Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action  (Read 24837 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Jagged Alliance: Back In Action
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:24:05 am »

Well, Jagged Alliance is back. However, from the look of the gameplay, it appears to be a game that is real time strategy with the ability to pause and give orders. AKA Not Jagged Alliance :(

What are your thoughts? It looks like a good game, and if it features a lot of the other features from Jagged Alliance, along with some improved and new features, it might make up for it.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:35:14 am »

Their reasoning for the changes was utterly stupid. "You can't flank in turn-based! It's impossible! Now you can because it's real-time!".

I stopped caring about this since then. And looking at the gameplay video with 2 people unable to hit someone standing 3 meters in front of them for like 5 seconds of full auto fire, probably for the better.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:36:50 am »

Realtime with pause? Sounds a bit like X-Com: Apocalypse's realtime mode, which I prefered over the turn-based. The video seems like it might be okay, despite what the comments suggest.

Personally, I'm irritated at the comments that more or less say "It's not the same exact game as the old one, therfore it sucks!" They can just go play the old game.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:42:22 am »

Looks like its going to be terribly bad for everyone else than 8 yo.
1:30 - muhaha. (i know its just a marketing gameplay but wtf?)
So far i didn't see inventory, but it looks like we will only have main weapon and support slot for nades. And what i liked in JA? Explosion! I don't want to go into that building front door, i want to go in through the wall! Please give me JA3, not kiddo-commando.
There is a place now for saying "game is not even out yet", but how many times said games will be even worse than worst predictions to cut if off?
I liked the smoke tho.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:02:18 am »

I wouldn't jump and attack the game so soon. Nor does the fact that this is realtime with pause mean that the game's tactical aspect is being dumbed down. It does close a few exploits such as having your entire squad shooting down a single corridor by taking turns for one. And it does keep aiming modes and firing modes and choice of RoF in there. Frankly, a game like the old Jagged Allience getting released today simply won't be good, compared to all that's come in between.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:09:43 am »

Really? As far as I'm concerned, JA2 is still the most tactical game I've ever played. Silent Storm (also turn-based) came close, but the AI was too dumb to pose a serious threat most of the time.

I think the best JA3 concept thus far was the one on the SS engine. Shame that got shafted.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:10:25 am »

Realtime with pause? Sounds a bit like X-Com: Apocalypse's realtime mode, which I prefered over the turn-based. The video seems like it might be okay, despite what the comments suggest.

Personally, I'm irritated at the comments that more or less say "It's not the same exact game as the old one, therfore it sucks!" They can just go play the old game.

well I can understand them. JA2 is one of the best TBS of all times. We already have an unlimited supply of RTS games, so when a new JA was announced it is only natural that people rage when it is turned into an RTS.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:12:50 am »

There would've been rage no matter what kind of game it was. 
Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 09:24:30 am »

There would've been rage no matter what kind of game it was.
You mean like the time everyone was raging at the turn-based JA3 on the SS engine? Cause that didn't happen, so you're wrong.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:16:53 am »

Or the people raging over Xenonauts (the Xcom remake)?
Because I looked, I did, but all I could find was heaped praise.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:42:09 am »

On the one hand, I agree with that decision. On the other hand, it would've been cool to see another modern TBS in the vein of Frozen Synapse.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 11:49:32 am »

Or the people raging over Xenonauts (the Xcom remake)?
Because I looked, I did, but all I could find was heaped praise.

I have also noticed this, even though in all honesty, I don't see the successor to xcom emerging from here. More 'pretty nifty' rather than 'the one true game above all others'. Hopefully it does really well though, and we start seeing some more TBS emerge as a result.

And yeah, we can still go play JA2, it's still bloody brilliant, especially so with the 1.13 stuff and assorted mods.

e: Gah. I hope those face models are placeholders - they are an abomination compared to the JA2 artwork (which wasn't the best I've ever seen, but had a certain charm). Game could be pretty neat though, I'll wait and watch it develop.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:52:08 am by mendonca »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 12:24:32 pm »

e: Gah. I hope those face models are placeholders - they are an abomination compared to the JA2 artwork (which wasn't the best I've ever seen, but had a certain charm). Game could be pretty neat though, I'll wait and watch it develop.
You didn't notice that they were all copy+pasta'd from JA2, and every single character had Ivan's brother's (forgot his name) picture?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 12:37:07 pm »

The major problem this game will face is that Jagged Alliance 2 + 1.13 patch/mod raised the bar so high for this genre of tactical games (i regularly play it, and it does not show its age at all, it's always one of the finest game of its genre today), that it will have a very hard time to live up to JA2+1.13 greatness.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 12:57:06 pm »

You didn't notice that they were all copy+pasta'd from JA2, and every single character had Ivan's brother's (forgot his name) picture?
Igor? No, I must admit I didn't notice that - I was watching a bit of the youtube clip on the right hand side of the page and they have some 3d-models depicting the characters at a few minutes in. You can tell the difference between them because Shadow has camo cream on his face, and Raven has a big platinum blonde wig.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10