Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you use Unarmed Fighting - This can be Wrestling, Striking, a Blend...

Yes, Always
- 55 (15.8%)
Yes, Sometimes
- 194 (55.7%)
Yes, But Only If I Need To
- 43 (12.4%)
No, I Prefer Weaponry
- 50 (14.4%)
Other
- 6 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 348

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?  (Read 36037 times)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2011, 12:04:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No, but eating an living, sentient enemy is elvish. I'm not talking about cutting him to pieces THEN eating him, I'm talking about eating it while it's whole. That's what only they and animals do.

No, I don't have any problems with animals, they can't use sharp stuff to cut corpses.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2011, 12:42:39 pm »

No, but eating an living, sentient enemy is elvish. I'm not talking about cutting him to pieces THEN eating him, I'm talking about eating it while it's whole. That's what only they and animals do.

No, I don't have any problems with animals, they can't use sharp stuff to cut corpses.
Thats My point, really.
Dwarves and Humans can rip the Flesh of anything.
Just because Elves do it doesnt make it a sin for them - The imbeciles probably stole the concept anyway.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2011, 04:22:44 pm »

Speaking of, someone needs to make a mod so that anyone coined a wrestler comes with copper/iron/bronze knuckle dusters. I'd take nothng BUT wrestlers as companions if that was the case.

And I'd custom name their professions to Butler and Maid.

What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2011, 04:45:26 pm »

I tried that once in 40d and I don't think it worked... It might be possible nowadays, though, but you might have to put emphasis on striking instead of wrestling. I'll see what I can do from cloning a mace.

Looks pretty good, I think. Cheap archers... -______________________- Anyway, I had to make a custom reaction to get one in-game since you don't spawn with them no matter how high your striking is. I added it to the allowed weapons for dwarves in the entity_default file and everything. :\ Currently I have it sent for grasp_strike although I could change it to wrestling if that's preferred. The weapon's pretty beastly for breaking necks, though. :3 Here's the code:

Code: (Add this to item_weapon) [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KNUCKLES]
[NAME:knuckleduster:knuckledusters]
[SIZE:200]
[SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[TWO_HANDED:27500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:100]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000]
Code: (Add this to reaction_other) [Select]
[REACTION:SUMMON_KNUCKLES]
   [NAME:Summon Knuckles]
   [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KNUCKLES:INORGANIC:STEEL:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:CONCENTRATION]

[REACTION:CREATE_KNUCKLES]
[NAME:Make knuckleduster from weapon]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:A:1:WEAPON:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KNUCKLES:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

The 'create knuckles' reaction is taken from the Corruption mod and is there to be a little more fair, since 'summon' just gets you steel ones. They'd probably be better as lead or platinum, but eh. It was just a test anyway. :3
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:22:05 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

andreus015

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2011, 01:06:54 pm »

I want  Chuck Norris Dwarves

ROUND HOUSE KICK!!!

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2011, 09:20:42 pm »

My last adventurer was an MMA fighter. He boxed people, and would sometimes use a wrestling takedown so that he could ground pound. Not much kicking, a lot of striking. Shattering wrists is great fun. He had to retire after a hydra took his foot and forearm.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2011, 09:28:10 pm »

I'll go in sword-and-free hand sometimes.  Simple strategy - Grab the biggest piece of armor on them, tear it off, then stab them in their now exposed flesh.  Helps take care of material gaps.

Plus, getting a hand around an enemy's throat makes it harder for him to dodge.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2011, 10:49:43 pm »

Mostly...if I have a sword I just beat Legendary King Murdering Ettin's to death with their own heads...

But I have been having a blast with knuckle-dusters on a very large Nord.

Grabbing people by the head and punching them, then letting go to get the message that they fall down. Makes you feel like a bad ass.

Also, can not wait for internal bleeding and more -vital- vital organs. I shouldn't be able to pulpify someone's chest cavity and still be fighting them.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2011, 05:50:08 am »

Generally I like to have my adventurers be at least somewhat versed in wrestling/biting, but all too commonly I'll make a gimmick character who wrestles weapons and boxes skulls. As we speak I have my centaur adventurer Equius (demigoded for STRONG punches) who roams the land and beats giants to death with his bare hands. Of course this being Genesis unarmed kills are even more inefficient than ever, but it makes you feel like such a badass.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:42:41 pm by Tastysaurus Rex »
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2011, 03:31:57 pm »

Anyway, I had to make a custom reaction to get one in-game since you don't spawn with them no matter how high your striking is. I added it to the allowed weapons for dwarves in the entity_default file and everything. :\ Currently I have it sent for grasp_strike although I could change it to wrestling if that's preferred. The weapon's pretty beastly for breaking necks, though. :3 Here's the code:

Code: (Add this to item_weapon) [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KNUCKLES]
[NAME:knuckleduster:knuckledusters]
[SIZE:200]
[SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[TWO_HANDED:27500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:100]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000]
Code: (Add this to reaction_other) [Select]
[REACTION:SUMMON_KNUCKLES]
   [NAME:Summon Knuckles]
   [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KNUCKLES:INORGANIC:STEEL:A:NONE]

[REACTION:CREATE_KNUCKLES]
[NAME:Make knuckleduster from weapon]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:A:1:WEAPON:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KNUCKLES:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

The 'create knuckles' reaction is taken from the Corruption mod and is there to be a little more fair, since 'summon' just gets you steel ones. They'd probably be better as lead or platinum, but eh. It was just a test anyway. :3
I added summon knuckles to the reaction_other file, and the weapon to the item_weapon file, too, but I do not see the reaction in the x-screen.
Is it listed somewhere else or did I do something wrong?
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2011, 03:38:10 pm »

Did you gen a new world?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2011, 03:47:09 pm »

Oh, dumb me.
Genning now.
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2011, 04:55:01 pm »

I love unarmed combat. My adventurer is spending several cheerful days kicking badgers to death in an abandoned fortress.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2011, 02:35:57 pm »

I was using the knuckles on a very large nord...since they worked better then punching...

But after I got to legendary +5 Scratch seemed to work -better- then having a weapon.

Sure, it didn't jam skulls into brains, but it would fracture the skull and BRUISE the brain. Killing them just as dead.

I got jumped by boogie men later and was actually DECAPITATING them with my bare hands ((BEAR HANDS?!?))

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »

Well, I enjoy grabbing enemies at ears, nose, fingers etc and pinching them, even with "only" skilled striker most bits sail off in an arc.
Anyone need red paint?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17