Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1599013 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11700 on: December 19, 2014, 04:03:41 am »

Well, nexus is a good site for downloading mods. I got perma banned though cause I gave CONSTRUCTIVE feedback (even said good things about it) and the modder reported me, who is good friends with a mod on the site and got banned lol.
The Civil War Overhaul mod, while decent overall, is a huge performance sink for not much gain. I have a fairly beefy gaming rig, and that's one of the few mods I've tried that has had it choking on Skyrim more than a little bit. His descriptions could be cleaned up a bit more, too... they're too full of LoLI'mSoRandumb crap, with distracting, unrelated pictures and YouTube videos.

The guy has talent, but the potential for modders to become godmodders is way too prevalent in way too many games (see: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Minecraft [Heh, GregTech, I knew thee well]... the list goes on), especially when they have friends in the admins. They're a fickle sort.

On the other hand, I can see it getting very frustrating having to work inside someone else's (often limited) framework of a game. Some things you can't do gracefully, and have to use script extenders, or dirty, hacky methods to get things to work the way they should. Then you have to answer the same questions, over and over, that could easily be found via Google searching, or as mentioned above, have to try and troubleshoot some unintended interaction that may well be the fault of another modder's sloppy coding.

It's not something everyone can, or should, attempt to take up. Personality factors a lot into that.

Yeah, I mean...I can understand it. Working on a mod in your free time, and 99% of people are just complaining about things that don't have anything to do with the mod, but are due to load order/mod list or any number of other things. Personally, if it is playable for the modder than it should be for others (unless their PC can't handle it/too many mods)

I use his epic overhaul and I like it a lot. For me it does make a huge difference. It turns skyrim into a static shitty civil war, into an actual civil war where both sides actually do stuff. Nothing annoys me more in games, when the player is the one who forces things to happen. I prefer better dynamic gaming than that...that is just my preference though. Plus the other mods are a nice bonus...its cool seeing fire spread like in farcry 2. And in my mod list (I have nearly 200 mods, quite a few script intensive stuff from ***lab (hey don't look at me like that :P) and my game plays great. I did have to get rid of wet and cold+frostfall, but I personally found them kinda annoying and both of those are SUPER intensive with scripts.

In any case. I think I lucked out on my current mods, because I don't get any CTDs at all...good FPS and great (and sometimes kinky :P hey now :P) gameplay. I hit the jackpot :P It took ages to get a crash free mod setup lol. Took so many hours (hundreds, literally ROFL) to get something that 100% works.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:10:52 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: December 19, 2014, 04:15:38 am »

I liked Frostfall to start, as it added a bit of depth and immersion, but I usually ended up turning it off or removing it completely... something that affects me should affect the half naked bandit running around in a blizzard in piecemeal iron armor, and as I mentioned that would likely be difficult to code for. I'll go full on Master or Legendary level from the difficulty settings, or put in something that tweaks Adept to equivalent values (If I remember correctly, SkyRe basically turns early game into rocket tag, as all damage is increased for both you and your enemies), but dying or debuffing to hypothermia is bullshit.

And I usually end up playing a sneaky rogue or sneaky mage vampire at some point, completely negating the mod in its entirety, making me wonder why I turned it on in the first place. Probably for the backpacks.

Most of the "realism" mods end up being that to me, at least. There's only so much realism I want in a video game, before it just becomes a chore, and no longer fun.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11702 on: December 19, 2014, 04:27:07 am »

I liked Frostfall to start, as it added a bit of depth and immersion, but I usually ended up turning it off or removing it completely... something that affects me should affect the half naked bandit running around in a blizzard in piecemeal iron armor, and as I mentioned that would likely be difficult to code for. I'll go full on Master or Legendary level from the difficulty settings, or put in something that tweaks Adept to equivalent values (If I remember correctly, SkyRe basically turns early game into rocket tag, as all damage is increased for both you and your enemies), but dying or debuffing to hypothermia is bullshit.

And I usually end up playing a sneaky rogue or sneaky mage vampire at some point, completely negating the mod in its entirety, making me wonder why I turned it on in the first place. Probably for the backpacks.

Most of the "realism" mods end up being that to me, at least. There's only so much realism I want in a video game, before it just becomes a chore, and no longer fun.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience. Then I purposely turned to a vampire to negate the effects and went "Why don't I just remove this..."

I do like realism mods. But, some of it is more tedious than fun. If the game is based on realism/survival (like don't starve, or more hardcore, unreal world)...that is different. But, it doesn't entirely fully work in a game not made for it.

I do like iNeeds though a lot. Not script heavy like realistic needs...does same thing, but better imo. Not so intrusive and in your face...nice and simple. Gets the job done. Plus, it actually makes food/drink actually worth having...instead of just letting it sit there lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: December 24, 2014, 02:29:05 am »

Well, my 6th overhaul is uploaded. It is adult oriented, so I can't post a public link here. But, with that said...most of the "adult" stuff can be turned off (not all of it) so it becomes mostly optional. If you turn most of it off, you'd actually have to purposely choose to see the adult stuff. Though some "adult" npcs are around, like slaves and what not...cause nordic/vikings/medieval people always kept slaves anyway. So more realistic (though makes it adult since that isn't a child friendly thing to see in the politically correct world). Definitely not a kid friendly overhaul.

A 62 hour played character, with only a 14.8 mb save (that is REALLY small for a huge over 200 mods, many with heavy scripts, and a long time played character)...no real issues. However, most of the time...I have to load an old save I keep as a backup, and THEN load the most recent save. Though I just started up and game didn't automatically close on loading the recent save (no error message, just closes). But, other than that small thing...no save breaking or game breaking issues.

And I just got done with a huge description of the mod on Loverslab, and I'm about to go to bed. So if you want a link to the mod+a link to the mod page, feel free to send a PM.

I will say, it isn't really focused on adult stuff (its there, and I mostly put it there cause why not. Heck, I honestly leave most of it off, since I prefer playing). There is a TON of gameplay, and a ton of new stuff. All the "adult" stuff isn't really a big focus at all.

If you send me a PM, I may not get to it that soon. It is christmas eve tomorrow and then christmas...so gonna be spending most of my time with family. But, you may be able to find it anyway over on loverslab if you want to go there. Or I can just send you the links through private message.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11704 on: December 24, 2014, 09:44:23 am »

I liked Frostfall to start, as it added a bit of depth and immersion, but I usually ended up turning it off or removing it completely... something that affects me should affect the half naked bandit running around in a blizzard in piecemeal iron armor, and as I mentioned that would likely be difficult to code for.
So, I set up Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases and Requiem alongside Hunterborn - you know, to play a relaxing casual game of Skyrim. ;)

Basically, though, I found that a good portion of these were just things I ended up turning down or reversing the default positions. I like fast travel (heresy!) so I had to enable that in requiem (but I left in the woodcutter's axe requirement from Frostfall) and I found the notion of a wolf gnawing my steel crossbow apart in one hit (which seems like it happened every damn time) to be absurd, so that got shut off. The whole list of changes I had to make across all four mods was pretty extensive, but Frostfall tweaks were mostly just turning down the exposure rate a little, as it got to feeling like every outfit was like dressing in silk when you couldn't simply sprint everywhere (Requiem) to minimize your time in the wild and had to stop to hunt (Hunterborn/Realistic Needs&Diseases) to eat.

I still really *like* the feeling of preparing for a trip into the wilderness (pack tent/cloak/wood for warmth, etc) but I just didn't like how quickly I started to freeze, get hungry, get badly wounded and so forth. Turning them all down a bit made the game feel a little less 'demiurge loves you most of all, bestie' and a lot more 'semi-realism game fun'. YMMV, of course.

I kept at least some of the limits and restrictions from all of them, but I couldn't stand the default level of impact - the combination was simply too punitive for enjoyment.

This. I didn't turn them off, though - I just configured them much differently from default. I suspect that I'm not alone in liking the 'immersion' feel, but not liking the 'LOLIMSOHARDCORE' shift in difficulty. YMMV, of course.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: December 26, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »

I finally gave up on Requiem since it got to the point where I didn't want to play anymore. Too "old school RPG-hard" while I prefer "realism-hard", really not my thing.

Back to SSS+Duel for me...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11706 on: December 26, 2014, 06:05:41 pm »

I like some of the ideas in the mod, hard counters for enemies is something I with games had more of. That is, a troll can only be killed with fire, you need to dispel magic on a mage to hurt them etc etc.

I did need to spend around the first 10 levels in Requiem doing small time stuff to level up to the point where I was able to wear armour and deal reasonable damage with a sword. I kind of think Skyrim's method of "levelling by doing" works against the mod design a bit where it would work better with an experience point system.
Levelling heavy armour was difficult because I needed to go out and get hit, and since getting hit is not something you want to happen too often... Trainers were useful in that regard, but making money meant lots of very slow trips back and forth between a cave and town.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: December 26, 2014, 07:21:18 pm »

I like some of the ideas in the mod, hard counters for enemies is something I with games had more of. That is, a troll can only be killed with fire, you need to dispel magic on a mage to hurt them etc etc.
Arena (first elder scrolls in case anyone wonders) actually had trolls that only died to fire. The last time I tried to play it, they were a pain. If, for some reason, you weren't packing a torch or other fire source, you had to deal with trolls repeatedly coming from behind. I'm glad this is mostly not done anymore.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11708 on: December 27, 2014, 02:04:34 am »

I draw the idea mostly from how it was done in "Baldur's Gate II". In that trolls could be incapacitated through normal damage but they could only be killed by either fire, acid or a sufficiently powerful attack so they gibbed.

As long as the methods are easily available it shouldn't be a big problem. Using a torch, a fire dagger kept for that purpose, a simple fire spell or even dropping a fireball at your feet when there's a lot of them. It's not so much to make the enemy harder but to require a bit more tactical thinking, like "Do I burn the troll now or do I wait until I've dealt with these other enemies?" Maybe works better in turn based but I think the basic idea is sound.

In Requiem the trolls have really high health regeneration which isn't exactly the same thing as you have to focus them down and if they run off they've regenerated by the time you catch up.

Spriggans in Morrowind had the "die three deaths" thing. I think they sometimes do that in Skyrim but a sufficiently powerful blow will finish them off without it happening.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: December 27, 2014, 02:19:55 am »

I ended up removing Requiem in my overhaul compilation, pretty early on when I was making it. I ended up turning 99% of it off cause most of it was annoying. Didn't find Skyrim Redone that great either. Plus, I have SPERG, which has more perks than Skyrim Redone which was only reason I liked Skyrim Redone.

After removing Requiem, I saw a 75-80% drop in CTDs and my FPS increased by around 5...so probably wasn't very happy being in a big mod list. Plus it is pretty script intensive. I didn't like it anyway.

I personally have found more enjoyment in more...precise mods with a clear focus. Not so much putting a huge overhaul like Requiem in.

Plus, the new Requiem and Skyrim Redone uses a really lame java program that has destroyed tons of peoples games...and the java program is really lame and takes FAR too much time to get actually working. So now I just won't use them at all. I don't use any mod that includes that java program used to bash load order or whatever its supposed to do.

(edit)

So I'm gonna play a modified pacifist character (I have timescale set to 6, so it isn't super fast). Kinda a jackal & hyde style character.

Pretty much...in the day...my character does "peasant" kinda stuff but does no combat. She uses illusions and stealth mainly. However, mostly does "chores" (non-combat stuff) for various people and does bard songs (I have a song to be a real mod in Skyrim) to earn money and works on farms etc.

At night though, she does necromancy/thievery/killing. The npcs she'll choose would probably likely be ones that say something mean or are douchey (NAZEEM) or could be a random passerby...

Mostly going to live in Falkreath and riverwood area. When in need of adventure or exotic supplies, I'll have to go out and explore and what not. When she turns "evil", I'll probably go to whiterun and surrounding villages. So as a way my character "blacks out" and ends up somewhere else. Personal reasons, I don't want to end up with a bounty in falkreath. Though if anyone douchey is there, they may end up disappeared and become a corpse on the alter :P
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 05:11:16 am by Vendayn »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11710 on: December 30, 2014, 03:45:45 am »

Keep an eye on Beyond Reach (if you haven't heard of it):
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48467/?

It opens up Highrock. I did a test game, and it was actually really cool...even voice acted.

Though version 3 had bugs, and guy said it should be 1-2 weeks or so before he uploads the finished version. Guess voice acting/fixing bugs took the longest out of anything in his development. To be honest, I'd imagine that be really boring to go through :P

In any case...seems like a really good mod. Definitely DLC worthy from what I saw, if it was official. I'll be looking forward to his new version he is coming out with.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11711 on: December 30, 2014, 08:47:55 am »

It opens up Highrock. I did a test game, and it was actually really cool...even voice acted.

Though version 3 had bugs, and guy said it should be 1-2 weeks or so before he uploads the finished version. Guess voice acting/fixing bugs took the longest out of anything in his development. To be honest, I'd imagine that be really boring to go through :P

In any case...seems like a really good mod. Definitely DLC worthy from what I saw, if it was official. I'll be looking forward to his new version he is coming out with.
You are not talking about a "moonpath to elseweir" I hope? Because if it's not, then colour me interested.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: December 30, 2014, 03:05:14 pm »

You are not talking about a "moonpath to elseweir" I hope? Because if it's not, then colour me interested.

Not sure what you mean. But, this mod seems more open judging by what I saw of the map if that is what you mean. And you do seem to have to think on things, even right in the beginning when you fight a particular person. Just talk to a merchant (guess like moonpath to elsweyr) in a certain city and travel there. Its definitely a lot more feature complete than many new land mods that either never get finished or take forever to.

There are other good new land mods...Shadow of Morrowind (though its not 100%), Wyrmstooth, Blackland and of course Falskaar and Moonpath. Plus there are mods that open up smaller areas to the game. But if someone just focused on the big ones I listed...that adds a lot of new land/content.

There is also

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54326/?

Which adds Orsinium, but its only 0.5 version. This one looks good too and looks like its on its way to being finished. It looks playable as it is, but I haven't got it to see.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: December 31, 2014, 12:42:37 am »

So, I'm exploring Blackreach and decided to colonize it.

After cleaning out Falmer/robots. I put down my guild stone, and recruited some farmers from the surface (bad idea thinking on it :P) and then had them patrol the place. Then I built some buildings, walled defenses and some basic stuff to live down there like a farm, apple tree and even spawned in some farm animals. Then I built my fort inside the city...and recruited a bunch of guards after going through the tutorial for the fort.

Well...Falmer pwn the farmers. Then they take my fort...and now haunt the small village.

Unluckily, all the farm animals ended up Falmer food. And now I have no fort. And no one is part of my guild.

Well...time to colonize properly! I'm gonna recruit the high queen of skyrim (Elisif), I'm gonna recruit Tullius, Ulfric and his 2nd in command (forgot his name) and a bunch of high level boss people into my guild.

Then, we'll take back the lost settlement! Skyrim will unite to colonize the underground of Blackreach :D They'll fear the leaders and Jarls of Skyrim securing Blackreach for all of Tamriel.

And...then I'll recruit a bunch from my fort to get a proper army going. And then work on making a real city (I can have 200 people living down in Blackreach in the city alone lol)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: January 11, 2015, 03:25:27 pm »

So, I'm finally testing my final overhaul. I've gone through a few, but the anime one was naturally broken and the worst. I ended up removing that. The original creator (I tried to fix it), included some epic stuff and a lot of custom things in his, but a lot of mods created save bloat/ctds (like he included crimson tide and most know how bad that one is). I couldn't fix it, even though it was epic. It would have taken too much time and I didn't feel like going through that huge annoyance.

I ended up going back to my overhaul that worked (which was my very first one, funny enough). I removed all the adult content (that saved a lot of space/increased performance and reduced ctds and save file size) and removed a some other mods. There is still nudity though for both males/females. That was only adult stuff I kept. I also changed winter to tropical, as I found the winter stuff kind of bland...the winter overhaul was just snow everywhere and not really aany variety. Even vanilla skyrim had more variety. I chose tropical also, because my real life friend can't play games with snow as he has really sensitive (and bad at seeing) eyes and snow really hurts his eyes on any brightness. He can't even play vanilla Skyrim because of it. My eyes are kinda the same actually, as snow did always hurt my eyes as well (not in real life though which is funny, just games). So, I chose tropical because it looks incredibly pretty and that was what my friend wanted anyway. It did lower FPS by 20 points from the winter overhaul though. Which I'll have to figure out on my system.

I'll post the load order once I fully test the overhaul (I plan to do a 100+ hour character before releasing). Because things might change a bit (I'm not adding anymore mods though). But there are 190 esms/esps and 186 active (the other 4 are merged into bashed patch). I'm also including a guide (I didn't before), the load order to import through mod manager and some other useful stuff I never included in previous overhauls. I'm doing A LOT more work into this one to make sure it 101% works. I don't want to release another broken mod (like the anime one was too broken and I couldn't fix it).
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 896