Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1597870 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #13365 on: June 11, 2018, 08:59:56 pm »

*grumbling about elsweyr*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13366 on: June 11, 2018, 09:39:47 pm »

So that Six, am I right? Looks like a neat new landscape.
That's 'bout all it looks like.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13367 on: June 11, 2018, 09:41:59 pm »

I actually found it fairly informative.

It's a single ruined castle on a hill, surrounded by...NOTHING. Assuming no trickery or major changes, that seems, to me, to imply a larger world than Skyrim, assuming similar numbers of settlements/NPCs/quests/whatever that need buildings. In Skyrim you can't find views like that because there's ALWAYS something there that's not just the landscape.

OK so maybe it was only slightly informative and very good for fueling speculation for the next seven years of nothing.
Good play, Bethesda. Good play.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13368 on: June 12, 2018, 12:18:08 pm »

Maybe Todd wants us to walk even farther to get from questgivers to quest objectives!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13369 on: July 10, 2018, 01:16:49 pm »

They're going to add autorun. It's the logical next step down from GPS waypoints and fast travel.

Somewhat more topically, I got sick of instability and looking pretty but running like ass, so I did a fresh reinstall, ditched my ENB setup, got rid of a few dozen other mods, and abandoned any pretension of doing an original character build. Back to basics with a Bosmer stealth archer plus a little of those big knife ears, T&A, and physics-enabled high-res hair. feelsgoodman

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13370 on: July 10, 2018, 04:17:18 pm »

They're going to add autorun. It's the logical next step down from GPS waypoints and fast travel.

autorun was bound to Q in oblivion

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13371 on: July 10, 2018, 04:22:44 pm »

I was assuming that was a joke, since yeah it's definitely a thing in Oblivion.  And also Skyrim I'm mostly sure?

What I *really* want is Daggerfall tier """fast travel""" which has actual consequences for "teleporting" across the land.  Yeah Oblivion does an impressive job of passing time, even taking your athletics into consideration.  But that's purely a good thing, as it depletes various timers like the Archmage's magic chest.

I REALLY want fast travel that has a random encounter chance.

I assume that there are options for that, especially for Skyrim.  I eventually went with Frostfall and that one travel-between-settlements mod which put carriages everywhere, but they cost a nominal fee.  But It'd be great to be occasionally accosted instead.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13372 on: July 10, 2018, 04:37:28 pm »

I was assuming that was a joke, since yeah it's definitely a thing in Oblivion.  And also Skyrim I'm mostly sure?
There is on Skyrim too, but I forget the key on PC.

I REALLY want fast travel that has a random encounter chance.

I assume that there are options for that, especially for Skyrim.  I eventually went with Frostfall and that one travel-between-settlements mod which put carriages everywhere, but they cost a nominal fee.  But It'd be great to be occasionally accosted instead.
*Fast travels*
"Your travel has been interrupted."
*Loading screen followed by three cliff racers*

Let's just say that I have a deep dislike of fast travel random encounters because of the way many games handle it. Oh, moving between locations? Have fun going through twice the loading screens because these bandits that die in one hit each want to attack you. Every. Single. Time.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13373 on: July 10, 2018, 04:48:20 pm »

Point taken, though load times aren't nearly what they were.
But sure, it should be optional, which I supposed it already is through mods.

That's what I want though:  Some tedium or consequence for travel, focusing on the "interesting" parts.  Just like playing DND. 
Early OoTS

Vanilla fast travel feels so cheap that I often walk instead, even in Oblivion where there's no penalty at all.
As opposed to Skyrim where I have to rely on hold wagons.
"Different strokes"
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13374 on: July 10, 2018, 05:01:26 pm »

Y'know what I liked? Red Dead Redemption.

You could wrassle yourself a horse and just ride the damn distance, or you could hop on a carriage which would actually drive along the roads and take you there, instead of just turning into a loading screen as soon as you hop onboard.

There were buttons to "go faster" (which works about as well as it does in the later GTA titles... Namely, you don't really move that much faster, but the pathfinding AI becomes a lot more entertaining to watch) or just sleep it out and go straight to the loading screen approach... But you fully had the option to take the scenic route while letting someone else drive. Random encounters would also still spawn occasionally, so you'd be able to see people out hootin' and hollerin' in the fields as you rode past, or get a few bullets slung your way by some ill-to-do ruffians. And you could stick your gun out the window and answer them with some peas of your own.

In theory you could also hop onboard the iron horse and cross large distances very quickly, but ha-frickin'-ha... There's one engine on a one-line track, so it's never where you need it to be, and also the fat fuck doesn't stop for anything.

This is actually slightly comical, because several players reported difficulty in getting the achievement for wiping out all the remaining American buffalo, because the train beat them to it.  *Splat*.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13375 on: July 10, 2018, 05:04:10 pm »

Ya' know whasn't ported to PC due to $BS$?

That does sound entertaining, though, especially the sped-up pathfinding heh.
She/they

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13376 on: July 10, 2018, 05:16:59 pm »

Ya' know whasn't ported to PC due to $BS$?

That does sound entertaining, though, especially the sped-up pathfinding heh.

It really is some BS, RDD is a fabulous game and I'd snap it up if it got ported in an at least half-functional form to PC.

One thing is out-drawing and shooting the hat off some bloodthirsty varmint, another is hip-firing a Sharpe rifle... But have you ever thrown a heat-seeking stick of dynamite at a crow? I bet you haven't.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13377 on: July 10, 2018, 06:16:02 pm »

Joke's on you, I threw a heat-seeking crow at a stick of dynamite.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13378 on: July 10, 2018, 10:01:35 pm »

I'd like to point this out, They DID intend for you to be able to take the scenic route in Skyrim, finished all the code and the voice lines as well, just decided at the last minute not to for some reason

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13379 on: July 10, 2018, 10:53:08 pm »

I'd like to point this out, They DID intend for you to be able to take the scenic route in Skyrim, finished all the code and the voice lines as well, just decided at the last minute not to for some reason
You can get mods to put it back in and it'll become readily apparent why they removed it.

Enemies spawning in and you can't do anything to fight back, the cart bugging out as usual, broken pathfinding, etc. Etc.
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 896