Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you use Unarmed Fighting - This can be Wrestling, Striking, a Blend...

Yes, Always
- 55 (15.8%)
Yes, Sometimes
- 194 (55.7%)
Yes, But Only If I Need To
- 43 (12.4%)
No, I Prefer Weaponry
- 50 (14.4%)
Other
- 6 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 348

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?  (Read 36001 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 10:31:11 pm »

I don't train on animals, I train on unconscious peasants.

Peasants are animals, nothing more!
No. They are not.
THEY ARE VERMIN.
Peasants are people, just like you are!! How would you like it if a peasant came up to you, called you vermin and killed you?!?!

I've had peasant companions with me, them guys are DEADLY with their knife. One of my peasant companions killed a Moon Troll, helped by two other peasants, and nothing more. A Moon Troll. A BLOODY MOON TROLL. WITH A BLOODY KNIFE. Are you impressed? They had nothing more than wimpy little knives.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 01:52:22 am »

Peasant knives are actually pretty crazy. If you look in the raws you'll see that the various kinds of knives they start with have stab attacks with penetration areas of 2 to 4. This is compared to 20 for spears and pikes. When you consider that peasants have weapons that are five to ten times as sharp as spearmen and pikemen, it makes a lot of sense that they tend to be the most badass of your companions.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 03:28:23 am »

I'd enjoy unarmed combat a hell of a lot more if punches and kicks to the head didn't kill the opponent so much as knock them the fuck out. Come on, how fun would it be to play punch-out with the population of an entire city? Bonus points if Toady ever implements the ability to take items from unconscious foes.

Granted, master strikers/kickers should be able to kill people quite easily.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:34:07 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 06:31:34 am »

Well, I found strangling humanoids throats very useful.  After you grab their throat, choke and strange it, they will pass out. That makes them a very easy target for kick in head.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 07:40:57 am »

I don't train on animals, I train on unconscious peasants.

Peasants are animals, nothing more!
No. They are not.
THEY ARE VERMIN.
Peasants are people, just like you are!! How would you like it if a peasant came up to you, called you vermin and killed you?!?!

I've had peasant companions with me, them guys are DEADLY with their knife. One of my peasant companions killed a Moon Troll, helped by two other peasants, and nothing more. A Moon Troll. A BLOODY MOON TROLL. WITH A BLOODY KNIFE. Are you impressed? They had nothing more than wimpy little knives.
They are effective as Companions, yes.
But we are Slaves to Armok, and his will must Empower us to Great and Worthy deeds. And such... Cattle, cannot be considered any more than what they are - Things in our way.

Well, I found strangling humanoids throats very useful.  After you grab their throat, choke and strange it, they will pass out. That makes them a very easy target for kick in head.
Why kill them so swiftly? There is so much FUN to be had!
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 07:45:12 am »

I agree.  Let all peasants beware my wrestlers, for all those who cross him shall not find a quick death.  Your death shall involve multiple bones being broken, various parts of your face being gouged, and other parts just plain ripped off. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 09:00:19 am »

I'd enjoy unarmed combat a hell of a lot more if punches and kicks to the head didn't kill the opponent so much as knock them the fuck out. Come on, how fun would it be to play punch-out with the population of an entire city? Bonus points if Toady ever implements the ability to take items from unconscious foes.

Granted, master strikers/kickers should be able to kill people quite easily.

You can already take items from enemies, unconscious or not, by grappling the item with an empty hand using the wrestling menu, then (I)nteracting with the item to gain acquisition of it.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 09:18:53 am »

But the FUN starts right after that, just let them pass out to cause much lesser possible problems.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:46 pm »

I do it from time to time.
Usually when I'm in Imagination Defcon 5

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2011, 06:00:09 am »

i actually like using wrestling/striking/kicking. biting is only useful for throats and extremities IMO but yea i agree about kicking. very helpful.

my personal tip. use a weapon in conjunction. not everything can be killed by a lucky kick to the head.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2011, 06:05:27 am »

I still haven't quite figured it out, but love supplementing my sword slashes and spear stabs with kicks and punches to various areas, and also grabbing a particularly dodgy foe to hold them still at least temporarily until my spear gets stuck in them.

solid agreement on the holding still one. bandit leaders in my world often seem to start as legendary dodgers or something.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2011, 10:23:39 am »

I do this a lot as a ninja when my arrow gets stuck in his bone and he passes out from pain, though instead of kicking his skull in, I stab him with either my starting dagger (which can sometimes be relatively deadly) or a slicing knife I pick up from a night beast's lair.

Bonus points if Toady ever implements the ability to take items from unconscious foes.
ULTIMATE ASSASSINATION!!!!!!!!!! I could decide to wage war on another civ (other than my own!), wait till nightfall, go into the keep, sneak past the guards in the towers and the sleeping people in the keep, go up to the flashing purple guy, wrestle his knife out of his hand, stab or slash his throat with his own knife, and repeat with the sleeping soldiers and peasants. Then I could shoot the soldiers standing outside by morning, then stab their heads open. 'But what if soldiers in the towers come down to challenge you?' one may ask. I'll strange him till he passes out and stab his head open. 'And what if there are archers in the towers shooting at you?' Well, then, it's probably time to get the BLOODY HELL OUTTA THERE!!!

I still haven't quite figured it out, but love supplementing my sword slashes and spear stabs with kicks and punches to various areas, and also grabbing a particularly dodgy foe to hold them still at least temporarily until my spear gets stuck in them.
I'm gonna see how effective using two different weapons at once would be. My combos:
Sword and spear,
Axe and spear,
Sword and dagger,
Axe and dagger,
Spear and dagger.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 03:39:42 pm »

Bonus points if Toady ever implements the ability to take items from unconscious foes.
ULTIMATE ASSASSINATION!!!!!!!!!! I could decide to wage war on another civ (other than my own!), wait till nightfall, go into the keep, sneak past the guards in the towers and the sleeping people in the keep, go up to the flashing purple guy, wrestle his knife out of his hand, stab or slash his throat with his own knife, and repeat with the sleeping soldiers and peasants.

Um. you CAN grab his knife and wrestle his knife out of his hand. It's a freebie if he's unconscious first, too - no check to see whether he or you gets to win the contest for it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:25:28 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »

recently i'v been taking my victims' equipment and beating them to death with there own sock, why? cus its funny as hell mostly.

sadly i got punched in the thumb by a boogyman a few adventures back and it for some reason instant killed my super badass striker/wrestler guy :(
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

ryan5050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 04:52:16 am »

Lately I've been using wrestling exclusively. Though my only problem is fighting Bronze Colossi. Can't seem to get a grip on em.

Wonder how I would go about modding the game to play as a Bronze Colossus...
Deon's mod lets you be a Bronze Colossus
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17