Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action  (Read 24856 times)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Re: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2012, 05:11:09 pm »

Just got the game.

First impressions: Hey. Cool. They sort of recreated the intro. Okay.

Tutorial: Nice. Elaborate and not dragging on too much.

First startup: WHERE IS IMP?????? Oh well. No wages either? Meh.

First battle: Okay, going steady. No FoW makes it a bit easy, but whatever. Shot a few guys with machetes.

... Later- Camera.. being.. a.. prick... WHY IS IT ALT TO ROTATE. Dear god. Why can't I remap it? Why can't I remap ANYTHING?

Shot a few dudes later - .. I only have one mag. Well, I am boned. All these guys I've shot had machetes.

*restart*

This isn't looking too promising. Feels like a console port.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2012, 02:20:42 am »

I picked it up, and I've actually really been enjoying it. Takes a bit to get used to it, and I agree that the inability to remap keys is pretty lame. But overall I've been having a lot of fun.

I do wish IMP had been an option, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2012, 09:30:38 am »

Uninstalled it already.

It just feels like an extremely lite and arcade/simplified version of JA2. Maybe there will be mods in a year from now that bring it up to decent levels.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:28 am »

It just feels like an extremely lite and arcade/simplified version of JA2. Maybe there will be mods in a year from now that bring it up to decent levels.
You're doing it wrong. Think of this game as an RPG/lite-tactics that has a JA2 themed total conversion installed. It's quite fun that way.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2012, 01:37:20 pm »

You're doing it wrong. Think of this game as an RPG/lite-tactics that has a JA2 themed total conversion installed. It's quite fun that way.
Thats kind of a good way to see it but knowing its a full game and not a mod.... feel weird... sad... DESTROY WANNA BE *RETAKER* whatever...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2012, 01:58:41 pm »

Having watched an LP about it and having played the demo, it isn't a bad game. Sure, it's got nothing on JA2 1.13. But Kalypso is working on bringing back some old features. So, I'm gonna take the plunge once a box copy pops up in my store. If Kalypso delivers, great. If they don't, last time I'm buying one of their games.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2012, 05:22:40 pm »

I really like it. It has a faster more frantic feel to it while it superficially seems simplified. Don't judge the game by the first 3 missions which are overly simplified and tutorial-esque in nature.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2012, 05:41:07 pm »

...Wait. "First three missions"? Are you saying it isn't even nonlinear any more?
Love, scriver~

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2012, 05:51:18 pm »

...Wait. "First three missions"? Are you saying it isn't even nonlinear any more?

It's still pretty non-linear. You don't HAVE to really do things in any order, although taking out the Drassan Airport is pretty much required and is the first mission. But the games does sort of guide you a bit if you do the missions that people give you in order. Although even doing that you'll quickly find that many of them aren't ones you can just go out and do immediately, so you end up with a mix of quick stuff and long term missions.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2012, 04:11:26 am »

I have a question regarding the history and not the game itself: if the airport is the only way to ship mercenaries in, how do you get there in the first place?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2012, 07:36:40 am »

In JA2, the airport was only for delivery of new weapons, supplies and for people leaving the country. You could get mercs shipped in anywhere where there wasn't Surface-to-Air Missile coverage. To start with, this is only one square at the top of the map in a small, bombed out town called Omerta. That's where you're dropped off at the beginning by helicopter to fend for yourself.

As you start to take out SAM sites, you can have people delivered almost anywhere on the map.

I have not played BIA, but that's how it worked in JA2.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2012, 09:16:42 am »

Also, taking control of the SAM sites, allows a chopper pilot you find to taxi your guys around, for a fee of course.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2012, 09:45:16 am »

BTW, for those who wish that this game had more of the traditional JA2 feel, the free online version is pretty close. While not as complex and clearly you will always do better in F2P games if you pay something, the game is fun and turn based. Also you make your first Merc. Try it for a couple of hours or don't try it at all though. The game uses PVE to train you until you can get into some PVP which is where the game shines IMHO. http://jaggedalliance.gamigo.com/en/
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2012, 12:12:16 pm »

I have a question regarding the history and not the game itself: if the airport is the only way to ship mercenaries in, how do you get there in the first place?

BIA doesn't actually say, but it does show some bordering countries close enough to the airport that I imagine you sneak in across the border. Well, it might say in the manual, but I haven't really read that much other than to determine how to do some stuff.
Come play Mafia with us!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2012, 06:31:19 am »

Well, I'm totally hooked on Jagged Alliance Online.  Aside from a couple almost-unforgivable issues (what do you mean you can't drop items while in missions?), the actual strategic gameplay is pretty solid.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10