I did some research on this before DF2010. See The Real Wagon. Some dwarf personalities just don't mesh. In order for two dwarves to marry, they need to be friends. In order to be friends, they need to spend some time socializing. This means they need to be near each other when they have no jobs to perform. Meeting halls, which are good places to throw parties, might help but are not strictly necessary. However, if they have conflicting personality traits, they will never become friends.

If you want to try an Adam and Eve type scenario, why not start off with a Real Wagon start. Once your first couple has paired off they can dig a hole in the ground and seal themselves in with all the supplies. No need to kill the other migrants, let them run feral, living off brookwater and vermin.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:08:25 pm »

I did some research on this before DF2010. See The Real Wagon. Some dwarf personalities just don't mesh. In order for two dwarves to marry, they need to be friends. In order to be friends, they need to spend some time socializing. This means they need to be near each other when they have no jobs to perform. Meeting halls, which are good places to throw parties, might help but are not strictly necessary. However, if they have conflicting personality traits, they will never become friends.

If you want to try an Adam and Eve type scenario, why not start off with a Real Wagon start. Once your first couple has paired off they can dig a hole in the ground and seal themselves in with all the supplies. No need to kill the other migrants, let them run feral, living off brookwater and vermin.
I'm killing them off because I don't plan to seal myself up. I chose a nice coastline for exactly that reason.
Pages: [1] 2