Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1602648 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11145 on: October 01, 2014, 05:50:02 pm »

Eh, I'm not arguing against absurd fantasy weapons, just the idea of pretending that they bear any resemblance to reality.

Perfect example: Guts' sword. It's (obviously) completely unrealistic, but the concept behind it would be sound in a world where someone could feasibly carry around and wield a sword like the Dragonslayer; it's not a cutting tool so much as a crude wedge with so much force behind it that things come apart anyways. Sort of like a conceptual opposite to the archetypical 'mono-molecular blade' that cuts almost purely because of the sharpness of the blade rather than the force behind it.

:|

But yeah Sephiroth's sword can die in a fire, that thing is moronic even by JRPG standards.

But then there's the actual size of the weapon affecting leverage (which isn't easily handwaved by unusual materials) and other considerations, like oversized blades getting stuck or being more easily intercepted.

Intercepted by what?
Enemy swords. Allies. Trees. Buildings. The ground. Rocks. Painted backgrounds. Stunt doubles. Air resistance. Invisible fairies. Magic space whales. All of creation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: October 01, 2014, 05:51:31 pm »

But yeah Sephiroth's sword can die in a fire, that thing is moronic even by JRPG standards

Conceptually Sephiroth's sword is essentially a long spear. It is quite practical the way it is used.

Also no JRPG standards makes Sephiroth's sword stand out around tops... or shall we forget maces in Monster Hunter that would be completely useless (and people in Monster Hunter don't even have the super strength excuse).

I just will accept weapons that are CRAZY so long as there is a reason why the crazy design actually works.

In what way does Sephiroth's weapon... One that wouldn't be stopped because it clashed with the scenery be impractical?

Enemy swords. Allies. Trees. Buildings. The ground. Rocks. Painted backgrounds. Stunt doubles. Air resistance. Invisible fairies. Magic space whales. All of creation

Better hope they can withstand such materials.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:54:16 pm by Neonivek »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: October 01, 2014, 05:52:51 pm »

(ninja'd)

And TES weapon design tends more towards the realistic side than the, well, JRPG side.

tl;dr: TES doesn't have giant mallets, Volendrung is the closest there is, and I think that's a good thing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: October 01, 2014, 05:54:03 pm »

What part of grip configuration did you fail to understand?  The part where it is the grip, or the part where it is the configuration of said grip?   I fully comprehend the concept of using leverage to elongate the arc and increase the force, but that has its maximums as well, as does the mass you can reliably swing.  I seriously don't know how anyone can fail to grasp that it is the combination of all features of a weapon that determine its effectiveness, and that lighter does not equal better in the majority of cases, nor does longer, heavier, wider, thicker nor any other singular feature of a weapon.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11149 on: October 01, 2014, 05:55:31 pm »

What is odd is that TES could even justify the Barrel Mallets.

It would probably be a much better weapon for Giants, for example, then a typical Warhammer.

Afterall their typical enemy are humans who die with one hit, their armor being pretty much useless against that kind of force... While a Warhammer will get stuck a Barrel Mallet will not only remove them from play, won't get stuck, but also might also destroy more then one target if they hit another person.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:57:26 pm by Neonivek »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11150 on: October 01, 2014, 05:58:00 pm »

What part of grip configuration did you fail to understand?  The part where it is the grip, or the part where it is the configuration of said grip?   I fully comprehend the concept of using leverage to elongate the arc and increase the force, but that has its maximums as well, as does the mass you can reliably swing.  I seriously don't know how anyone can fail to grasp that it is the combination of all features of a weapon that determine its effectiveness, and that lighter does not equal better in the majority of cases, nor does longer, heavier, wider, thicker nor any other singular feature of a weapon.
No one's saying that lighter=automatically better. I was just arguing against the supposed virutes of giant mallet hammers. If you want a better hammer, you want a denser, not a larger head.

Which makes it kind of weird that a glass warhammer would be better than, say, a dwarven or steel one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11151 on: October 01, 2014, 05:59:16 pm »

Honestly the glass warhammer is CLEARLY "Fantasy materials progression" at play.

Because I can imagine glass being a harder and sharper material then steel... But I wouldn't think it would make a superior hammer...

If you want a better hammer, you want a denser, not a larger head

Depends what you are using it for.

Warhammer designs seem to be made around the concept of armor.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: October 01, 2014, 06:02:13 pm »

The 'advantage' of mallet type weapons is the capacity to cause wide-spread blunt force trauma to mostly unarmored targets, such as horses.  Most mallet type weapons were made of wood banded with iron/steel, and were used against horses and peasant conscripts.  Not that the weapon ever saw significant use.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11153 on: October 01, 2014, 06:03:27 pm »

Against softer targets, you don't really need some kind of specialized hammer. The armor-piercers would smash bones pretty well. A wooden mallet is something you'd use because you can't afford a proper warhammer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11154 on: October 01, 2014, 06:03:59 pm »

The 'advantage' of mallet type weapons is the capacity to cause wide-spread blunt force trauma to mostly unarmored targets, such as horses.  Most mallet type weapons were made of wood banded with iron/steel, and were used against horses and peasant conscripts.  Not that the weapon ever saw significant use.

I don't know... I'd still say a mallet hammer in a giant's hands would be far superior to the spike hammer. Since their prime enemy aren't other giants.

Then again I personally think that the club is their ideal weapon. Probably banded with sheet metal but no spikes.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: October 01, 2014, 06:05:38 pm »

Giants have the longer limbs to make using oversized weapons feasible. And to them, a giant mallet with a long handle is proportionally like a warhammer anyway.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: October 01, 2014, 06:07:02 pm »

The average soldier in any medieval/fantasy setting is a conscript, reserve, or must otherwise provide their own equipment, and a iron banded wooden mallet is vastly less expensive than any solid metal weapon, freeing up funds for other vital considerations, such as that extremely protective chain shirt and steel cap.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: October 01, 2014, 06:07:55 pm »

Yeah...

Club > Mallet > Warhammer

For Giants

Though I do wonder if there is an even better weapon for them than a Club.

Because I know that the larger you are the less effective blades become essentially.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11158 on: October 01, 2014, 06:09:57 pm »

Unless said blade is made and proportioned for a giant, then it would still be about as effective.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11159 on: October 01, 2014, 06:29:26 pm »

Honestly the glass warhammer is CLEARLY "Fantasy materials progression" at play.

Because I can imagine glass being a harder and sharper material then steel... But I wouldn't think it would make a superior hammer...
It's not real glass, just a really hard and not very dense crystal.

That said, not being dense does make it a shitty material for a hammer.

Unless said blade is made and proportioned for a giant, then it would still be about as effective.
Only for giant-sized enemies. Otherwise it'd behave like a club against significantly smaller opponents.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 896