Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action  (Read 24840 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2012, 01:40:13 pm »

dont tell me i preordered for nothing...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2012, 02:01:36 pm »

It's an okay game, it's just not what I hoped it to be. I will most likely end up buying it, but not to premier price, I think.
Love, scriver~

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2012, 03:58:50 pm »

im a big fan of the UFO-after series wich was semi realtime pausable slowable whatever from what i saw in the movies from steam seem to hit the jackpot for me, but will see how it turn out in a few day when it unlock i just hope its not bug ridden
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:48 pm »

Demo runs at like 3 fps, even after I reduced everything as much as I could.  Bugger.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2012, 09:18:49 pm »

Tried the demo and as an early supporter of 'maybe they can do this right' I was REALLY let down. I hope this is a nail in the coffin of turning Turn-based games into pausable RT

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2012, 10:34:54 pm »

I also felt the sting of disappointment upon playing the demo. I don't have a problem with the fact that they went real time - case in point, I still occasionally play 7.62 High Calibre coupled with the Blue Sun mod. My problem is that the game feels unbalanced, the real time system is awkward and the gameplay is riddled with issues that make it an absolute chore to play. It's not fun.

All the minor annoyances aside, my major beef is the lack of fog of war, which really is inexcusable. That is the deal breaker for me. Gone is the sense of potential danger around every corner that is standard in these kinds of games, as well as the feeling of accomplishment that cautious players receive when they get the drop on and successfully ambush previously unseen enemies. That is one of the aspects of JA2, Silent Storm and other squad based games that has kept me coming back over the years. Caution should be rewarded. Instead you have every enemy shown as if you had clear LOS, thus a major element of strategy and realism is eliminated right off the bat.

Another detrimental aspect of removing FOW is that you cannot judge LOS on an enemy unless you select your merc and hover the mouse over the target in question. It is an unneccesary layer of tedious micromanagement that could have easily been avoided had they added colored markers or lines in pause mode that show which merc has LOS on which enemy. Or, hell, actually adding FOW to begin with. Bah.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2012, 05:51:46 pm »

Ill tell you i like the game so far but there is 3 major frustration point. The camera GOD its horrible, middle mouse button to rotate pretty PLEASE?! and whats up with the locked angle really... 7.62 does better than that yet its lot older.

Point 2. Tactical overview when pausing, great i like it really, BUT THE HELL CANT I USE THE RED ENNEMY ICON to TARGET HIM!!!! if he is by a window under a roof iu cannot shoot him because the camera doesnt pan down enough, cannot turn roof top off because i dont have enough intel inside the house, so im stuck cannot shoot ennemy trough window unless i get inside o.0 come on..... Having to danse tango with camera just so you can target a half hidden ennemy? no thanks....

Point 3, ok pause, ok real time, how about reducing time or faster time? really? nobody had the idea in the devs? Hell i love playing these kind of game on slowest speed so i dont miss anything, now its a space bar push fest... if i had a figure on the space bar it would be gone on over usage......

Thats my 3 main point anything else is well easy to cope with.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2012, 12:03:08 pm »

Welp, this sucks, glad I held out to preorder, seeing the demo I won't bother unless it turns out to be amazing at launch, which I doubt

Most likely going wait to get this until it is on deep discount on steam

Hope that somebody can mod this to what it should be, but not sure if it is even mod freindly or if we'll have to wait for the code

Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2012, 01:17:16 pm »

very disappointing

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2012, 02:28:30 pm »

Welp, this sucks, glad I held out to preorder, seeing the demo I won't bother unless it turns out to be amazing at launch, which I doubt

Hope that somebody can mod this to what it should be, but not sure if it is even mod freindly or if we'll have to wait for the code

I find it sad that the only game were we arent let down is those coming from indie devs... we are always "shut up and take my money" while bigguer company we are disapointed always.... cant they learn more from indie devs? or i dont know....

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2012, 05:01:07 pm »

this community loves nitpicking games.

my guess is that because we're used to games where brain gets used, games where we can 'see through' the game mechanic becomes just like the boring part of a routine.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:30 pm »

I find it sad that the only game were we arent let down is those coming from indie devs... we are always "shut up and take my money" while bigguer company we are disapointed always.... cant they learn more from indie devs? or i dont know....
Eh, I see a lot of elite-ism from this group, half the OMGAMAZING indie games people just rave about here suck, in my opinion. Even DF has an unforgivable interface, but people here willingly ignore that or claim they like it all while whining about Big Budget Game X's interface at the same time. ^_^

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2012, 09:05:49 pm »

Eh, I see a lot of elite-ism from this group, half the OMGAMAZING indie games people just rave about here suck, in my opinion. Even DF has an unforgivable interface, but people here willingly ignore that or claim they like it all while whining about Big Budget Game X's interface at the same time. ^_^

It may have to do with money. DF is free while the big budget game costs 60$. Who would not expect perfection when the game is that costly. Also, the interface in DF while horrible has a reason to be horrible(due to the game's depth) whereas usually in AAA games the interface is fucked up just because they wanted it to look pretty

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2012, 10:07:33 pm »

It may have to do with money. DF is free while the big budget game costs 60$. Who would not expect perfection when the game is that costly. Also, the interface in DF while horrible has a reason to be horrible(due to the game's depth) whereas usually in AAA games the interface is fucked up just because they wanted it to look pretty
You are most likely correct about players's expectations.
But I do disagree about the DF having bad interface due to depth. Depth, complexity and good interface are not mutually exclusive.
ASCII and good interface are mutually exclusive, though. No matter what people claim, when comparing the infinite possibility of simple graphics vs the limited possibility of ASCII, ASCII loses. A lot of ASCII fanboi 's will disagree, sure, but when you actually consider the mental load involved, ASCII will (almost) always lose to pretty much any other choice. But fanboys ignore logic by default, so all the HCI and human factors research in the world will never convince them they are wrong:-)

And in the case of DF, although you can use tilesets, the tilesets are limited by the ASCII backbone negating many of the benefits.

EDIT:
Oh, and Skyrim's interface is inexcusably bad, for no good reason at all (considering skyui and other mods fixed it almost immediately, at essentially no cost) except porting benefits. yet people here forgive it and buy the game, the big budget AAA game I might add.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:10:31 pm by Goron »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2012, 11:24:29 am »

Bad UI itself does not break the game... its everything else that comes packaged with it that makes or breaks it.

If many people are still playing X game despite the bad UI... then it is at least passable enough for the players to ignore bad UI.   <-- DF, Aurora, Skyrim, etc.
If the gameplay sucks, good or bad UI, it'll not be played by most people.  <-- JA:BiA, Spore, etc.

And considering it, game reviews by B12ers are good enough for me to make my purchasing decisions by.  There is a lot of trash out  there and folks here do pretty well at filtering em for me.  That is if the game/genre is interesting enough for me to take a look at it in the first place.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10