Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1598036 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #7350 on: November 04, 2012, 07:21:20 am »

That was mostly just a joke and a chance to show off my amazing modern graphics, look at those sexy models, they almost have detail! :D
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7351 on: November 04, 2012, 07:23:10 am »

Y'know, even today it doesn't look that bad.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: November 04, 2012, 07:24:47 am »

Yeah, the game in its entirety has aged amazingly well.
My cabbages!

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: November 04, 2012, 08:51:57 am »

Agreed, one can get that nostalgic response from playing the earlier interations and the series holds up better then others that still make games today like back then...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: November 04, 2012, 08:53:51 am »

It's not nostalgia though, it's genuinely fun to play, plenty of shit games are good because of nostalgia, but I'd feel comfortable introducing someone who'd never played a game that old to Daggerfall and assuming they'd enjoy it.
My cabbages!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: November 04, 2012, 09:54:33 am »

skyrim bows seem balanced towards op (as opposed to Oblivion); the mods I have do not help. 

I thought Morrowind bows were actually well balanced.  Yea you had to aim at their legs, and aiming downhill at a moving target was guesstimation, but damagewise very satisfying.   Also miss all the extra items that had no point, and freedom to customize.

Id almost take morrowwind combat to get the game's feeling back.  I once played a pure mage; got my ass beat by a scrib.  Lvling up that dagger felt good.  Remeber when alteration/illusion didn't suck so hard?

I played daggerfall, but morrowwind was my first, and you never forget the first.

edit:  p.s. Bethsuda, stop making high level light medium and heavy armor equivalent at high levels.  Why do I, a heavy fan, bother taking the encumbrance penalty if at level 80 some thief gets the same armor bonus.  Even extra speed?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:01:06 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: November 04, 2012, 10:02:23 am »

There probably is a mod to nerf light/buff heavy out there. I dont think it would be hard to do it yourself.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: November 04, 2012, 02:15:38 pm »

I really miss medium armor, no idea why it had to die, I wish it could come back, my favorite spaulders were medium, Her Hand's.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: November 04, 2012, 02:19:34 pm »

I really miss medium armor, no idea why it had to die, I wish it could come back, my favorite spaulders were medium, Her Hand's.

Simple, they wanted to make everything nice, streamlined, and cakewalk easy for the "casuals" so speak.
In short, RPG games tend to lose complexity and depth the more popular a series becomes, just compare Daggerfall to Morrowwind to Oblivion to Skyrim to see what I mean.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #7359 on: November 04, 2012, 02:29:02 pm »

Actually the design decision for Medium Armour going does make sense. Medium Armour doesn't provide the stealth benefits of Light Armour, nor the Defence Benefits of Heavy Armour. As such, it was often a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" item that didn't really "fit" any play styles.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: November 04, 2012, 02:37:33 pm »

Actually the design decision for Medium Armour going does make sense. Medium Armour doesn't provide the stealth benefits of Light Armour, nor the Defence Benefits of Heavy Armour. As such, it was often a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" item that didn't really "fit" any play styles.

Not to mention that the best Medium had less protection than the best Heavy or Light.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: November 04, 2012, 02:52:17 pm »

Many medium armors looked like one kind or the other, too. Bonemold, because of sheer bulkiness, looked like it ought to be heavy anyway.

Anyway, do you have any screenshots of Daggerfall's most excellent climbing skill in action? The one thing that gets me to keep coming back to that game is shooting arrows into walls then climbing them :D

I would say that between Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim the amount of pointless clutter items has remained constant, it's just that they've decreased in value (no more 720g limeware platter!)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: November 04, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »

And as a werewolf, you could make your best Hulk impersonation by jumping from roof to roof :D

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: November 04, 2012, 05:03:38 pm »

I never really played as a werewolf beyond the quests, and I've yet to play one in skyrim, or a vampire for that matter but thats mostly because not been able to get ahold of dawnguard for the quests.

Just watched Hulk... strange.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: November 04, 2012, 09:33:01 pm »

I think the appeal of medium armor in Morrowind has less to do with it being optimal, and more to do with aesthetics. I felt like heavy armor was more the province of Imperial shock troops, whereas Orcs, Dunmer and Khajiit (the latter two I preferred to play) were more inclined to medium armors when they did march to war (there was even a lore book about Khajiiti preferring the maneuverability of medium armor).

Outside of lore factors, I think efficiency and raw armor (medium being worse than heavy or light when the best armor in the game is compared) matter very little in a game where an experienced played can drop into Caldera five minutes into the game, get a free set of orc armor and sell all the Seyda Neen loot to the Scamp, before picking up a dwemer jink sword and becoming effectively unstoppable until level 20 or so (assuming you adjust the difficulty slider as you level, as you should). Morrowind was the sort of game where I felt comfortable wearing nothing but regular (albeit high quality) clothing, enchanted with various useful escape/maneuverability tricks, and still getting through all the quests. Armor was strictly a choice, and that was how I liked it.

Skyrim made it so I can't play a khajiiti monk who refuses all armor, or a Dunmer assassin, who dressed like his noble station permits, so yeah, I miss the customizability too. Maybe if the mmo flops, the next project will return to the olden ways or frivolous detail. 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 896