Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Marriages  (Read 2312 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Marriages
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 08:24:17 pm »

Of course, you'll prolly have to build slabs for all of them right away, unless you're OK with being wiped out by ghosts......
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 08:25:00 pm »

2) No.
I could swear I've had two of my starting dwarves be husband and wife before.  I know for sure that I have had my two starting miners (well, the miner and mason, both set to mining) start a relationship before the first migrant wave appeared as well, since they were working in close proximity and taking breaks at about the same time.  As Milaga said, however, they need to be compatible and become friends before they have a chance to form a relationship and get married.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 10:23:21 pm »

What if we were to use an egg laying race? Then, would it technically last forever?

If I recall correctly, it's near impossible to have a egg-laying civ actually reproduce. They have to stay on the nest box until the babies are born or the eggs will never hatch. This means that the creature must not leave the tile to eat, drink, sleep, etc.

In my experience, no, the mother doesn't have to sit on the nest constantly.  The eggs just need to not be moved after they're layed.  The mothers will get up to eat, drink, sleep, and do jobs, and sit on the nest in their free time, and the eggs still hatch.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 12:35:25 am »

What if we were to use an egg laying race? Then, would it technically last forever?

If I recall correctly, it's near impossible to have a egg-laying civ actually reproduce. They have to stay on the nest box until the babies are born or the eggs will never hatch. This means that the creature must not leave the tile to eat, drink, sleep, etc.

In my experience, no, the mother doesn't have to sit on the nest constantly.  The eggs just need to not be moved after they're layed.  The mothers will get up to eat, drink, sleep, and do jobs, and sit on the nest in their free time, and the eggs still hatch.

Interesting! I wasn't aware of this.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 12:41:07 am »

What if the mother dies? Will the eggs still hatch?
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 [2]