Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: And kimberlite's not the only broken thing...  (Read 380 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
And kimberlite's not the only broken thing...
« on: November 26, 2007, 08:25:00 am »

Rock crystal is broken. I was considering naming the topic "Nerf Gabbro!"..  :)

Anyways. Rock crystal tends to appear in gabbro and tries very hard NOT to appear in any other rock layer.

What I basically did was add

[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_ALL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]

to the rock crystal's definition in the raws. I did this keeping the ALL_STONE tag too, but I don't suppose it influences it. In case it does, I'm conducting another experiment.

The experiment I did now was 'reveal'ing a 4x4 area with several layers of different kinds of rock. Of these, the bottommost gabbro layer had OODLES of rock crystal, there was more rock crystal than any other gems in the layer. In the layers of schist and rock salt above, there wasn't a single rock crystal to be found, except where gabbro leaked into the level from below.

This must be a bug. I'm now considering making crystals spawn as veins, like coal does, in hopes of fixing this behavior, unless removing ALL_STONE has an effect. Of course, the spawn rate will have to be nerfed then.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Durnheist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: And kimberlite's not the only broken thing...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »

Out of curiosity later tonight I'm going to try flat out deleting multitudes of gems from the raws of a separate install.  I'll leave rock crystal in and check some sites, see if I actually get any of it.  Honestly I don't feel compelled to have 30 different types of tourmalines, opals, jaspers etc..

But I *need* my freaking crystal glass.

EDIT:  I tried a few different things, like deleting out many of the gems.  That helped, but didn't guarantee the presence of rock crystal.  However, I did find a method that seemed to guarantee it without deleting any gems and that was to redefine it to "CLUSTER_ONE" from "CLUSTER_SMALL".  I left it otherwise totally the same, with just the all_stone tag for environment.  This put a smattering of rock crystal in most of my layers of stone.  Obviously only one of them per occurrence, but since it seemed to be present in most layers and fairly frequent it should still be plenty.

[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: Durnheist ]