Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action  (Read 24843 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 03:17:29 pm »

JA2 wasn't without problems, some of the caused by the turn based system. For example the way elites would interupt you no matter how tactically you approached them, or how they would interupt YOUR interupt! GAH. Or just time time it takes to move units one at a time.

I don't know. JA2 was a great game, but Fallout Tactics and X-Com 3 were great too. Just having a game with the business side of JA2 is enough for me.

Although I would really miss deformable terrian.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 06:16:43 pm »

One of the biggest problems I had with JA2 was that, by default, the suppression fire is broken completely =(

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 07:41:20 pm »

You mean like the time everyone was raging at the turn-based JA3 on the SS engine? Cause that didn't happen, so you're wrong.
Whoa! Did they actually release a gameplay video for that? Or anything besides talk? We're all for making JA better in principle, it's the details that piss people off.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:44:17 am »

I stopped caring about this since then. And looking at the gameplay video with 2 people unable to hit someone standing 3 meters in front of them for like 5 seconds of full auto fire, probably for the better.
dont see how this is any different from mediocre skilled mercs in JA2. Didnt get to auto-firing weapons in JA1.

LOL that video.

3d engine as excuse for not having turn-based combat :|
You choose what skills are increased on lvlup...

this is not Jagged Alliance at all. Sad to see another bad clone phishing for money.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:50:38 am by Lord Snow »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 01:46:42 am »

3d engine as excuse for not having turn-based combat :|

Silent Storm was a lie

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 02:44:08 am »

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-jagged-alliance-online-209761.phtml

This one is looking better, the free online version is purely turn based and a much more faithful adaptation to the series it seems.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 04:23:47 am »

Realtime with pause? Sounds a bit like X-Com: Apocalypse's realtime mode, which I prefered over the turn-based. The video seems like it might be okay, despite what the comments suggest.

Personally, I'm irritated at the comments that more or less say "It's not the same exact game as the old one, therfore it sucks!" They can just go play the old game.
You know what jagged alliance was known as?
Brilliant Turn based strategy.
Wow it sure does makes sense to fuck over the genre the game belonged to.

ncbousfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 09:30:58 am »

Gameplay will probably be more like brigade e5 and 7.62.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 11:04:11 am »

I would honestly say, i could probably deal with pausable real time. It worked okay for the UFO series as well as X-Com Apoc. I still would prefer to see well done turn based though. As for the rest of the game, it really does appear to be dumbed down. Sorry. I won't be checking out BiA. JAO though... maybe?

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 08:16:03 pm »

I would honestly say, i could probably deal with pausable real time. It worked okay for the UFO series as well as X-Com Apoc. I still would prefer to see well done turn based though. As for the rest of the game, it really does appear to be dumbed down. Sorry. I won't be checking out BiA. JAO though... maybe?

I still don't get how it "Worked"
It made the game considerably easier. The whole real time with a pause has only worked with frozen synapse.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 06:47:04 am »

bump!

game is nearing release, any updated opinion on the subject?

I miss the good old JA days! (and I'm thinking on getting back to the 1.13 HAM patchset  :P )

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 08:03:00 am »

I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that they removed fog of war.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 08:11:05 am »

I'm pretty sure many tomes of rants have been written about that fact on the net as a whole actually.

But yeah, i'll be interested to see if its any good when not viewed from a "omg its not exactly the same as JA2" point of view.
Magma is overrated.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 10:23:41 am »

Huh, no Fog of War? That sounds retarded.

If it can offer what Silent Storm has - ballistics, bullet penetration, completely destructible enviroment - and has all the good sides of X-Com Apocalypse flow of battle, then I'll sing hallelujah. I kind of doubt it though. Seems like a cheap ripoff that doesn't provide anything new. Old games should be upgraded, not just copied. (I know, they didn't copy it exactly with it being real-time and all, but still.)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 11:01:42 am »

It's dealing with some pretty tough competition (in itself and v1.13) but to remove fog of war surely just turns it in to a puzzle game, not a tactics game?

I don't hold out much hope, but I'll certainly check out the reception and the reviews on release.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10