Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Clan of the Cave Spider - Community Cavern Fortress  (Read 9604 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Clan of the Cave Spider - Community Cavern Fortress
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2011, 05:20:09 am »

thanks for the raws man.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2011, 10:00:30 am »

Just wanted to post a quick update and let people know I haven't abandoned the fortress or anything. Just been extremely busy with work lately and haven't had the time to really sit down and play. I should get a few days free soon though, so I'll do an actual update then.

Greymane, could you post the raws of the jumping spiders?

Sure, though they really aren't anything special. I just took a giant cave spider, shrunk it down to cat-size and made it hunt vermin, took out it's thick webs, changed it's colors, and gave it a far weaker poison. It's a bit of a hack job, really, but it amused me to have them around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You should have kept its webs so you could have lots of cloth on hand, OR to ensnare wild and/or enemy creatures and kept the poison strength so it could kill any creature that its webs ensnared.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2011, 10:12:37 am »

Thanks a lot for the raws!

You should have kept its webs so you could have lots of cloth on hand, OR to ensnare wild and/or enemy creatures and kept the poison strength so it could kill any creature that its webs ensnared.

I think the point was to make a domestic animal, not a war machine. If you keet the poison and the webs of the GCS, you could just train the jumping spiders and put them in the military, since they're easy to breed you'd have a ton of them and it would be near impossible for invaders to get through them without getting killed by the poison. It'd be too easy.

Also, if they kept their webs, would they use them to hunt vermin?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2011, 10:23:07 am »

wild ones make jumping cave spider webs in the caverns. ive even seen a few wild ones roaming about.

Some tame crundles and a wild jumping cave spider clutch should make a small and decent silk farm if you like.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2011, 10:31:41 am »

Thanks a lot for the raws!

I think the point was to make a domestic animal, not a war machine. If you keet the poison and the webs of the GCS, you could just train the jumping spiders and put them in the military, since they're easy to breed you'd have a ton of them and it would be near impossible for invaders to get through them without getting killed by the poison. It'd be too easy.

Also, if they kept their webs, would they use them to hunt vermin?
Good point about the invader thing...

About the webs (marked now in bold), no they wouldn't, but they'd help in both the hunting (meat) industry AND the cloth industry, wouldn't they?

wild ones make jumping cave spider webs in the caverns. ive even seen a few wild ones roaming about.

Some tame crundles and a wild jumping cave spider clutch should make a small and decent silk farm if you like.
The cloth idea sounds interesting.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2011, 12:08:14 pm »

Speaking of your story and inspirations derived from it, I made an addition to the plants in my EVIL mod's files: hair moss! Long, dense moss that can be cultivated and sewn into clothing, some of it still living on the wearer's person even when the clothes themselves have fallen to tatters, meaning dwarves do not care that they have no 'clothes' anymore because of the moss living on them. Like Shaman.
It grows in a range from yellowish green to nearly blue, in many shades, even on different regions of the same plant's base. It's most common among dwarven peasants, making dark cyan the color associated with peasantry in dwarven culture, because darker shades, and a bluer hue, are generally observed on less healthy moss, and peasants tend to cultivate sickly mosses. The hair moss on the body can be permanently removed through a short period (3-7 days, ignoring the week or two it takes for their blood alcohol content to drop to zero...) of sobriety followed by a soapy bath. Very undwarven.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]