Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1599243 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10680 on: April 23, 2014, 06:52:44 pm »

What real life season equivalent does Skyrim start in, and if you were to say sleep until Winter is there a change in the weather?

No change. When Skyrim was being developed, they talked of dynamic seasons and showcased it off...but it never made it. Consoles couldn't handle it, so they removed it.

And I "think" it starts in fall. That makes most sense. Its definitely not spring, nor is it actually winter. Definitely not summer. The only other options besides fall, is very late winter going into spring, or very early spring.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10681 on: April 23, 2014, 06:57:04 pm »

Disregarding crops respawning in a week or what-not late Summer or Fall makes the most sense.

It's too bad they cut the Seasons out, that would have been cool for people like me who take forever to finish the main quest. (I still haven't)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: April 23, 2014, 07:17:22 pm »

Well, let's check the Calendar

The game starts on 17 Last Seed iirc, so that'd be about late August. Bear in mind it's in Scandanavian/Russian equivalent lattitudes, so the signs of summer seen in, say England (or Cyrodil) wouldn't be as apparent.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10683 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:03 am »

snip

Looks pretty good. Do you have a list of the mods you are using for it?
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #10684 on: April 24, 2014, 02:42:56 pm »

Blame Stephen Spielberg for that one.

This link tried to infect my computer.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: April 24, 2014, 03:04:54 pm »

You must have some pretty bad malware then, because that's the Escapist.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10686 on: April 24, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »

Blame Stephen Spielberg for that one.

This link tried to infect my computer.
Yeah, you've got something redirecting you then. Check your browser plugins.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: April 27, 2014, 11:36:30 am »

I was just remembering...

Oblivion

Character creation hell

*moves one slider*
"Noooo! Why are all the sliders moving! I didn't want to move that!"
*gives up and presses random*

Was sooo annoying. More than blob faces and cloned voices.

But oblivion has some epic mods for it. I never got a mod compilation that was stable though. Even when I kept fewer mods like I do skyrim. Oblivion had worse performance modded than skyrim does. Even vanilla was bad on my current system. Which is a shame as there are epic mods.

I liked the start of oblivion more than skyrim too. Felt more epic...a lot more. Guess no one liked that it was a long intro.

But skyrim intro felt lame. Douchey sounding ulfric and even looks douchey or corrupt politicians of imperials. But factions aside, skyrim intro felt like it was made by a kid. Oblivion had such an epic intro with the king and assassins, going through caves and sewer. Felt so amazing.

Intro aside, skyrim is far better as a game. Has crafting for one (which I love doing in RPGs and made better with mods) and environment is far better for hardcore survival mods.

Oblivion environment was rather boring.

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: April 28, 2014, 02:21:08 am »

Yeah, Skyrim's opening has been well-criticized. You can tell what they were trying to do, though. A similar (near-identical) opening that did far better was Call of Duty 4's.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: April 28, 2014, 05:02:43 am »

The introduction, hmm. I didn't think it was too bad, but let's see how they could have improved it.

I think one issue with it is it doesn't really give you a good overview of what Skyrim as a whole is like. It would've been nice if they had set it in Whiterun or... the city on the cliff. The cart in the beginning goes around some corners to see... more trees and hills, no real spectacular view.

Also the town doesn't have any real relevance once the introduction is done with. As far as I'm aware (I haven't gone over the game finely) there are no quests which send you back there to look for survivors or salvage goods.

I think the series "Extra Credits" did a video analysing Skyrim's introduction.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: April 28, 2014, 05:17:16 am »

Yeah, Skyrim's opening has been well-criticized. You can tell what they were trying to do, though. A similar (near-identical) opening that did far better was Call of Duty 4's.
Dem's some good openings.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10691 on: April 28, 2014, 06:40:14 am »

The introduction, hmm. I didn't think it was too bad, but let's see how they could have improved it.

I think one issue with it is it doesn't really give you a good overview of what Skyrim as a whole is like. It would've been nice if they had set it in Whiterun or... the city on the cliff. The cart in the beginning goes around some corners to see... more trees and hills, no real spectacular view.
Even just raising the road somewhat or removing a few trees at one point to give a view down one of the valleys Helgen is at the intersection of would have given a good view.

Also the town doesn't have any real relevance once the introduction is done with. As far as I'm aware (I haven't gone over the game finely) there are no quests which send you back there to look for survivors or salvage goods.
As far as I recall there is one quest that takes you through the ruins when you follow Barnabus, but that is more a matter of the town being on the route that it being of any real importance.

Other than that, you can find the child you see during the attack having gone to live with his grandfather in a hut up in the mountains, and the ruins get taken over by a bandit gang, but there is no further interaction. Oh, and you can go back and find the mead with juniper berries in the destroyed inn, drink is important! :P

It certainly could have stood to have had more done with it later in the game, and there are a few plothooks left in, but I suppose that, like the originally much more expanded civil war system, it was cut/never given the time to develop.

There are a few Helgen rebuilding mods around, although I haven't found one that I like enough to keep so far.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10692 on: April 28, 2014, 07:38:45 am »

Whenever I want to play Oblivion again, I just have to look at the character creation menu before I quit the game.
In my opinion, no mods in the world can fix those faces.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: April 28, 2014, 09:07:02 am »

Whenever I want to play Oblivion again, I just have to look at the character creation menu before I quit the game.
I can live with the blob people, but that level scaling system... *shudders*
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: April 28, 2014, 09:16:36 am »

I can live with the blob people, but that level scaling system... *shudders*
Mods can fix that tough.
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 896