Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1604630 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8805 on: April 22, 2013, 12:46:21 am »

It's probably both: a play on words, in a reality-bending language. Very potent, that.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: April 22, 2013, 12:49:00 am »

And dualities seem a very important part of the Dovahkiin's involvement with the story, having both the blessing of Akatosh and Shor.

Of course, the two are kinda both aspects of Akatosh/Auri-El/Lorkhan/Shezarr, but oh well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8807 on: April 22, 2013, 12:56:58 am »

It's an interesting duality, and I would argue against the Dovahkiin being born with a dragon soul. The fact that our rapid learning of Words is possible specifically because of the dragon souls we absorb seems to indicate that we aren't naturally capable of learning them through direct observation of their being (as we have a human soul), but we are capable of fusing a shard of a dragon's soul to our own and utilizing that to learn a Word. If Dovahkiin was born with a dragon's soul, they wouldn't need to kill dragons to learn shouts; they could just wander around finding Word walls and that would be that. Apart from the whole dragon pest control aspect of the destiny/job.

That actually brings up an interesting point, lore-wise: Over the long term, would absorbing draconic souls cause Dovahkiin to become increasingly draconic in nature? If the fusion works well enough to allow the Dovahkiin to effortlessly learn dragon speech-magic, it would probably also transfer elements of the worldview, beliefs, and imperatives of the dragons absorbed in that fashion.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8808 on: April 22, 2013, 01:46:23 am »

Actually, it's explicitly stated the Dragons can absorb each other's power the way you do, and that they need to practice their thu'um to strengthen it. Individually, each of them has hundreds or thousands of years of experience with the meaning of each thu'um, and theoretically you could become as powerful by spending a long time building your understanding (and thus strength) in each thu'um like the greybeards do without killing dragons. It's much faster to just take what they know, though.

As for absorbing changing the absorber, well, I'd argue it doesn't. Probably, powerful and high-ranked dragons have devoured plenty of their kin but not changed their nature much, if at all. Then again, as the Dovahkiin is already very draconic in nature (strongly inclined to power and leadership/ruling/mastery), any changes might not have much effect. However, it is explicitly stated that fully understanding the meaning of a thu'um involves changing oneself to reflect its meaning, so every thu'um you learn changes your beliefs and worldview a bit.

Absorbing hundreds of dragons' souls might not change your mind much, but Unrelenting Force makes you resist the world more and Dragonrend makes you fully aware and understanding of your own mortality (as well as making you more hateful).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: April 22, 2013, 03:21:34 am »

Remember that the "Dragon Blood" thing with the Amulet wasn't literal either. The original Septim was childless and the dynasty and current (in Oblivion, I mean) line stems from his brother. It's not about blood or heritage, it's about being the right kind of person.
Love, scriver~

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: April 22, 2013, 03:43:17 am »

Remember that the "Dragon Blood" thing with the Amulet wasn't literal either. The original Septim was childless and the dynasty and current (in Oblivion, I mean) line stems from his brother. It's not about blood or heritage, it's about being the right kind of person.
Oblivion notes state that all of the Septim line did have dragon blood but were not dragonborn as Tiber was.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8811 on: April 22, 2013, 04:23:39 am »

What I found while searching for Skyrim Japanese Mod:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And Skyrim Dance Mods are seriously funny:

http://youtu.be/P2QL2iw_Gqc
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: April 22, 2013, 04:59:04 am »

In Europe? Sorry, but I'm pretty sure it's only really popular in Japan. Europe and here, it edges uncomfortably close to pedo territory, though that doesn't stop internet japanophiles from following it. Mainly it's considered another "weird Japanese thing."
I dunno, I just hear what my friend in the Netherlands tells me. He said he has been to anime conventions and he saw lots of loli stuff there. So, I assume its popular there. Or maybe that is the Netherlands. Or just the people that go to those kind of things. In any case, he has been to several and they always have loli stuff.

Basically what Hugo wrote. It doesn't help that the whole name comes from the book "Lolita", which is about a pedophile and his step-daughter who he abuses.

That said, certain branches of the European Goth scene share kind of similar clothing style as parts of the Lolita thing (the whole Goth-Romantic theme). Without wanting to appear as children, that is.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8813 on: April 22, 2013, 09:35:52 am »

Actually, it's explicitly stated the Dragons can absorb each other's power the way you do, and that they need to practice their thu'um to strengthen it. Individually, each of them has hundreds or thousands of years of experience with the meaning of each thu'um, and theoretically you could become as powerful by spending a long time building your understanding (and thus strength) in each thu'um like the greybeards do without killing dragons. It's much faster to just take what they know, though.
To further support this, it has been shown that dragonborn can absorb the souls of other dragonborn as well. The whole plot of Dragonborn (the DLC) is that Miraak wants to devour your soul.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8814 on: April 22, 2013, 12:06:41 pm »

My favorite controversy is if it's Dovah Kiin (Dragon Born) or Dov Ah Kiin (Dragon Hunter Child). The former is... well, Dragonborn, while the latter is more "born to kill dragons".

Enter: The Blades
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8815 on: May 05, 2013, 11:11:13 am »

Has anyone tried an ironman playthrough? The idea is, you can't load anything unless the game legitimately crashes. You can save, but if you die, you die.

OK, you know what? I'm looking at the history, and I just hate the fact that we were forced to play the game during the boring old Rebellion up in Skyrim, instead of, say, the succession of the Black Marsh, or maybe even this:

...Ten years after the[ collapse of the ministry and black marsh succession] the Potentate Ocato was murdered by Thalmor assassins. His death caused a brutal power struggle and fractured the Elder Council, which was named the Stormcrown Interregnum.

THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO PLAY!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:20:55 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8816 on: May 05, 2013, 12:37:03 pm »

Has anyone tried an ironman playthrough? The idea is, you can't load anything unless the game legitimately crashes. You can save, but if you die, you die.

OK, you know what? I'm looking at the history, and I just hate the fact that we were forced to play the game during the boring old Rebellion up in Skyrim, instead of, say, the succession of the Black Marsh, or maybe even this:

...Ten years after the[ collapse of the ministry and black marsh succession] the Potentate Ocato was murdered by Thalmor assassins. His death caused a brutal power struggle and fractured the Elder Council, which was named the Stormcrown Interregnum.

THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO PLAY!

Well, I for one am bored with all these damned "interregnums," and would prefer a fresh setting... say, during a time period when the local empire has the upper hand and has, say, launched an invasive campaign against the antagonists- or better yet- an expedition.

Roll on, Akavir?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: May 08, 2013, 04:39:38 pm »

Can I get a list of recommended mods to make the game far more challenging and realistic them it currently is. I am going to be playing as a thrifty so keep that in mind. No need for heavy armor mods or anything. Also any mods that would make the game more enjoyable graphics or gameplay wise.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8818 on: May 08, 2013, 04:46:24 pm »

Recommended mod list is requested like once every few pages. We should really just make one and stick it in the OP.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: May 08, 2013, 05:25:16 pm »

Well, everyone of us has its own recommended mods list. :P

I'm currently playing a merchant/mage, and I'm primarily using T3nd0s Skyrim Redone (aka SkyRe; major overhaul mod) and Amazing Follower Tweaks (you can have more followers) to "roleplay" my character.

E: Screenshot time!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:15:15 am by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 896