Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assist in learning please  (Read 820 times)

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Assist in learning please
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:17:50 am »

So having played all of 3 games so far, I've decided two things.
First, this game is incredibly !!FUN!!.
Second, it's hard as all hell to start.
Other than potentially save-scumming a fort over and over and over again to learn, what's a good way to (slowly) advance my knowledge and ability to play this game?
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

Jimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assist in learning please
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:23:58 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Quickstart_guide

I stuck rigidly to this guide till i felt comfortable enough to try things my own way, Taught me up pretty quickly!

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:46:22 am »

Quick scan through shows me most of the mistakes I've been making. I don't focus on individual efforts at the start well enough, and everyone ends up tied up doing something else. This should help streamline the start and make me less dead come the start of the second year.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:47:46 am »

Not long from now you'll find that the Start is the best part :)
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 01:57:20 am »

First thing you need to do: Build walls.

Nothing can get through walls. And if you have a bridge as the entrance, you are invincible. It's not sporting, but it will let you learn how to fight and such.

Jimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:18:41 am »

Quick scan through shows me most of the mistakes I've been making. I don't focus on individual efforts at the start well enough, and everyone ends up tied up doing something else. This should help streamline the start and make me less dead come the start of the second year.

Take away all the hauling labours for your miner/s so you can dig a fortress out pretty quickly and plop a door or two at your entrance for super quick basic security, If you make as many stone crafts as possible before the first caravan comes and sell them all to the trader your first wave of real migrants should be pretty big. More dwarfs will let you get industry up and running and a militia ready for ambush/scary wildlife suppresion! Good luck  :)

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:40 am »

Take away all the hauling labours for your miner/s so you can dig a fortress out pretty quickly and plop a door or two at your entrance for super quick basic security, If you make as many stone crafts as possible before the first caravan comes and sell them all to the trader your first wave of real migrants should be pretty big. More dwarfs will let you get industry up and running and a militia ready for ambush/scary wildlife suppresion! Good luck  :)

I use dwarf therapist so the miner(s) are never hauling, and stone crafts are generally on the menu but I still forget basic things constantly, though that'll shore up in time. I'm terrible at military, any hostile creatures are a major threat to me still. My militias tend to get torn apart in seconds.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 05:33:44 am »

Miners make a good militia in a hurry, otherwise don't be ashamed to raise the drawbridge and keep training if you don't feel your militia is up to the task.  Look for talented or above skill level in all combat skills.  Usually after a few migrant waves you should have 5-6 random migrants with some military skills, get them a year or two, make certain they are sparring (if they aren't look around the forums). If goblins come check the weapons: avoid archers, crossbows and lashers at all cost, at least until you have some legendaries. Never fight on their terms--get them into a trapped hallway, get them into your war dogs and then attack. Always use move orders rather than attack orders, unless mopping up. Before giving a move order into battle, give one into a safe area outside of battle line-of-sight so the squad has time to finish drinking and sleeping and actually gets there together.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 05:48:41 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Quickstart_guide

I stuck rigidly to this guide till i felt comfortable enough to try things my own way, Taught me up pretty quickly!

Cannot recommend this enough also. The wiki is a lifesaver.

If you have a decent herbalist/planter early on they can single handedly keep a fledgling fort fed for the first few years.

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:24:06 am »

Trail and error, mostly error, but that's fine.