Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1604317 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9135 on: July 24, 2013, 07:46:19 pm »

I was thinking of hiring Stenvar, he used to do quite good as a tank back in the vanilla days. Then again, he favors two-handed weapons. That and there's still an ungodly number of ash spawns. I need more tanks.
Vilja - at higher levels, she can cast a heal player spell when she detects you're on about 25% hp. With heavy armor, a shield and a sword, she's a moderately good tank. Poor damage output. But best thing of all: she doesn't take up the vanilla follower's slot.
This, so much. Regardless of who you end up using, having a second decent follower is a godsend in a situation like that.

Oh, and if you don't have a metarule against it, you can (ab)use the full (all three words) Aura Whisper shout. It'll show you the spawn buried in the ground beneath their spawn-piles, and IIRC if you can manage to attack that spot without activating them they'll still take damage. Cloak spells would also help with your DPS, especially if you can get some in scroll form. Additionally, if you've done the quest for Spellbreaker it is absolutely amazing for mages. Granted, you can't double-cast while using it, but you get a 50pt anti-magic ward that doesn't drain your magicka and which resets to full strength every time you raise the shield.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: July 24, 2013, 07:48:25 pm »

Runes are one of the best ways I've found to take care of 'hidden' enemies like Draugr in their coffins and the like. If the ground in front of you and that spawn pile isn't covered in runes, you're doing it wrong.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: July 24, 2013, 07:52:31 pm »

Heh, my characters somehow invariably end up as sneaky-sneak types, so a lot of times I'll go through a whole dungeon without activating (and often without even noticing) most of the enemies, and then trigger them all when I run back out after beating the boss.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: July 24, 2013, 08:11:28 pm »

Really? I tend to play "WUT IS MAGIC" warriors.

Dual wielding a Daedric Dagger (Flawless) and an enchanted Ebony Sword (Legendary) + 14 points shock damage, @ level 41 with Dual Flurry and Armsman 4/5, very little can stand up to my hits.

Dual Flurry + Elemental Fury, even the first word alone, makes for ridiculously fast hits. If I do the dual wield power attack (hold m1 and m2), most enemies are already down to <50% from that alone. Best thing is 30% crit chance from the sword wielding perk too; with the dual wield power attack you have a 90% chance to crit once.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: July 24, 2013, 08:46:10 pm »

Ah, I typically roll with Dawnbreaker + Mehrune's Razor for the rare instances of straight combat, the Razor for all of the backstabbing, and the best bow I have enchanted with a 1sec. Soul Trap on it. That last is absolutely critical: I have piles of full soul gems that I never use because of the Black Star, and because the bow can go for hours of play before I even notice a dent in the charge meter. Hell, it's pretty rare for me to engage anything but close-quarters bosses in melee anyways, given how easy it is to sneak-snipe through the game. It's a bad habit that I can't seem to break. Heh, I even fought those three-for-one ghost nord bosses (the ones that teleport around that tiny, steep-walled room) with nothing but my bow.

My smithing quality modifiers are a bit lower, though, because I play with ACE and it nerfs that pretty hard, enough to drop them a level or two, which isn't helped by the fact that is also heavily nerfs the strength of smithing+ and enchanting+ enchantments.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: July 24, 2013, 08:55:56 pm »

Ah, I typically roll with Dawnbreaker + Mehrune's Razor for the rare instances of straight combat, the Razor for all of the backstabbing, and the best bow I have enchanted with a 1sec. Soul Trap on it. That last is absolutely critical: I have piles of full soul gems that I never use because of the Black Star, and because the bow can go for hours of play before I even notice a dent in the charge meter. Hell, it's pretty rare for me to engage anything but close-quarters bosses in melee anyways, given how easy it is to sneak-snipe through the game. It's a bad habit that I can't seem to break. Heh, I even fought those three-for-one ghost nord bosses (the ones that teleport around that tiny, steep-walled room) with nothing but my bow.

My smithing quality modifiers are a bit lower, though, because I play with ACE and it nerfs that pretty hard, enough to drop them a level or two, which isn't helped by the fact that is also heavily nerfs the strength of smithing+ and enchanting+ enchantments.

I'm not a fan of Dawnbreaker - it's too weak for me atm. I think it's because I did Meridia's quest too early - Dawnbreaker deals 47 damage after improvements, where my Ebony Sword does 62 and the Daedric Dagger (Flawless) does 57.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: July 24, 2013, 10:18:57 pm »

You've also got to account for the extra fire damage, too, as well as the explosions with undead, which helps immensely considering that something like 50% of the enemies in the game are undead. That, and it looks really cool.  :P

I can see your approach, though, especially if you bothered getting Elemental Fury. I never seem to use it because I like piling on the enchantments, and because pretty much every fight I have is either a 1HKO without being detected or me running away while tossing runes and arrows over my shoulders.

3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: July 24, 2013, 10:20:24 pm »

I LOVE massive chain reactions against Draugr swarms :D
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23:59 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I do use Dawnbreaker, I just prefer not to use it against anything not undead.

Also, seriously, taking requests for a modded companion - first person to comment gets to name it, gender, race, whether it's a Dragonborn or not, and what class archetype it fits.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9144 on: July 24, 2013, 10:35:15 pm »

Bernie Thunderpunch, Nord, Male, knows Unrelenting Force, uses super-unarmed punching gloves.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: July 24, 2013, 10:43:01 pm »

Bernie Thunderpunch, Nord, Male, knows Unrelenting Force, uses super-unarmed punching gloves.

I'm on it. Expect to see Bernie in a few hours. (Juggernaut 5/5, Fists of Steel). Bear in mind he'll use FUS RO DAH at every opportunity every 40 seconds regardless of whether you're in its line of fire or not.

Incidentally, that leads to some hilarious things if you get a Greybeard pissed off, they attack you, then start aggroing each other because of the collateral damage. Old men freezing or knocking each other down never gets old.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: July 24, 2013, 11:56:32 pm »

Bernie is finished. He's set to prefer meleeing unarmed above everything else, and can use Fus Ro Dah every ten seconds or so.

Perks:
Juggernaut 5/5 (80% improvement in Armor Rating for Heavy Armor)
Fists of Steel (50% of gauntlet's armor rating is added to unarmed damage)
Matching Set (Heavy) (If wearing all same set, armor rating increased)
AllowShouting (he can use Shouts)

Testing currently.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: July 25, 2013, 12:27:27 am »

Bernie is finished. He's set to prefer meleeing unarmed above everything else, and can use Fus Ro Dah every ten seconds or so.

Perks:
Juggernaut 5/5 (80% improvement in Armor Rating for Heavy Armor)
Fists of Steel (50% of gauntlet's armor rating is added to unarmed damage)
Matching Set (Heavy) (If wearing all same set, armor rating increased)
AllowShouting (he can use Shouts)

Testing currently.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to set CurrentFollowerFaction to -1 so he just sits in the tavern. Good to see his punches do hurt (though not terribly much) and his Fus Ro Dah is damn powerful. Images incoming. Found in the Frozen Hearth in Winterhold.

This is what happens when you piss him off.

Pissed off after I hit him a few times, with Nelacar's help.

Features included:

He punches!
He FUS RO DAH's voicelessly!
He is able to be married!
He punches harder!
He is found in The Frozen Hearth in Winterhold, and can be recruited the moment you see him for free (as a kludge to prevent me having to write an entire quest for him)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: July 25, 2013, 12:35:29 am »

Haha! Wonderful!

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: July 25, 2013, 01:13:43 am »

After this whole conversation on Skyrim mods, I've decided to return... to Morrowind. I still have that 60GB Data Files folder stashed away somewhere on my D Drive.

Now, to ready myself for a life of living outside the yoke of Dunmer society as an Argonian spear fisherman, exploring coastal caverns and diving for treasure!

The best part is going to be the lack of respawning enemies and loot. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 896