Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Clan of the Cave Spider - Community Cavern Fortress  (Read 9613 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Clan of the Cave Spider - Community Cavern Fortress
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2011, 10:15:22 pm »

That's just... sad. I really feel sorry for you, having put all that work into the fort and the story just to lose it to a screw-up.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2011, 10:47:59 pm »

Woah, that's pretty sad.

Write the colony having to relocate for whatever reason?
That's probably the easiest solution. Something like a flood in the caverns forced the dwarves to pack their stuff and settle somewhere else. Part of the group arrived at the new location first and the rest will manage to get there in a couple of months (migrants wave). Something like that I guess.

It's a shame for all the work that is lost though.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2011, 12:35:48 am »

You've done so much work on this that it would be a shame to let it end this way.  I agree with the suggestion of building a story of having to get out and find a new place.  You might suggest that the elder members of the group are used to this occurence and were waiting for it to happen again.  The loss of the yeti's is more disappointing, that sounded like a really good story direction.
If you restart, can you reboot Kiratha as he was but add novice animal trainer to his skills, with less carpentry, thanx.

Darkening Kaos, CIS.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2011, 12:42:17 am »

Hmmm. The migration idea would work, I suppose. Although we'll get completely different migrants, so that'll change the story significantly.

You could also do an actual reboot. Just have one of the original 7 wake up from a horrible dream or something. It's cheesy, but it's pretty appropriate for what we have here.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2011, 12:52:37 am »

That would work, too.  Although there is that foreknowledge thing to worry about.  Greymane has done a lot of exploration and knows, up to a point, what to expect.  The first migrants would also be different as well, so that whole plot line is a bust.
I can foresee a lot of 'de ja vu' experiences coming up, though.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2011, 01:18:23 am »

Erk... I read all of this since my last post tonight (got lost in the waves of firefox not remembering my history whenever I restart my machine.)
I have to say, this is a sad ending to a wonderful story, and I can't come up with a suggestion that would make it seem like less of a horrible neck-wringing of the plot line to get it back on it's feet. Go on though, after the chaos arrives the calm. With your skill thus far I'd expect you'll be able to make any failure a grand success in a short length of time.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:21:02 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2011, 01:54:46 am »

Clearly Mekboy was the waste lock of the fort, and killing her destroyed reality.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2011, 02:45:30 am »

In fire and in glory.

That was how Queen Zefon Itongigin had told us it would end. That the end of our days would be in the place the Cave Spider God chose, somewhere deep below the earth. So, we wandered, living and dying under the open sky until we saw the mark of Shedim and discovered the cave of Zospu Smaxa. There, we fought and worked and struggled to survive. We faced armies of monsters. We faced famine and deprivation. We even faced madness from within.

Yet nothing could truly prepare us for what we would face in the lower depth of that cavern. For there, in a place that had never known the sun, we faced a god.

The mad cave prophet known as Shaman gave us our first warning, brought from the lips of a dead woman. He warned us that we had been deceived and that the death of all our spiders within the caverns had been to keep them from warning us of the truth. The great apes of the mountain, servants of the gods of men, had tried to stop us as well. They'd come in their legions, yet were thrown into cages or butchered for meat. Even the elves tried to warn us away, denying us the try we so desperately needed and threatening war should we not leave.

We did not listen. We sealed ourselves away. As we grew and prospered within Zospu Smaxa, our curiosity and our greed became so great that we dug deeper into the earth. Every blow of the pick brought another distant rumble. Every layer of stone we passed through only carried us closer to her. She had waited for us for a thousand years, locked away within her earthly tomb. Waiting to find her revenge upon the descendants of her sire.

Momuz, the Goddess of Suicide.

As we reached the second caverns, she and her bride-grooms rose up in vast numbers and swarmed through the tunnels. Our soldiers fought for every inch of ground, yet the numbers of the dark goddesses husbands seemed without limit and wherever Momuz herself tread, dwarves threw themselves upon their weapons in horror. The yeti were unleashed to aid us, the spiders of the cavern came in unaccountable swarms to slow the Nightbride down. Nothing seemed able to stop her. All hope seemed lost and those who remained had been pushed out of the caverns and into the caves above.

... and it was at that moment that the drunkard Novod put upon his head the helm of fear known as Kebonluror, a thing of both foulness and hope sent to him by Shedim to both warn us away and give us one last weapon to face Momuz, and with nothing but a pick of stone, went alone to face Momuz. As what remained of the soldiers harrowed her grooms, Novod engaged the fel goddess in single combat, struck her down. Though he died to her poisonous vapors soon after, the grooms of the Nightbride fell back to the tunnels at the death of their wife.

We knew then that Zospu Smaxa had from the first been a trap. The noose with which Momuz sought to hang us. Those of us who remained gathered all that we could and tore down the walls that had sealed us in, repairing the ancient wagon that had first brought us here and setting out, over the mountains known as Beak of Daubbing and beyond the known world until we found another.

The humans call this place Ernir, "The Infinite Land." Here we hope, far away from the lands of our birth and Momuz, I hope still we may find the sign from Shedim promised to us, though almost none who remain still believe. The young born in Zopsu Smaxa's final days or those times of wandering that came soon after have made their own gods. The Jeweled Lady Tobul Colorpale, Kerlig the Fortress-King, Ust of the Sky; so many others. The sons and daughters of those I knew, sharing their names and so often their faces, we their elders are so few in number and tired in our bones.

As we stop here at this village of humans to trade for supplies and learn about the lands around us, I feel that I can go no further. Translated from their own tongue, the place is called Eversilk. It seems a fortuitous sign. Though some do not care to be among the long-legs, they've always treated us more fairly than the other races. This seems a fine place to rest.

Seven will go on to scout a cave south of here with the aid of a human guide. The rest of shall remain here and wait word of what they find.

I do not suspect that I will be alive when they send word, but I feel in my bones that this is the place we have been waiting for. The stone here is white, like the silk of a web. We have walked the tricky strands of Shedim's web to the center and the Cave Spider God has at last began to bind his strands about us. All that now remains will be to see if he choses to keep us safe... or bleed us dry.

Final journal entry of Urist Edemnokzam
Last Priestess of Shedim

---
A new land to settle!

Neither ancient nation of Losiszas nor Kubuk Ikud exist anymore, as those dwarves who remain now know themselves as Lokum Zes, "The Spears of Branding," for they shall mark their names upon this world with the point of a spear if need be.

So, it has been an unofficial 50 years and this new batch of dwarves are either the named-in-honor children of the previous group or the few remaining elders. You can decide for yourself which you'd prefer.

Let me know if I've missed anyone to re-dorf or there are any desired profession changes.

The Clan of the Cave Spider
Kiratha Jr: Mechanic/Carpenter/Animal Trainer
Zero: Architect
Sognard, Son of Eric and Bob: Miner/Engineer/Mason
Karakzon Jr: Military, Marksdwarf
Mekboy: Organiser/Record Keeper/Broker
Bob: Fisher/Farmer
melkor: Manager/Bookkeeper
Nonobots: Bower/Bonecarver/Leatherworker
Cheveux: Bonecarver/Stonecrafter/Woodcrafter
Elfeater: Military
Firelordsky: Military, Crossbow
Dzharius: Military, Spear
Xil, Daughter of Lofn: Doctor, Butcher, Tanner
Rain: Fisher/Woodcutter
Novod: Miner
Remalle: Craftsdwarf
Shaman: Bonecarver/Animal Trainer
Urist McHuman: Milita Crossbow/Bonecarver/Woodcrafter/Stonecrafter

Embark Dwarves
Here is the initial line up. If you see a dwarf you like in these first seven, claim 'em. First come first serve and all that.

Dwarf #1 - Claimed: Sogard, Son of Eric and Bob
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf #2 - Claimed: Karakzon
Dwarf #3
Dwarf #4
Dwarf #5 - Claimed: Kiratha
Dwarf #6 - Claimed: Xil Lofndatter
Dwarf #7 - Claimed: Cheveux

The Gods of Lokum Zes
The New Gods of the new dwarven nation. Uker is possibly the most badass beetle ever.

Tobul Dakasabal, "Tobul Colorpale": Dwarven Goddess of Jewels and Minerals
Kerlig: Dwarven God of Metals and Fortresses
Urdim Uzolzes Asen Nelas, "Urdim Oilybranded the Gravel of Flickering": Fire Imp God of Volcanos and Mountains
Ngathsesh Ostarlashid, "Ngathsesh Buriedspittle": Dwarven God of Deformity, Disease, and Wealth
Icum Kirar Aval, "Icum the Rights of Love": Dwarven Goddess of Generosity
Lal Zuden Ushesh," Lal the Keeper of Imprisoning": Dwarven Goddess of Laws and Order
Ust: Bummble Queen Godess of the Sky and the Wind
Atir Legondakas, "Atir Wandercolored": Dwarven God of Revelry and Rainbows
Zukthist: Dwarven God of Lies
Uker: Beetle Goddess of Storms, Thunder, Lightning, Rain, Plants, Animals, and Rulership

The Old Gods
Shedim: Cave Spider God of Jewels, Minerals, Metals, Mountains, and Caverns
Momuz - False and Fallen Dwarven Goddess of Suicide
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:40:25 pm by Greymane »

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2011, 03:07:49 am »

I'll take Iden Sodelunal (Dwarf #7), same personality as the previous one, anything to do with making weapons will make him happy.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2011, 03:31:21 am »

I don't have access to a computer at present, so seeing any s-caps on my phone is hopeless.
Try to match up Kirathasson as close as possible to his father, and as you've noted, he was just starting to learn to tame animals.
Thanx,
Darkening Kaos, CIS.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2011, 04:39:50 am »

Ill take Dwarf 2
Son of Karakzon who died in the caves wile fighting off the night husbands. Named in his stead. not as grumpy and cant remember much of his farther. Not xenophobic since he dosent know better yet.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2011, 10:44:33 am »

Three down, four to go. Just about out of the ever-popular male dwarf model though.

Also thanks to the mild glitch of assigning us steel pickaxes (almost makes me wish the metal industry was still in place, then we could have gotten a steal anvil too), we actually have about 800 extra points (2048 compared to the 1274 that is standard). So, if there is anything special you'd like us to start with, just say the word. Far as equipment goes, we're likely better off bringing raw materials to make stuff, since everything nothing you get from embark has quality modifiers and since we don't use metal, those are fairly important. Still, anything goes.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2011, 11:01:02 am »

I'd like to claim Dwarf #6 as Xil, the daughter and one-time protege of Lofn. Doctor, butcher and tanner, if the roles are free. She's a servicable medic but has no tolerance for whinging and doesn't really care a hell of a lot about patients suffering under her experimental techniques.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:02:37 am by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2011, 11:06:57 am »

I'd like to claim Dwarf #6 as Xil, the daughter and one-time protege of Lofn. Doctor, butcher and tanner, if the roles are free. She's a servicable medic but has no tolerance for whinging and doesn't really care a hell of a lot about patients suffering under her experimental techniques.

Dorfed.

Also, I must mention how hilarious I find it that both Lofn and his kid are doctors who also specialize in meat production.

"Don't worry. If I can't get this leg wound taken care of to save you, at least no one will go hungry tonight."
"Because I killed the giant olm?"
"No."

Bedside manner? Not a phrase known in dwarven.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2011, 11:18:14 am »

I claim dorf number one. Sogard, one of Eric and Bob's children. He's perfectly sane and at least has some musical ability. He plays the banjo. Prefers to drop large objects on creature's heads rather than fight with them, and loves working as an engineer and mason as much as a miner. Often suspicious of the decisions of authority for belief that they are working purely to set themselves up for future success at his expense and refuses to put himself or his friends in danger for the "good of the community". He's still waiting for some of his other siblings to arrive so they can form their clan with their spouses.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:24:13 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8