Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1599137 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #7005 on: October 05, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »

Back to Skyrim, being a pirate on the kind of rivers Skyrim have is kinda difficult still. Even if you ignore nearly all of them being at most waist deeps save a few points along them as a game abstraction, the mountainous nature of skyrim make their rivers pretty much unnavigable, which both hinder pirates and take away any shipping the pirates might have tried to, well, pirate.  :P
River pirate. There's nothing that says they need to have a boat... So just relocate those mountain bandits to a river and give them a crash course in scurvytalk.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: October 05, 2012, 04:53:39 pm »

Oh and IO forgot to ask, as I intended in my pevious post.
Anyone know of any Hearthfire and dawnguard friendly mods?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: October 05, 2012, 05:29:20 pm »

Anyone know of any Hearthfire and dawnguard friendly mods?
Haven't played skyrim since before those came out... but isnt hearthfire a house mod basically? if that's so it should not conflict with anything that is not in the same area and post modders would probably add a note if it is dawnguard compatible or not.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: October 05, 2012, 06:00:04 pm »

What makes Hearthfire worth it if it's just a house though?

It must be a seriously fucking AWESOME house then. With a basement full of Sharks, with lazerbeams. And an aviary; for PTERODACTYLS. AND PARROTS. And an Armory, with a demon armsmaster. And a butler, but not just any humdrum butler. Batman is your butler. Not Batmans butler, Batman IS your butler. Ooh, and a meadery forged from skyforge steel. Because why not. And a Thieves guild hideout. And it's a castle, with 250 bedrooms. And the statues move.

And the fridge is always stocked with milk.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: October 05, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »

It allows you to choose one of three spots.
And then you can build a house from scratch, and customize it I think?
Then again, it's already been done by a modder.

Anywho, what I waste my hard earned money on should be of noone's concern but my own.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: October 05, 2012, 06:14:18 pm »

I think it was a customizable house that you built yourself part by part or something...
Your opinion of DLC is too high. There's a lot of DLCs that have less content than that =P

-Ninjaed-
Right. a modder did that and i think i heard that beth used that as inspiration.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: October 05, 2012, 06:16:45 pm »

I think it was a customizable house that you built yourself part by part or something...
Your opinion of DLC is too high. There's a lot of DLCs that have less content than that =P

-Ninjaed-
Right. a modder did that and i think i heard that beth used that as inspiration.

At least they didn't release a Horse Armor DLC for skyrim.  :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: October 05, 2012, 06:19:09 pm »

It adds fully animated baking, including most sensible ingredients, adoption of children if you want to get them out of that shithole in Riften, a use for all that excess iron you've accumulated since mastering smithing, and apparently if you married Camilla Valerius she now gets kidnapped by Sven.

It does change up leveled lists and NPC dialogue quite a bit, so it could actually have incompatibilities with several mods outside the home-building scope.

As for the quality of the house, it's pretty good, on par with all but the very best of house mods in terms of balance, aesthetic, and choice. It's a little lacking in the choice department compared to, say, "Tundra Defense", but pretty much offers exactly the same amount of choice as "Build your Own House." If you want storage space, you'll get plenty, including a basement full of many, many safes. You could also build a full temple of the divines in your basement, and a fully equipped forge area (finally!), all without compromising. Unfortunately, though there are 9 wing options total, these are divided between N E and W wings, meaning you cannot mix'n'match exactly what you want: Kitchen and armory are mutually exclusive. You can still choose decoration style of the room and the style of many individual pieces of furniture, but you can't change layout or position of furniture.

Is it worth it? I'd say it is, since the framework it adds for houses/adoption could be expanded upon by modders to make something neither Bethesda DLC nor mods based on vanilla could do alone. Instead of building from scratch, modders could fix the shortcomings of Hearthfire and expand upon it. I'm expecting someone will do a Hearthfire overhaul that will make it truly amazing. If you're on the Xbox, this is probably the best you're going to get, homes potentially added by future DLC nonwithstanding.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: October 05, 2012, 06:21:24 pm »

Oops double post. Anyway, thought I'd write a little review.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7014 on: October 05, 2012, 06:24:25 pm »

What makes Hearthfire worth it if it's just a house though?

It must be a seriously fucking AWESOME house then. With a basement full of Sharks, with lazerbeams. And an aviary; for PTERODACTYLS. AND PARROTS. And an Armory, with a demon armsmaster. And a butler, but not just any humdrum butler. Batman is your butler. Not Batmans butler, Batman IS your butler. Ooh, and a meadery forged from skyforge steel. Because why not. And a Thieves guild hideout. And it's a castle, with 250 bedrooms. And the statues move.

And the fridge is always stocked with milk.
People pay $5 for stupid ingame hats and weapons, what's wrong with paying for an ingame house?

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: October 05, 2012, 06:28:15 pm »

GamersGate and GreenManGaming are offering Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC for $42 now. Worth it?

Any other DLCs coming out other than Heahtfire?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:32:38 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: October 05, 2012, 06:42:10 pm »

Just my two cents on the whole piracy issue in Skyrim. It seems Skyrim's main industry is logging which does lend itself to transport along rivers on barges. Of course then the only thing you can pirate are logs on barges. Most rivers seem to have a long enough navigable stretch for this to be worth the effort on the loggers' part and the rivers are shallow enough that a group could hang out on the shore and run up to the barge but then you just have a barge full of logs.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: October 05, 2012, 07:05:29 pm »

Common method was to just dump the logs in the river and fish em out downstream...
Now this has made me imagine ragged norse bandits, riding on logs in knee deep rivers shouting Yarr.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: October 05, 2012, 07:12:49 pm »

Common method was to just dump the logs in the river and fish em out downstream...
Now this has made me imagine ragged norse bandits, riding on logs in knee deep rivers shouting Yarr.

WANT

I didn't mean a completely serious, Frostfall-realism pirate mod, but VIKING PIRRRRRRRRRRRRATES! DRINK YE YE MEADRUM

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: October 05, 2012, 07:24:46 pm »

Strange pirates are generally considered the 'yarr' type, when there have been pirates from nearly every country that has any access to water or something moving nearby that can be resold or has value to be stolen...

Also Chaurus look like Hulking Fabricant... I found a mod about the clockwork city, but I've not been there yet, I hope. In adition to the 120 other mods I got...

Logs falling downstream ingame pirates would be crazy to try and steal those.
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 896