Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1602129 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11055 on: September 20, 2014, 10:38:44 pm »

Civil War Overhaul + Tundra Defense, I think. CWO makes the battles more dynamic, lets you encounter roaming bands of fighters, etc... Tundra Defense lets you build your own fort to defend your land, hire mercs to guard and raid nearby.

Still, two main sides.  Three, if you use the mod that adds the Thalmor.  I was thinking of having at least 7, not including the player.  Maybe a couple groups who you can assist in power grabs over one of the lands, some stopping at that and others wanting more.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11056 on: September 20, 2014, 11:55:48 pm »

I highly recommend OpenMW for that sort of project.

That is, I recommend what OpenMW will be in 5 years, which is OpenSK.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: September 22, 2014, 09:22:32 am »

Hm, this just made me reinstall the entire Skyrim with DLC and all.

I've started playing the New Misadventures of Punch Kitty! The female Khajiit brawler.

Since unarmed combat is so nerf, I'm considering making a small plugin that adds a merchant with pre-enchanted gloves of Fortify Unarmed. I wonder if there would be a demand of such a thing? I think making it level dependant so that you can only buy a glove powerful enough to be on par with daggers of the same power level (adjusted for one-handed skill/perks, not base) or something. Also so that you don't have to use Fists of Steel and heavy armored gloves.

(I'm aware you can probably glitch-enchant it yourself to 10,000 damage or something but I want to keep this one sensible and non-cheaty).

EDIT: Hm, I wonder if I can take a mesh for boxing gloves from Fallout and import them into Skyrim...

EDIT2: And I just found that there's already a similar mod that only adds special gloves: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/22290/?
Which is exactly what I was planning, hehe.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:27:57 am by Sergius »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:09 am »

legendary dragon gauntlets with that enchantment and the fists of steel perk + khajiit unarmed bonus should give a decent ~80 damage per punch.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: September 22, 2014, 12:36:13 pm »

legendary dragon gauntlets with that enchantment and the fists of steel perk + khajiit unarmed bonus should give a decent ~80 damage per punch.

Improvements on armor/armor skill have no effect on Fists of Steel, only base damage (so Legendary from smithing is irrelevant). This makes Daedric the best at +18 damage (dragonbone is only 12). Khajiit get 22 base damage, that's 40. Assuming you manage something like +18 Fortify on gloves and ring for a total of 36, you can only go up to about 76... with maximum enchant and perks, maybe with bonuses from bought potions.

This is fairly good for a while but it's nothing when we're considering non-exploit damages of 500 or so from weapons. To compete we'd need at least something like a total Fortify Unarmed of 300 or more. (now, I haven't tested the non-exploity damage from weapons, I'll do that when I get home today using console commands. I consider an exploit improving Alchemy using equipment, then improving Smithing using alchemy, ad infinitum).

Thinking about this... all that is really needed is to mod the Fortify Unarmed effect to give it a higher base damage to make it competitive with weapons. The trick is in finding a good balance without making it OP.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: September 22, 2014, 01:05:21 pm »

You don't really need to match the damage of endgame weapons in order to be successful with unarmed, even in vanilla. You easily could with the alchemy-smithing exploit without being overpowered, but you don't have to. You just need good defense or to use it in tandem with shouts. It may take longer to kill some things but you will still kill them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11061 on: September 22, 2014, 01:06:20 pm »

You could get DSR as well; it lets you trade dragon souls for unarmed damage.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: September 22, 2014, 01:29:15 pm »

You don't really need to match the damage of endgame weapons in order to be successful with unarmed, even in vanilla. You easily could with the alchemy-smithing exploit without being overpowered, but you don't have to. You just need good defense or to use it in tandem with shouts. It may take longer to kill some things but you will still kill them.

This seems to work until you hit level 25 or so, but after that it just seems to become pretty much impossible to keep up. Or that appears to be the consensus.

That mod looks interesting, not too OP (up to 100 extra unarmed that you raise gradually). The downside is that to get those you have to kill dragons... unarmed :D

Right now I've been avoiding the main quest so that I don't have to face dragons yet. When I do, they'll all probably be ancient and pwn me.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11063 on: September 22, 2014, 01:32:12 pm »

This seems to work until you hit level 25 or so, but after that it just seems to become pretty much impossible to keep up. Or that appears to be the consensus.

That mod looks interesting, not too OP (up to 100 extra unarmed that you raise gradually). The downside is that to get those you have to kill dragons... unarmed :D

Right now I've been avoiding the main quest so that I don't have to face dragons yet. When I do, they'll all probably be ancient and pwn me.

IDK who's consensus. As long as you have the right armor, it doesn't really matter what you're killing stuff with. And fighting dragons unarmed is the most satisfying thing in the game.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: September 22, 2014, 01:42:45 pm »

That's a fair point, armor could just make all the difference. I'm only at steel level right now, heh. Already finding Bandit Plunderers too hard to beat.

Any idea what's the best way to fight dragons without shooting at them? Do they eventually just get bored and land? When I played normally I found that using bows and spells was the only way to get them down on the ground for good.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: September 22, 2014, 02:05:26 pm »

They do get bored and land. Just watch out fighting them in the Reach, they tend to land in really inconvenient places.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: September 22, 2014, 03:07:53 pm »

Ah, reminds me of Thyrulda from my Stupidly Survivalist Skyrim.
Good times.
Punching dragon to death? Easy.
Fighting an entire Imperial Regiment unarmed? Cakewalk.
Fighting an entire Stormcloak Regiment unarmed that appeared immediately after the Imperial one? Such Ease.
Finding a Chaurus Reaper unexpectedly? Time to cheat.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11067 on: September 22, 2014, 03:27:42 pm »

One thing I don't mind cheating at all is my carry weight. It may be "immersive" but making multiple trips to haul stuff or caring about weight micromanagement is something I have never enjoyed.

If it were up to me all games would have a single unlimited inventories for the entire party. Weight would only play a role when it's equipped stuff or something. (in Daggerfall you had a cart, and there was a glitch that let you move everything directly to it while dungeon delving, hehe)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: September 22, 2014, 03:33:15 pm »

1) Bring companion
2) Hold down "activate/talk" key on companion
3) Point to loot
4) They are sworn to carry your burdens.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: September 22, 2014, 03:38:17 pm »

They also have a weight limit ;)
I'm carrying nearly 1500 right now.
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 896