Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1602713 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10965 on: July 20, 2014, 01:36:42 pm »

So, uh, it's probably come up here before, but there's this thing coming out (eventually) called Skywind. It's a merging of Skyrim's engine and graphics with Morrowind's world. Apparently it requires copies of both games to play, but it looks really pretty.

Thinking I might want to pick up a copy of Morrowind in the next 24 hours while it's cheap, just to get a crack at this baby. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Not to put a downer on this, but it's very, very bare bones at the moment (other than the simply amazing work on the terrain/world) and I feel it'll be a long, long time (if ever) before it becomes a properly playable remake. I've been watching it since it began and there's not be heaps of progress in terms of actual playable stuff (Morrowind is absolutely, absolutely massive though) and even if it does get done, it'll be rather different.

There are apparently a lot of hard limitations in the Skyrim engine (map size/physics and whatever) which will cause problems in implementation and furthermore, they're using all of Skyrim systems/spells/whatever, which means it'll play very, very differently. I'm sure it'll be interesting, but I doubt it'll play much like Morrowind.

OpenMW (https://openmw.org/en/) is more interesting in my opinion, it's porting the base game to a new engine and they've got heaps done with it (and it'll be most certainly finished). It'll also have things like a proper physics engine which the base game doesn't have. Granted it doesn't improve the graphics, but they're making it with modding being absolutely 100% supported, so I'm sure it won't take long for really impressive graphics mods to come out. You can also use all the mods that work with the base morrowind game, so all sorts of mods (including better graphics ones) should work straight away.

edit: example of probably the best MW graphics mod so far - still not as impressive as skywind, but a bit better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d69wYi3_LWo
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:38:48 pm by Retropunch »
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: July 20, 2014, 03:41:20 pm »

I that case, I think I'll just wait until it's got more content and grab Morrowind then. The sales will only get better as it becomes more dated, that's for sure.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10967 on: July 20, 2014, 05:40:35 pm »

This makes more sense.

Make game.
Let a few friends play together
Fun and laughs!
Don't change the game!

Wow...revolutionary! Make same game but not Nerf it or change it cause more than one person! Same exact game! It be a stupid revolutionary idea...stupid cause no one does it that way. Which makes them complete idiots.

Would I or my friend care story or quests was made for one? No! It be fun and laughs.

Developers are morons when it comes to multiplayer.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:43:46 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10968 on: July 20, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »

So, uh, it's probably come up here before, but there's this thing coming out (eventually) called Skywind. It's a merging of Skyrim's engine and graphics with Morrowind's world. Apparently it requires copies of both games to play, but it looks really pretty.

Thinking I might want to pick up a copy of Morrowind in the next 24 hours while it's cheap, just to get a crack at this baby. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Oh I will definitely be playing that once it comes out. Morrowind is probably my favorite game of all time, so it's a complete no-brainer. I'm not so sure about some of the changes they're making, like voicing all the dialog, messing with the crafting system, etc. We'll see.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: July 20, 2014, 05:58:15 pm »

Hey, they did it with Oblivion, and I remember that being fucking amazing.

Anywho, I'm finally getting around to buying the complete edition for PC. I've had it since launch on Xbax, but...PCismasterraceyo
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: July 20, 2014, 07:06:11 pm »

Oh yeah. I played a bit today and my thoughts strayed towards all the little things my Skyrim does that the console version can't do. My character has a ponytail that actually has physics and flaps about as she runs. When she pulls out a weapon, she puts her helmet on automatically, then takes the helmet off again when she sheathes the weapon. When she switches to her healing spells, the greatsword she'd been using doesn't just magically vanish from her back. Her armor doesn't have breasts. Her swords are actually shaped like swords, not paddles. Her horse can be equipped with a variety of saddles and armors (which didn't cost $2.50 each), and she can whistle to make it come to her. She doesn't run the risk of wasting a grand soulgem by accidentally filling it with a petty soul. She doesn't have to spend a million years digging out a single ore vein, and neither does she have to drop silver ore one by one before casting transmute again. In fact, she doesn't have to cast transmute again at all, because her transmute converts all the ore she has in one go. She doesn't have to bother with things like torches and light spells because she has a lantern on her hip that lights up automatically at night or in dungeons and turns itself off automatically when she sneaks. She doesn't have to remember what alchemy ingredients do and what stats various items have because she's wearing Google Glass and has an app that tells her the stats of whatever she happens to be looking at. The people in her world don't get slaughtered by dragons and vampires because they're smart enough to run the fuck away and hide in their houses. She never gets lost, because the map she has actually shows things maps are primarily made to show, like, oh I don't know, roads. And so on and so forth.

It's just little things, but a lot of little things together makes a big, big difference.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:14:28 pm by Sordid »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: July 20, 2014, 08:10:58 pm »

Oh I will definitely be playing that once it comes out. Morrowind is probably my favorite game of all time, so it's a complete no-brainer. I'm not so sure about some of the changes they're making, like voicing all the dialog, messing with the crafting system, etc. We'll see.
Morroblivion is pretty much completely done, so you could give that a go for more up to date graphics. I have to say though, it's a very different game to Morrowind and the experience is completely different. If you love Oblivion gameplay and systems then it's basically just like a massive content mod/expansion, but it's not like just playing Morrowind with better graphics. Also remember that these are fan made, and whilst the quality is high, there are bits that look a bit amateurish.

To be honest, Morrowind is so amazing that I'd just buy it, get the Morrowind overhaul mod and get going with it. The graphics with the overhaul are a lot, lot nicer and definitely bearable by today's standards. This video shows the difference quite well*:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AiB-hz2tMM

There's also the graphics overhaul mod, which adds shader injections just like the ones for skyrim: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/41102/?

Play around, but I'd thoroughly encourage getting it, as with those mods the graphics are awesome enough, but it's the sheer scale of everything which makes up for the lousy textures.

*He is one of those really, really annoying youtube people that talks for absolutely AGES about every.single.thing repeated as if you couldn't go back if you missed something - the change over happens at around 3 minutes, but it's worth getting a feel of it before hand, if you can stand the droning.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10972 on: July 21, 2014, 02:09:19 pm »

After multiple hours of using the Requiem mod and getting to level 7, without really feeling like I was making any progress in the mod, I ended up uninstalling it.

I liked the concept, though the "World of Oneshots" was getting to be extremely aggravating. I probably Quicksaved more in the short time I played that mod than I had during full games that took me to level 50+. Ended up reinstalling Skyrim Redone with some patches and other things to make it a bit more of a hardcore experience, though I don't see myself going back to Requiem any time soon.

It also could've been some other combination of mods, but I tended to crash a lot more during the relatively short time I played it, especially around dragons.

Anyone else have experience/success with Requiem? If so, thoughts?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10973 on: July 21, 2014, 02:19:45 pm »

My experience with Requiem has been that it's absolutely miserable for the first 10 to 15 levels, but after that it gets fairly satisfying. It's very much built from an endgame perspective, by which I mean it's focused on making where you wind up after playing a while fun, but doesn't so much pay attention to the beginning when you don't have enough resources to take advantage of all the interesting features. If I were to play it again, I'd probably use the console to gain a bunch of levels right off before I start adventuring - there's something to be said for a sense of accomplishment for doing something difficult, but I'm more interested in the accomplishment of going from bandits to dragons than from mundane wildlife to bandits.

Also, I found I needed to switch off the AI adjustments, because everyone and everything just ran away from me unless it could oneshot me. So that's a thing. This might have to do with having chosen to start in an Orc stronghold through Live Another Life, which gives you a free set of Orcish armor.

I also take issue with the guy's ideas about what constitutes "realism" in a fantasy setting with dragons, but whatever. It's all down to taste.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10974 on: July 21, 2014, 02:26:11 pm »

Anyone else have experience/success with Requiem? If so, thoughts?

Although I read into it a lot and was very excited, I have to say I only played it briefly. They've basically just jammed in everything which is 'hard' and it goes too far the other way. It's not even really the difficulty aspect of it, just that they've equated difficulty with one-shot kills and the removal of convenience features. It's exactly the same with the MISERY mod for STALKER - especially with the one-shot aspect. One shot deaths (bar massive player stupidity) are NEVER FUN.

Unfortunately a lot of this is wrapped up with some good ideas and a generally better feeling of immersion.

Anyone know of any better balanced mods?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10975 on: July 21, 2014, 04:21:53 pm »

Anyone know of any better balanced mods?

Its called SkyRe.

You've heard of it.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10976 on: July 21, 2014, 04:28:09 pm »

SkyRe might indeed be a good mod, however it is also incompatible other good mods as well.
Forgot which mods they are, but I stopped using SkyRe as I like those other mods as well.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: July 21, 2014, 05:07:03 pm »

I have used SkyRe and enjoyed it (it's especially good at late game), although some of the alterations just didn't sit well with me. I know that's going to be the case in most big mods, but I just got that feeling quite a lot somehow.

I'm basically looking for something between SkyRe and vanilla, which is a subtler balance without being a complete overhaul.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: July 21, 2014, 05:41:45 pm »

Frostfall is stupid, stupid fun.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10979 on: July 21, 2014, 05:48:03 pm »

If you want to be frustrated, play Requiem Skyrim.
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 896