Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1602092 times)

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #6345 on: June 21, 2012, 07:00:15 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:47:40 pm by Bronimin »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: June 21, 2012, 11:44:11 pm »

Hmmmm...

I have gotten back most of my Mods plus some more. Something odd happened though when I entered the Whiterun Inn. That Warrior Woman that you fight in Fistycuffs for a few gold got up and attacked me for no reason at all... Very interesting how that happened...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: June 24, 2012, 09:39:54 am »

I've been trying to play Skyrim for three days now. ERROR FUCKING 51.

I've tried EVERYTHING! I installed the latest drivers, I deleted EVERY SKYRIM RELATED FILE ON MY COMPUTER TWICE and reinstalled Skyrim fresh, but STILL ERROR 51.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this? The steam forums were extremely unhelpful.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: June 24, 2012, 09:55:53 am »

Easiest solution: Play the XBox 360 version instead.

If you're set on the PC version:
They should give detailed error messages, not numbers. Oh well.
Re-install, and let steam patch Skyrim. You did buy it, yes? If not, it's your own fault. :P
DO NOT INSTALL A 4GB PATCH. IF YOU DO, YOU WILL BREAK IT. If you did, that was why you got error 51.
(Bethesda implemented their own and built it into one of their patches, and trying to install another of your own is ill-advised and has been known to cause this error)

If you are still getting errors after that, what anti-virus are you using? (Some have, in the past, caused issues by blocking steam's patching or decrypting, or worse - avast was particularly irritating as it sandboxed every steam game I got in addition to breaking patching and decrypting pre-orders for a month or more, and I eventually dumped it)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:58:07 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: June 24, 2012, 10:01:10 am »

1: PC version has mods, which I am dead set on using. I also really don't want to have to buy Skyrim again for another console.
2: It literally just says and I quite "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim failed to start (error code 51)."
3: Tried twice, did not work.
4: I didn't install that patch.
5: Malware Bytes, and it's never caused problems before. The problems only started with the latest patch.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: June 24, 2012, 10:04:37 am »

Easiest solution: Play the XBox 360 version instead.
That is not a solution, it's an inferior replacement.

Maybe this helps?
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2241593

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: June 24, 2012, 10:14:14 am »

The only thing there that I haven't tried is "The troubleshoot thing", and I have no idea what "troubleshoot thing" they mean.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: June 24, 2012, 10:22:35 am »

I actually enjoyed the XBox version more than the PC version (having gotten the PC version first and played it on and off for several months immediately after release, dealing with random crashes, then installing a 4 gb patch to fix them, then dealing with the patches requiring installing new 4 gb patches, then having it become unplayable due to new patches, and patches making the 4gb patch unusable for several weeks until a new one was released, and eventually they released one which included its own, but by then I had quit playing)

Later I got the XBox version and hey - no crashes, no issues at all, worked perfectly. And it's not like I found any good mods for the PC version anyways. The only issue is that it actually has loading screens.

"The troubleshoot thing?" Not sure how that would be useful. They probably mean having steam verify the integrity of the game's cache? But if you just reinstalled it I'm not sure why it would be bad. It can't hurt to try, though. You have to go to the game library, right click the game, hit properties, go to the 'local files' tab, and hit verify integrity of game cache. (They could mean something else, who knows.)

(I haven't had any issues with the latest patch, but then I was playing it on the XBox)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: June 24, 2012, 10:38:34 am »

And it's not like I found any good mods for the PC version anyways.
Try SkyRe, made the game actually interesting

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: June 24, 2012, 10:48:01 am »

Welp, I've finallt exhausted all options. Time to reinstall Windows 7 to see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'll just pirate Skyrim to play it without Steam dicking me over. You know things are bad when you're forced to pirate the game you payed for.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: June 24, 2012, 11:13:45 am »

Eh, I've already done basically everything I care to do.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6356 on: June 24, 2012, 11:18:03 am »

Eh, I've already done basically everything I care to do.

Hehehe... you're amusing.

"PC version is lame. It crashes and stuff."

"Well it has mods!"

"I never found any good mods so it still sucks."

"Here is a good mod you could try..."

"Meh, I'm done with the game so it doesn't matter that there are good mods. PC sux!"

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: June 24, 2012, 11:28:41 am »

>Right, try to run from disk directly and if that doesn't work I give up
>It works perfectly
>I spent the last three days stressing madly over a problem I could have solved with a single click and two presses of my disk drive button.
>Hit play button for final time, ready to start game
>Gives Error Code 51 instead of starting it properly
>
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: June 24, 2012, 11:38:17 am »

"Here is a good mod you could try..."

"Meh, I'm done with the game so it doesn't matter that there are good mods. PC sux!"

I scrolled halfway through the list of changes, it mostly looked like rebalancing.

If there was anything that made the quests not 'meh' then I'd be all 'PC skyrim rox' - but what are the odds? They'd need new voice acting, etc. Far too much work for modders to do for free. Well, no, there was The Nameless Mod, but that took an incredible number of years (but was awesome).

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: June 24, 2012, 11:40:27 am »

FUCK YES! IT WORKS!
I did nothing different, I just kept telling it to start and eventually it did. YES!

EDIT: Hmm, it works about 50% of the time I try it now,
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:43:30 am by Supercharazad »
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 896