Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action  (Read 24846 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2012, 11:00:29 pm »

Decided to try out the demo today. Not that bad, actually. And if the rumors of Fog of War being added in for release are true, then I may actually end up buying this at some point. I certainly had some fun with the demo, at least.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2012, 11:39:27 pm »

Is 7.62 actually any good?  I briefly remember it getting absolutely shredded at release.  Did mods make it playable?

edit
One thing to keep in mind, folks, is that JA has a rabid enough fanbase that it will almost DEFINITELY get modded to be the game it should be.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:41:50 pm by thepodger »

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2012, 05:31:21 am »

I watched one F jef play this a bit on his Twitch Stream and it looked cool and all, but I gotta say I'm disappointed

its the release day and it comes with 3 DLC which are essentially a camo reskin of 3 items each for €1.50 really wtf is this shit?! Considering they went the DLC route I doubt the game will be very mod friendly though.

I'll probably get the game when I see it for like 5 euros.

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2012, 06:26:59 pm »

So a friend of mine got the game despite all the bad previews, and the game crashes everytime he starts a mission  ::)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2012, 02:13:36 am »

Played it, just got Dressen town back, first mission went well, the Dressen Town attack went bad for one of my 3 team merc, he died but my doc saved his ass, he is alive but injured, i got the town with my 2 remaining merc and that basicly where i am. They fixed the cam somewhat, its more enjoyable, game mecanic interesting, but not much choice for weaponry. Im a bit disapointed but the game is still enjoyable.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2012, 08:01:43 am »

It's not like the first game had too much choice for weaponry early on either. Assuming you didn't hire all those autoweapon mercs for one day just to strip their weapons, you had to get the first few cities with pretty much pistols only.

Or maybe I just sucked.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2012, 09:34:15 pm »

I have tried this JA themed arcade-RPG, and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a lot. It feels like it needs achievements though.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2012, 10:50:58 pm »

So I finally found the time today to try this game out and I must say that I really enjoy it. It obviously has some flaws (especially the inventory management) but it's really fun so far and even though it is a different game, it has the Jagged Alliance feeling. I must admit that the Plan&Go System works really good .

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2012, 09:52:00 pm »

What would you predict the difficulty/frustration level to be like, for someone that plays X-Com on the second-easiest difficulty and sometimes save scums?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2012, 10:47:09 pm »

What would you predict the difficulty/frustration level to be like, for someone that plays X-Com on the second-easiest difficulty and sometimes save scums?

Bout zero, Im about 1/2 way though and i havent lost a guy, (im not sure if you can) no fog of war makes it easy and the mr potatohead AI makes it easier.  Its not actually a bad game, ill play it though, world map stuff is well done.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2012, 04:03:01 pm »

The learning curve is pretty much restricted to the first two missions. If you make it through them without losing a guy then you will be alright for the duration of the game, more or less. If you do die/lose a guy in the first or second mission, it's not a big deal to start over with different tactics/merc(s).
Only a simple mind can be certain.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2012, 07:04:56 pm »

If you do die/lose a guy in the first or second mission, it's not a big deal to start over with different tactics/merc(s).
+1 this. The game plays very differently from JA 2 (which is what the story line is based on), so you'll have to do a bit of re-learning, but generally the difficulty level is almost disspointingly low (X-Com fans will not be happy with this one ;D)

Also, I was reading this thread closely, but it seems from the in-game stuff (the mercs all have line for seeing/hearing enemies, the perception stat's description mentions it helping to spot enemies, there's equipment in the game that seems to aid it...) that Fog of War was planned to be in the game, but has been removed at, or slightly before, release (but after voicework!) Do you recon there will be a way to put it back?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2012, 05:27:12 am »

I MISS ELLIOT!!!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2012, 07:55:00 am »

I MISS ELLIOT!!!

That is something that got up my nose a bit, why have MOST of the old mercs and no new ones, it isnt like there is alot of work put  into each one
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2012, 10:23:17 am »

I fully expect a metric s-ton of DLC and paid expansions for this title. It is one of those rare cases where I encourage it, as soon as the price normalizes at $19.99 anyway.
Also, for those of you concerned about having to savescum, the game has a pretty intelligent autosave feature, so if you lose somebody and don't care about realism it's easy to go back a minute and fix it.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10