Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action  (Read 24844 times)

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 11:32:06 am »

I've already pre-purchased it. I'll be sure to write up a review after a few hours of gameplay.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 11:39:00 am »

It's dealing with some pretty tough competition (in itself and v1.13) but to remove fog of war surely just turns it in to a puzzle game, not a tactics game?

I don't hold out much hope, but I'll certainly check out the reception and the reviews on release.

Remember the old game Commandos didn't have fog of war. I guess calling it a puzzle game would be accurate.

I am not very optimistic about it. I don't really understand why they would re-hash JA2 and then change something as big as fog of war.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 11:56:58 am »

commandos scenarios are pretty small.

one can spot people pretty far in real life., if line of sight is not obstructed.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 02:21:38 pm »

video game FoW has always been pretty retarded. I can see things pretty far and I'm nearsighted :P

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 03:13:03 pm »

You can't see through walls, though, even though you might remember what the terrain looked like on the other side.

Distance-based fog of war is kind of dumb, though.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 04:18:54 pm »

JA2 is scaled well out of whack between the buildings / character avatars and things like sight and firing range.

Each square in game is ten metres I think, in terms of range (25m high people?), which gives pistols a range of around 100 - 150 metres, assault rifles around the 300ish metre mark. I don't know if this is realistic (I just assume it is) but it does make the sight range thing feel a little bit better. I suppose it would just be 'effective sight range in an urban combat environment' rather than, say, test condition sight range on a clear day in Dubai.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 04:49:50 pm »

300 meters is the standard engagement distance for riflemen so it seems right in that sense.

then again, range and precision doesn't work in any way like what was shown in JA

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 06:23:36 pm »

I think they could have -easily- had fog of war as an option you enable or disable or based on difficulty setting, seeing how they already had it working but took it out after playtesters went herpy derpy doo.

Also, they took out IMP. Saaaadddfffaaaaaccceeee

Hopefully the game will be modable, and hopefully mods can add some of these things in...

Also, each square being 10 meters seems rather large. I haven't played in a while and forget what it looks like, but I was thinking it would be closer to 1-3 meters? (Not diagonally, straight across)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:25:09 pm by OzyTheSage »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 05:26:59 am »

Also, each square being 10 meters seems rather large. I haven't played in a while and forget what it looks like, but I was thinking it would be closer to 1-3 meters? (Not diagonally, straight across)

No, you are right in respect to the scale of the actual people and the buildings appearance, but the point was sight and weapon range is calibrated on the '10 meter' tile.

Just think about that guy walking round the corner of the building 14 tiles away, and you being unable to hit him with your .38 special.

Obviously it's just a game abstraction between the visual appearance and the gameplay, which works really well, especially if you don't think about it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 08:11:06 am »

Just pretend they're stormtroopers.

I'm real proud of you Jagged Alliance 2, and I'ma let you finish, but pauseable real-time is the best small-group tactics system of all time.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 05:54:56 pm »

Yeah... the engagement ranges were... ummm... hwah hwah hwah hwah hwah hwah hwah hwah

I remember playing a demo for one of the Theater of War games, and the engagement ranges in that game compared with Men of War and most other RTS games were impressive.

Good-ish news: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action's fog of war may be back in action.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 05:57:45 pm by OzyTheSage »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2012, 09:41:38 pm »

Dumb

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2012, 10:01:14 pm »

Gameplay will probably be more like brigade e5 and 7.62.
I hate to admit this, since I am a hardcore Jagged Alliance fan... with countless hours in the original, deadly games, 2, and 1.13... but... I think I need to admit that 7.62 High Calibre is a better gameplay system. As such, I can only hope that the above quoted post is true.
Real Time with Smart Pause does not equal RTS, for the record.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 11:34:13 pm »

I hate to admit this, since I am a hardcore Jagged Alliance fan... with countless hours in the original, deadly games, 2, and 1.13... but... I think I need to admit that 7.62 High Calibre is a better gameplay system. As such, I can only hope that the above quoted post is true.
Real Time with Smart Pause does not equal RTS, for the record.

I kinda wanna check out this 7.62mm game... I heard that brigade e5 was pretty crap or something, and 7.62mm had bugs up the wazoo or something, but I'm itching for this kind of game ever since I saw Silent Storm/X-Com/whatever. I've had the idea for this sort of game in my head for a long while, too, and when I heard about JA3 a while back I was rather excited.

I really hope that they make up for the lack of FoW and custom mercs in some other way...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10