Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1603095 times)

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10875 on: June 23, 2014, 12:41:37 pm »

Ya, I'm using LOOT already and was having the compatibility in mind and checked it for every mod and it seemed just fine. It's mostly new weapons/armor/sounds/textures and such stuff with a bit of Climate and Wet and Cold. I'll see how it works out, I guess. Trial and error, hehe. But thanks for raising the awareness!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10876 on: June 23, 2014, 12:44:07 pm »

Ya, I'm using LOOT already and was having the compatibility in mind and checked it for every mod and it seemed just fine. It's mostly new weapons/armor/sounds/textures and such stuff with a bit of Climate and Wet and Cold. I'll see how it works out, I guess. Trial and error, hehe. But thanks for raising the awareness!

No worries. Not trying to make things sound dire, it's just that in my experience, by far most bugs and errors I see people reporting on the Nexus are from the issues I just reported and aren't a problem with the mods themselves.

I still recommend TES5EDIT. It looks complicated, but you can see for yourself how compatible things are and what's conflicting with what.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10877 on: June 23, 2014, 12:55:54 pm »

Nexus mod manager can break mods. Its likely it installs them wrong, or breaks other mods. Steam workshop is even worse, but better for small mod list. Nexus manager is shit. A lame copy of oblivion mod manager, not even using the more updated fallout manager. Made by nexus team, not involved in the real mod managers. That way they can get donations for it.

Better to use workshop (small mod list) or manually install them. Works far better and more stable.

I can't comment on the quality of the Nexus Mod Manager as I've never used it, but STEP recommends Mod Organizer and I'm generally inclined to trust the STEP team. I install mods manually, but I also manually resolve conflicts and keep the archive file around so that when I uninstall it I know precisely what files to get rid of. It can be really problematic doing it manually, though. If a mod has scripts that overwrite vanilla scripts, for example, you need to make sure that you manually delete the scripts it came with, not just the ESP file, or else you'll run into problems. I suspect that for most people that's going to prove too much of a hassle. (What happens when one mod's scripts or textures overwrite another mods, and you want to uninstall the second but keep the first around? I have to try to remember what installed what and search through my archives to see if I haven't broken anything when I uninstall things. Mod Organizer keeps track of this for you.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:00:05 pm by Taffer »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10878 on: June 23, 2014, 03:17:19 pm »

Oh man I just played Skyrim for like... 4 hours or something. I feel like I just woke up from a coma. I did not mean to play that long.

Still. Such a good game. I haven't played a AAA title in ages. I had forgotten how massive and incredible a game can be with a budget like that. Don't get me wrong, I'm still all about the indie love, but... just wow.

Also, I set it to easy so I feel like a total badass.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10879 on: June 23, 2014, 03:23:15 pm »

Nexus mod manager can break mods. Its likely it installs them wrong, or breaks other mods. Steam workshop is even worse, but better for small mod list. Nexus manager is shit. A lame copy of oblivion mod manager, not even using the more updated fallout manager. Made by nexus team, not involved in the real mod managers. That way they can get donations for it.

Better to use workshop (small mod list) or manually install them. Works far better and more stable.

I can't comment on the quality of the Nexus Mod Manager as I've never used it, but STEP recommends Mod Organizer and I'm generally inclined to trust the STEP team. I install mods manually, but I also manually resolve conflicts and keep the archive file around so that when I uninstall it I know precisely what files to get rid of. It can be really problematic doing it manually, though. If a mod has scripts that overwrite vanilla scripts, for example, you need to make sure that you manually delete the scripts it came with, not just the ESP file, or else you'll run into problems. I suspect that for most people that's going to prove too much of a hassle. (What happens when one mod's scripts or textures overwrite another mods, and you want to uninstall the second but keep the first around? I have to try to remember what installed what and search through my archives to see if I haven't broken anything when I uninstall things. Mod Organizer keeps track of this for you.)

Mod organizer is great, especially for 99% of modders. I prefer the manual approach still, but that is more of a hardcore approach that does often lead to many annoyances. I find my game is still far more stable than automatic, however, 99% people will find the opposite. Which mod organizer is definitely the best one to use.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10880 on: June 23, 2014, 03:24:12 pm »

mods with scripts can't even be safely uninstalled.

I suppose now is the time to mention this again.

One neat trick to use (especially with large loadorders and really old saves) is something you can do with SKSE. Go to Skyrim>Data>SKSE, create a SKSE.ini file, and add this:

Code: [Select]
[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

I've got a two year old savefile running with a large loadorder, after adding and removing mods in at least six different waves, with zero CTDs, even after hours of continuous play. Before I added that, I was CTDing roughly once every fifteen minutes or so. Cleaning up broken scripts really does improve your stability a hell of a lot.

In regards to NMM: It is sort of shitty, but if you run BOSS after installing your modset and don't do anything really stupid with your loadorder, you shouldn't have any issues. I use it just because it's something of a timesaver, both in regards to installation and because it gives you links in the manager to the nexus pages for every mod you have. MO is better, but I CBA to change everything over now. If you're just starting out, get MO instead of NMM if you aren't comfortable doing everything manually.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10881 on: June 23, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »

Yeah, THOSE FOXES DON'T EVEN HAVE MEAT YOU MURDERER :P

And their fur is substandard for armormaking too. I generally ignore foxes (bunnies however are a prize commodity, thanks to Achieve That! giving a permanent damage bonus for hunting down enough of the fuckers.

So has anyone managed to get Immersive Armors 7 and SkyRe compatible with each other without using NMM?

I do all my modding manually, and I seem to have screwed this up (My iron armor has 87 armor rating. Ebony has 60. That's just the tip of the "this shit is fucked" iceberg)
SkyRe should have a specific patch for Immersive Armors, i find that and drop that on hopefully fixing your issue. Doing modding manually is extremely difficult (and dangerous, you can fuck your install to the point of reinstall) especially when you have scripts being overwritten all over the place. I recommend using Mod Organizer or something to make this easy.

Still need help with this, because SkyRe does NOT have a patch out for the new version, and the steps IA gives you are pretty much "1: Go to this other dudes page. 2: ??? 3: Profit"
And said other dude has FORTY SIX different mods all named basically the exact same thing and doesn't give you any instructions on which one you want or how to properly install them when you think you worked it out maybe.
Also "requires" a mod that doesn't seem to have anything to do with this, and seems actively destructive to these purposes.

Oh trust me, I'm well aware of the probs of manual modding, had to fully reinstall Skyrim once. I've since realized you can just delete the scripts folder and verify files from Steam to make the process a lot shorter, but still annoying and requires redownloading shit.
ok i think i know what you are talking about. First you need to install ReProccer http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/28467/?
Then go to ReProccer patches http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48629/? and download the main file. Open it and search for 45 IA7, in that folder is the patch files you need for IA compatibility.

SkyRe is a huge mod so ReProccer was a tool developed to make mod compatibility real damn easy.
use this for reference http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1410835-immersive-armors-not-working-with-skyre/

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10882 on: June 23, 2014, 04:06:18 pm »

Other way to resolve the "can't safely uninstall scripts" is to simply delete the script folder, then verify files from steam. It means you have to start over basically, but combined with Flying Dice's method should allow you to go back to playing that character you're so horny for :P

ok i think i know what you are talking about. First you need to install ReProccer http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/28467/?
Then go to ReProccer patches http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48629/? and download the main file. Open it and search for 45 IA7, in that folder is the patch files you need for IA compatibility.

SkyRe is a huge mod so ReProccer was a tool developed to make mod compatibility real damn easy.
use this for reference http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1410835-immersive-armors-not-working-with-skyre/
[/quote]

Well, that's the page I was having issues with :P

Although you did actually answer my question, I wasn't downloading the massive main file. Ugh, was hoping I could do this without dling a massive clump of mostly crap I don't need, but thanks, this should help solve mah problems.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10883 on: June 23, 2014, 04:11:22 pm »

Other way to resolve the "can't safely uninstall scripts" is to simply delete the script folder, then verify files from steam. It means you have to start over basically, but combined with Flying Dice's method should allow you to go back to playing that character you're so horny for :P
[snip]

This is a bad idea if you use the Nexus or intend to keep using your saves. References to scripts will still there in your save files, trying to run (and failing miserably, because the mod doesn't exist anymore). Deleting the scripts folder will completely break every mod from the Nexus or non-workshop sources that uses scripts, as Steam can't restore those. If you only use the workshop for mods and start a new game after you do this, it should be fine though. :) (I've never used the Workshop before though, so I'll defer to your recommendation here..)

As FlyingDice mentioned, ClearInvalidRegistrations is great to use. It's by all accounts completely safe to use. It isn't perfect though, and takes a long time. Personally, I think it's safer to just accept that if you've installed a mod and saved, you're stuck with it on that character.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:33:33 pm by Taffer »

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10884 on: June 23, 2014, 04:12:02 pm »

Oh man I just played Skyrim for like... 4 hours or something. I feel like I just woke up from a coma. I did not mean to play that long.

Still. Such a good game. I haven't played a AAA title in ages. I had forgotten how massive and incredible a game can be with a budget like that. Don't get me wrong, I'm still all about the indie love, but... just wow.

Also, I set it to easy so I feel like a total badass.

Same here! Just wanted to see if the mods work together (they do! and it's stable) and then suddenly 3 hours later. :D

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10885 on: June 23, 2014, 08:05:55 pm »

I played for 5 hours. I would have continued had my computer not told me "No, you need to stop" and crashed the game.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10886 on: June 23, 2014, 11:01:27 pm »

As FlyingDice mentioned, ClearInvalidRegistrations is great to use. It's by all accounts completely safe to use. It isn't perfect though, and takes a long time. Personally, I think it's safer to just accept that if you've installed a mod and saved, you're stuck with it on that character.
This, to a certain degree. Don't add and remove script-heavy mods at the drop of a hat. That said, mods that just add content with few/no scripts are generally safe to remove as long as you ensure that you move your character, followers, and anything you care about out of them (if they're locations).

That said -- this is purely anecdotal, of course -- I haven't seen a single issue caused by using it, nor am I sure what you mean by "taking a long time"; if you're talking about the initial cleaning, I can't say I noticed any sort of delay in loading even the first time I ran the game with it. Given the ease with which you can remove mods, it's probably not unreasonable in the case of larger/script-heavy ones to go ahead and drop them if they're causing a negative impact on your experience, or if a better mod doing the same thing comes across your radar.

--

Hoo boy. Still putting off going back through and updating my modlist now that I've got the DLCs. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10887 on: June 24, 2014, 12:45:35 am »

... nor am I sure what you mean by "taking a long time"

http://skse.silverlock.org/skse_whatsnew.txt (Emphasis mine)
- add console command ClearInvalidRegistrations to remove invalid OnUpdate() registrations
   This prevents orphaned OnUpdate() events and the resulting bloated/broken saves when removing certain mods.
   When applied to an already bloated save, it will stop growing further and instead shrink over time
   as the game processes all queued events. This may take hours depending on the amount of bloat.
   To execute automatically after each reload, add this to \Data\SKSE\skse.ini:
   [General]
   ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

That's all. It's not an immediate process, and it can sometimes take hours of play time to properly clean a save, and even then it's not truly clean. You won't notice any delays, but you also aren't going to have a "clean" save shortly after turning it on. It takes a while. You'll still see save bloat and general "Skyrim Sorcery" (aka weird bugs and brokenness) until it finishes (and possibly after).  It doesn't necessarily clear scripts, it clears OnUpdate and OnUpdateGameTime registrations.

From Arthmoor (useful thread to read):

That ONLY works for invalid update registrations. It would have no effect on anything else, and it CANNOT clear that sort of thing from broken vanilla scripts since vanilla scripts can never become invalid.

If, however, your save game bloat is brought about by a bad mod that had OnUpdate events, then yes, the SKSE flag would fix that AFTER you have uninstalled the mod.

That still doesn't mean uninstalling mods is a good idea. You can still break plenty of stuff by being careless about it.

All sorts of useful information there. If a script modified vanilla objects, for example, then those objects will remain affected even when the script is removed unless a different script reverts the changes.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:16:11 am by Taffer »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10888 on: June 24, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »

Ugh... I tried SkyUI for about two minutes before removing it. That was somehow even worse, and it lagged every time I tried to open a window. At least with the default UI I can see the items instead of just a big list with small print. It doesn't fix any of the things I actually didn't like about the UI, just removes the ones I liked... : /

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10889 on: June 24, 2014, 01:51:31 pm »

Ugh... I tried SkyUI for about two minutes before removing it. That was somehow even worse, and it lagged every time I tried to open a window. At least with the default UI I can see the items instead of just a big list with small print. It doesn't fix any of the things I actually didn't like about the UI, just removes the ones I liked... : /
You are the only person I have seen that actually prefers the vanilla UI over SkyUI.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 896