Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1598695 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #7140 on: October 18, 2012, 06:52:44 pm »

With the complex setting on, you must also worry about things like food poisoning from raw meat, alcohol poisoning, balanced intake of protein and nutrients, mental/physical fatigue, etc.

Damn, how can you survive in that?? I have trouble keeping me properly nutritioned in RL.
I do a lot of hunting, I keep a stock of food in my home and each time I go out I make sure I have food on me, I pick up free wine/mead/etc and any free food I find. Sometimes it gets pretty dire though, because for example if you are not getting enough protein for example your carrying capacity will go down. There is a whole host of small effects for things like malnutrition, protein deficiency, alcohol (lowers your crafting skills but raises speech when you're tipsy, lowers all skills when you're piss drunk), even effects from caffeine.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: October 18, 2012, 10:53:08 pm »

But does it allow for changes in physiology for vampires or werewolves? Do werewolves get nutrition from people they eat while transformed? Also, I'd imagine that mages (especially restoration experts) would have ways to supplement their bodily health.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: October 18, 2012, 11:44:47 pm »

But does it allow for changes in physiology for vampires or werewolves? Do werewolves get nutrition from people they eat while transformed? Also, I'd imagine that mages (especially restoration experts) would have ways to supplement their bodily health.

The mod doesn't compensate for vampires or werewolves, and once you start the Dawnguard quests it stops working entirely (did for me anyway). The author has been MIA since March so I'm not sure if it'll ever see updates. I'm still trying to find a worthy replacement... so far I haven't found any food & drink mods that are anywhere near as detailed. it definitely adds more depth to the game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7143 on: October 19, 2012, 04:04:10 am »

Imp's More Complex Needs does allow for vampires, and tracks your blood level. Blood is the only nutrition you need as a vampire, I believe. I haven't played much as a vampire though.

Magic spells heal you but they do not supplement your nutrition or anything. You cannot 'cure' malnutrition. You may be able to cure alcohol poisoning, I'm not sure.

I've never tried it with a werewolf but I don't recall any vanilla way to 'eat' people as a werewolf. The mod works within the vanilla game's framework, it doesn't add new ways to eat. It does add some new recipes, like dried meat which never spoils, but nothing major like new werewolf-people-eating systems.

The mod doesn't compensate for vampires or werewolves, and once you start the Dawnguard quests it stops working entirely (did for me anyway). The author has been MIA since March so I'm not sure if it'll ever see updates. I'm still trying to find a worthy replacement... so far I haven't found any food & drink mods that are anywhere near as detailed. it definitely adds more depth to the game.
Are we using the same mod? There is a Dawnguard and a Hearthfire compatibility patch, and the mod works fine without them even when playing dawnguard/hearthfire. All the patches do is add in the new foods to the system.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7144 on: October 19, 2012, 09:05:14 am »

Imp's More Complex Needs does allow for vampires, and tracks your blood level. Blood is the only nutrition you need as a vampire, I believe. I haven't played much as a vampire though.

Magic spells heal you but they do not supplement your nutrition or anything. You cannot 'cure' malnutrition. You may be able to cure alcohol poisoning, I'm not sure.

I've never tried it with a werewolf but I don't recall any vanilla way to 'eat' people as a werewolf. The mod works within the vanilla game's framework, it doesn't add new ways to eat. It does add some new recipes, like dried meat which never spoils, but nothing major like new werewolf-people-eating systems.

You can feed on corpses as a werewolf, it's the way you extend your transformation time.

Quote from: Wiki
After becoming a werewolf, you possess the Greater Power Beast Form, which lets you transform into a werewolf at will. Like other greater powers, this effect can only be used once per day (although the Ring of Hircine provides an alternate unlimited means of transformation). Once transformed, you are in werewolf form for 150 seconds. You can keep Beast Form active longer by feeding on humanoid corpses. Doing so restores 50 points of health and adds an additional 30 seconds of time in Beast Form.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7145 on: October 19, 2012, 09:18:56 am »

Oh... well that shows you how much I've played as a werewolf. (none at all, beyond the first time I did the companions quest line and never again have I touched that line)

So I have no idea if it takes werewolf corpse eating into account. If it does, you'd probably get quite a lot of protein. I do know the werewolf disease immunity makes you immune to food poisoning from eating raw food, so that is a plus.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: October 19, 2012, 08:01:01 pm »

Not so much curing as getting energy from an alternate source. I've read a few ingame books that mentioned very talented mages learning to subsist on Magicka alone.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7147 on: October 20, 2012, 08:43:10 am »

Not so much curing as getting energy from an alternate source. I've read a few ingame books that mentioned very talented mages learning to subsist on Magicka alone.
I was just talking about the mod, not the lore behind the spell. Sorry for any confusion.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: October 20, 2012, 07:24:00 pm »

Are we using the same mod? There is a Dawnguard and a Hearthfire compatibility patch, and the mod works fine without them even when playing dawnguard/hearthfire. All the patches do is add in the new foods to the system.

Oops, yeah you're right. There are patches out now, separate mods and not released by the actual author so I overlooked them. I've been using the base version which definitely doesn't work. Yaay I missed IMCN! :D With that and Frostfall the game is a lot more fun.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: October 20, 2012, 09:22:38 pm »

Not really related to any topic going on, but I feel it should be mentioned for record sake.

I've had this strange feeling for a while that the fangs on my Khajiit vampire were off. They looked a bit like two toothpicks sticking diagonally from the top jaw. Turns out that the orientation of the fangs are tied to the shape of the upper mouth, so I was able to turn them vertically by using showracemenu and changing the shape of the mouth.

This shows the issue, but it's not a picture of my character. It's also far more pronounced than it was for me.
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4718/badfangs.jpg
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: October 20, 2012, 10:48:51 pm »

Don't pay too much attention to Bethesda's graphical work. It tends to be a bit... shoddy if you get too close.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: October 23, 2012, 06:01:30 am »

So I have the next two days off of work.  I'm burning out hard and need to take some time out and play some games.  I think I'm finally going to get around to doing a real playthrough of Skyrim.

Looking through mods... there are soooo damn many!  I have an idea what core stuff I want to try, but it seems like I could easily throw together over 100 mods and waste a ton of time just figuring out what works together.

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: October 23, 2012, 06:11:18 am »

This looks neat - Adjusts shopkeeper inventories and prices based on the region of Skyrim they're in. So you pay less coin for products which can be sourced locally, and more for those that need to be imported.

Anyone know of any mods that make the world continue moving while you read? I'd like my character to not read an entire book in a fraction of a millisecond.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:18:10 am by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7153 on: October 23, 2012, 06:26:57 am »

Suggested mods:

Artifact Disenchanting
SMIM
Quality World Map with Roads
W.A.T.E.R.
Imps More Complex Needs (also has patches for the DLC if you have them, search 'complex needs' on skyrim nexus) (used in my realism/survival playthough)
SkyRE
Cloaks of Skyrim
Winter is Coming (used in my realism/survival playthough)
Frostfall (used in my realism/survival playthough)
Bandoliers, bags and pouches (though I use a version with much reduced carrying capacity in my realism/survival playthough)
Realistic Wildlife Loot And Recipes
Wearable Lanterns
RP Chopping and Mining (used in my realism/survival playthough, works well with complex needs)
SkyUI Much better UI for Skyrim. I couldn't play without this.

That is a few of the major mods I use.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: October 23, 2012, 06:45:38 am »

* The Darkling Wolf bookmarks everything.

I'm getting a new PC soon, so I'll be needing mods.
Are there any that make the economy less meh? I'd quite like something that heavily nixes the amount of gold you can sell things for, and severely boosts the amount things cost. So that raiding a single cave doesn't set you up with a full suit of god tier armour, I aspire to leave my adventuring career behind and set up a small farm near Whiterun, visiting the market on sundays to buy a fresh jug of honey and some bread.
My cabbages!

Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 896