Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1604241 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9375 on: September 22, 2013, 11:58:42 am »

The end result is for my second dragon battle with my level 14 character, I dueled Sahloknir from Kynesgrove all the way to Windhelm in a battle that lasted literally two hours.
I dunno man. That just sounds like fighting a mega man boss in first person... kind of a drag.
It depends on you.

I personally like the game being significantly more difficult. My version of Skyrim is so piss hard that I can't even 1v1 a Falmer. I didn't even realize it made Falmers so strong. The combination of combat changes and combat difficulty mods, added to the stat and skill reworks make many enemies very difficult. My first troll battle only ended when I managed to FUS the damn thing off of a cliff as I didn't have any fire to staunch its crazy regeneration (I sent Lydia flying with him too). I had to run away from my first vampire battle as I had no silver weapons and it kept coming back to life hahaha.

But I prefer it that way. It makes every fight a tactical approach and I can't do the regular Skyrim thing of just holding down the left mouse button.

I also prefer the dragons being nigh unkillable simply because all the lore states that they're the destroyers of man. But it takes you less than a few minutes to kill one in vanilla. Hell, even your horse can kill it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: September 22, 2013, 12:07:56 pm »

My first troll battle only ended when I managed to FUS the damn thing off of a cliff
Can we all please take a moment to appreciate how environmental kills are the best things in gaming?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: September 22, 2013, 12:09:58 pm »

That's one of the best parts about Skyrim, is the FUS

Those swinging wall traps are great too. Needs more spikes and very large fires, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9378 on: September 23, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »

It appears something bizarre is happening with Steam as many people without Dawnguard are apparently suddenly finding it downloading and active on their accounts. There seems to have been no notice on Steam or Bethesdas websites.

If you are one of those who has received it and want to keep it if they decide to remove it again, I'd recommend making a copy of Dawnguard.esm and dawnguard.bsa from your data directory, at least until we find out what has actually happened.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: September 23, 2013, 08:39:38 pm »

Why would you want to keep the single most game-breaking piece of official DLC ever forged in the fires of whoops? :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: September 23, 2013, 09:33:39 pm »

Umiman, do you have the upgraded trap danger mod(s)? I've got one that I absolutely adore; it made traps dangerous enough that lightning runes could one-hit my level 20-something sneaky-sneakster archer. I mention lightning runes specifically because I once encountered one in a dungeon that blocked my only path forward through a narrow passage. I think I spent something like twenty minutes and as many reloads trying to get past the darned thing until I finally thought of using a scroll I had to summon a flame atronach on top of it. In a similar vein the swinging blade traps can kill you easily even at decent levels if you sprint through like vanilla, etc. etc. It's a fairly subtle change, but it also makes things more interesting, especially for sneaky kiter types; I killed more than one enemy too tough for me to fight by luring it back through a gauntlet of traps.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: September 23, 2013, 10:28:17 pm »

Umiman, do you have the upgraded trap danger mod(s)? I've got one that I absolutely adore; it made traps dangerous enough that lightning runes could one-hit my level 20-something sneaky-sneakster archer. I mention lightning runes specifically because I once encountered one in a dungeon that blocked my only path forward through a narrow passage. I think I spent something like twenty minutes and as many reloads trying to get past the darned thing until I finally thought of using a scroll I had to summon a flame atronach on top of it. In a similar vein the swinging blade traps can kill you easily even at decent levels if you sprint through like vanilla, etc. etc. It's a fairly subtle change, but it also makes things more interesting, especially for sneaky kiter types; I killed more than one enemy too tough for me to fight by luring it back through a gauntlet of traps.
I'm not sure if I have the one you're referring to specifically but I might have something similar.

I know that the various traps do about 70% damage each activation. So it's not a 1 hit KO. Mine seems to make it so that getting killed by the traps generates different kind of deaths. So that if you get killed by flame traps you burn to a crisp and if you die to moving blades you get decapitated.

I think it's the same mod that did this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=180701016

What's your trap mod? I'll put it in too. Slowly my Skyrim becomes Dark Souls haha.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:23 pm »

I'm not sure if I have the one you're referring to specifically but I might have something similar.

I know that the various traps do about 70% damage each activation. So it's not a 1 hit KO. Mine seems to make it so that getting killed by the traps generates different kind of deaths. So that if you get killed by flame traps you burn to a crisp and if you die to moving blades you get decapitated.

I think it's the same mod that did this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=180701016

What's your trap mod? I'll put it in too. Slowly my Skyrim becomes Dark Souls haha.
Looking at my list, it's Tougher Traps. It's got level-scaled damage, chances of disease infection for certain traps, visual stagger for certain traps, neat stuff like that. The instadeath probably came from the fact that basically all of my level-up bonuses went into stamina or magicka, though. I build very glass-cannon-y characters to help make it more interesting.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: September 24, 2013, 12:09:45 pm »

Why would you want to keep the single most game-breaking piece of official DLC ever forged in the fires of whoops? :P

Because of the awesome boss fights and items? Werewolf perks? New kind of dog?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: September 24, 2013, 01:16:24 pm »

Just fought a frost dragon on my level 31 sneaky thief that has 150 health and 353 stamina. My god those things are tough at that level - it pretty much demands you abuse cover.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: September 24, 2013, 01:19:43 pm »

Taking cover sounds like a valid tactic to me. Doesn't seem like an exploit.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: September 24, 2013, 01:22:22 pm »

It was until I got surprised with a FEIM and brought to within killmove range - before i opened up the menu to consume potions, the dragon had his smaller lizard cousin in his mouth. Welp.

At least I got it on the second try.

More or less vanilla Skyrim, on Adept? i forget which difficulty it was, one higher than default - expert maybe? i dunno

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: September 24, 2013, 03:42:02 pm »

Do you know some sort of hat-trick to prevent wandering jerks from devouring 9/10s of the remaining population?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: September 24, 2013, 04:06:54 pm »

Kill them?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: September 24, 2013, 04:21:01 pm »

Kill the remaining population yourself first obviously.
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 896