Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1604100 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9495 on: December 16, 2013, 02:00:36 am »

Which of Skyrim's quests do you think will end up as done by the Dovahkiin as of next game?

Now, what the Nerevarine did and didn't do is vague; hell, the dialogue in the game even makes it so that any future writing involving Vivec doesn't rely on the Nerevarine not killing him.

The Champion of Cyrodiil's actions, however, are a bit... less vague:

Quote from: Sheogorath in Skyrim
You are the best Septim that's ever ruled. Well, except for that Martin fellow, but he turned into a dragon god, and that's hardly sporting... You know, I was there for that whole sordid affair. Marvelous time! Butterflies, blood, a Fox, a severed head... Oh, and the cheese! To die for.

Of course, all of those things taken together makes the Champion of Cyrodiil an insane two-faced murderer who came bearing the Amulet of Kings to a Dragonborn Emperor of humble beginnings who was closely associated to Akatosh and acted as said Emperor's enforcer, so it would be completely nonsensical for Knights of the Nine to not have been the Champion of Cyrodiil's doing.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: December 16, 2013, 02:10:30 am »

Actually, that's a really tough question due to those quests with vastly different polarizing outcomes (I don't think that's the best way to describe it).

What I'm thinking of is the Dark Brotherhood questline, mostly. Did the Emperor get assassinated, or was the last branch of the Brotherhood eliminated? Also, who won the civil war? Did it even end? Is the Dovahkiin a werewolf?

Note: I haven't finished all questlines and DLCs so I might not have a very good idea of the extent of possible actions through every quest.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: December 16, 2013, 02:15:16 am »

Both could have happened in the Dark Brotherhood questline; after all, Babette, for example, is not killed when you wipe them out.

Who won the civil war? Likely irrelevant for the future. A minor squabble in the long run when you consider the Thalmor being a much larger threat. Consider this: while playing Skyrim, how much did you hear about the conquest of the Pelinaline anon Champion of Cyrodiil? How much about Mannimarco's fall? How much about the theft of an Elder Scroll? Very little. The Civil War may be important to the Stormcloaks and people of Skyrim, but it's nothing compared to the Aldmeri Dominion and the rest of the Empire.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: December 16, 2013, 10:43:27 am »

I would prefer to be remembered as the drunken fool who sold a goat to a giant, attempted to marry a hagraven, and somehow accidentally murderized Alduin.

Kind of like... Pathfinder, I think it was? The god of partying or whatever started out as a guy who got drunk and went on an adventure.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:45:04 am by Mephisto »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9499 on: December 16, 2013, 11:02:21 am »

"the rest of the empire"
Not much of an empire; that only officially includes what, cyrodiil, either high rock or hammerfell, and maybe morrowind? (was that argonian war concurrent with the great war?)

So, about that civil war.
-If the empire wins it, it'll be little more than a footnote like putnam said, swept away in the thalmor-empire conflict. However, I don't think this outcome bodes well for the empire at all. Where the nords were the (primary) source of the empire's second wind in the last war, it's been 20? years of being trodden on by the empire with their talos ban & allowing enemy agents jurisdiction over their territory. If losing a civil war is heaped on top of that, I don't think the mood in skyrim is going to be in any shape to stand & deliver for the empire a second time.

-If skyrim wins it, there're two choices.
-A. The empire immediately recaptures it off-screen dues-ex-machina style, which is pretty much a worse version of the last scenario.
-B. Skyrim secedes, and the empire is further crippled.

Overall I don't think the empire is long for tamriel. As has been laid out in the last few pages, bethesda have been hinting at it's fall for quite some time, and couple that with the dark brotherhood's quest 'to kill an empire', I think we're going to see a new era with a lot more elves in it.

I haven't, however, finished the main quest in skyrim yet, (I tend to get sidetracked...), so if there's some grand revelation right at the end I'm completely ignorant.

Many thanks for that post putnam! Fuckin pelinal whitestrake. That guy gets around.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:15:14 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:37 am »

The Empire might be able to win over the dominion... if:

- The Emperor is not assassinated (the Dark Brotherhood may or may not be destroyed, it matters little). A succession crisis between wars is a horrible thing to happen.
- The Empire manages to win Skyrim's civil war, ensuring that the nords remain as part of the legions.
- The Blades being restored.
- High Rock does not declare independence.
- Morrowind (led by the Redoran) re-establishing an alliance with the Empire, which is unlikely.
- Hammerfell coming to the Empire's aid despite everything that's happened.

I think the most likely situation to happen if for both Empire and Dominion to fall in some way, since a second interregnum could prove a more intresting setting for a game.

As for the quests in game, all that can be confirmed as being done by the Dovahkiin are the Skyrim and Dragonborn main quests. Everything else could be completed by regular adventurers.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9501 on: December 16, 2013, 12:20:54 pm »

That's a lot of ifs.

So long as we're talking about unlikely scenarios, I'd replace the second one with this:
-Skyrim wins the civil war, but they come to the Empire's aid despite everything that's happened.

Otherwise their resentment for the empire is just going to be simmering below the surface, and instead of the loyal troopers the empire needs they'll have semi-mutinous deserters and a northern territory ripe for trying for independence a second time.

Supposition!
Yeah, but they've only just barely scratched the surface of Mer v Man. Though I suppose they could do both an interregnum and more of that conflict. It's also arguable the empire's already entered an interregnum, given how vague the wiki page is, at least if..aw dude I was trying to spoiler that. At least if there's a succession crisis- it'll be vindicated at that point.
But yep, if there's some more earth-shattering magic coming out of the summerset isles, (the moons disappeared & reappeared eh?), but this time it goes badly. Perhaps after they've all but conquered the mainland...

If I had to wager about what they hold the dragonborn to having done, I'd say they'll paint (him) as the default nord melee type. I doubt they'll take an active role in the civil war in canon, and I also figure there'll be rumors about were-beast/vampire blood, (they can afford to be ambiguous since it's rumors, and the players will know the 'truth'). I'd also put some money on the dragonborn having significant achievements following the events in the game. They won't just let a dragonborn wither on the vine like that.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: December 16, 2013, 12:33:24 pm »

Why don't we take a third option, and have the Argonians take over BOTH empires? I mean, they were the only guys who managed to fend off the Daedra by themselves, so...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: December 16, 2013, 01:09:05 pm »

Nope, the Bosmer will take over due to being such good stealth archers.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: December 16, 2013, 02:14:52 pm »

The Empire might be able to win over the dominion... if:

- The Emperor is not assassinated (the Dark Brotherhood may or may not be destroyed, it matters little). A succession crisis between wars is a horrible thing to happen.
- The Empire manages to win Skyrim's civil war, ensuring that the nords remain as part of the legions.
- The Blades being restored.
- High Rock does not declare independence.
- Morrowind (led by the Redoran) re-establishing an alliance with the Empire, which is unlikely.
- Hammerfell coming to the Empire's aid despite everything that's happened.

I'm going to add one on top of that:

-Valenwood and Elseweyr secede from the dominion and aren't crushed by it.

The Aldmeri Dominion is scary.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: December 16, 2013, 02:17:45 pm »

-The Dragonborn, being a godlike superbeing by the end of the game, leads a conquest not unlike Tiber Septim and drives the Dominion from mainland Tamriel.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: December 16, 2013, 02:26:36 pm »

Tiber Septim needed Numidium to drive the Dominion out, and he had Zurin Arctus and Ysmir Wulfharth along with him. All three were Shezarrine, Wulfharth was the most powerful tongue in history, Septim was Dragonborn and himself knew shouts and Zurin Arctus was one of the most powerful battlemages in Tamriel at the time.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 02:28:33 pm by Putnam »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: December 16, 2013, 02:35:52 pm »

But the Dragonborn will likely play a decisive roll. If not booting them off the continent, the Dragonborn will probably turn the tide.

Bear in mind the DLC introduced the possibility of the Dragonborn using Dragons against the Dominion.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: December 16, 2013, 02:48:37 pm »

I don't want to have to bring up Nafaalilargus again :I

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: December 16, 2013, 03:16:36 pm »

Tiber Septim had one dragon at his command. The current Dragonborn potentially has dozens.
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 896