Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1599888 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5715 on: March 26, 2012, 06:18:02 pm »

At least Bethesda don't try and sell you the game ending as DLC
*Hugs*

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: March 26, 2012, 06:22:45 pm »

HA, good point lol.

oh god, the first day DLC scam... anyone else notice this one?
day 1, game releases.
day 2, a entire expansion pack that adds tons of content and would take months to make is released for 15-30$ (primarily RPGs and single player games)
day 6, map pack for 15-20$ (CoD anyone?)
day 17, map pack for 15-20$(no really, this is what they did with CoD just about.)

and the worst part is the DLC slowly becomes required to play the game online, forcing you to shell out what you payed for the game again on the 4-5 map packs that came out in a couple of months.

EDIT: the 'scam' part come from the fact that this content is guaranteed to be nearly finished/finished day of release, and was excluded for specifically this purpose. or, it took a short time/little effort to make and could have been tossed into the main game anyways.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:24:16 pm by bombzero »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: March 26, 2012, 07:11:20 pm »

Do you know the free texture pack Bethesda released?

Next time, they will release all of the animations, textures and meshes as a DLC. For only 9.99$ each! What a bargain! It is a limited offer so don't miss it. If you miss it you'll play with ASCII graphics.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: March 26, 2012, 07:35:41 pm »

I actually did an unarmed character for fun. Surprisingly enough, if you sneak and put on deadric gloves that are enchanted, you can punch out just about anything, including dragons if you abuse stealth. Makes for some hilarious kills.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: March 26, 2012, 07:39:06 pm »

yes... for skyrim... you pay any attention to when fallout NV's DLC packs were released? i can't see them having written them from release day of the game to release day of the pack.

anyways Bethesda is one of the minor offenders who happened to fall onto the list for a few scattered instances.
more so i was referring to game companies in general who pulled the same thing, I was honestly shocked when there was not a DLC pack within 2 days of Skyrim's release.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: March 26, 2012, 08:32:08 pm »

Next time, they will release all of the animations, textures and meshes as a DLC. For only 9.99$ each! What a bargain! It is a limited offer so don't miss it. If you miss it you'll play with ASCII graphics.

What's wrong with ASCII graphics?

Besides, imagine all the fantastic modding you could do with it. Although, it was sort of degenerate into a worse version of DF.
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: March 26, 2012, 09:00:34 pm »

This is probably not popular opinion around here...but...

I actually enjoyed Oblivion a lot more than Morrowind. I don't know, I played Morrowind when it was released (think it was a month or two after), again with the expansions and even tried modding it. Just couldn't get into it at all. However, the environment seemed kind of (more like...really) bland in Oblivion. I'm just not into the typical green, peaceful looking forest. And I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot more than Oblivion (didn't like Fallout New Vegas, at all, greatly lacked the atmosphere (to me) that Fallout 3 had). I did enjoy Fallout 2 more, in some ways, than FO3, though. I actually liked FO2 more overall. And I played it much later after playing FO3, which introduced me to the Fallout series. But Fallout 3 vanilla was kind of lame, it was a lot better when modded. I made it where it was actually a survival game (it is post-apoc after all), and made ammo, weapons and many items a lot rarer. Among other things I modded in. And I actually enjoy Skyrim way more than Oblivion and a lot more than Fallout 3.

So overall, for me...Skyrim is a great improvement over their older games. And once the better mods come out, it will be epic. Hopefully something like OOO and what not...already mods like Mart's Monster Mod being released. And a WIP mod that reintroduce attributes (which is kind of fail to remove), and a bunch of other WIP mods that sound like they will improve Skyrim. Granted, some may not count mods as part of the game...fine for them. But most games don't allow modding at all, so you are forced to play it how the company wants you to play it. Which I guess works for some. At least with Bethesda (and games like Civ IV (fall from heaven), X3 and early Total War games)...I can mod the game to how I want to play it. Which for Bethesda games, usually ends up being dress-meup, (:P), hot female (:P), and as hardcore of survival games as I can make or get it. Most gamers I guess wouldn't want to play that way, so Bethesda makes games for them, and I mod (or download mods) their games to allow me to play that way.

This whole post may be a bit off topic...but really my point is, I actually enjoy Skyrim a lot more, even un-modded, compared to their other games. But mods just make it to how I want to play the game. Can't wait to see what mods come out for it. My favorite ones (not including graphical) thus far have been Live Another Life (alternate starts, if you guys are familiar with the same one from FO3 and Oblivion)...a vampire overhaul mod (Bethesda always makes sucky (no pun intended) vampires, at least since Oblivion), a werewolf overhaul mod (haven't tried this one too much, yet) and I really enjoy the Imps More Complex Needs (needing food/thirst/sleep). And another favorite that I really really like is Frostfall - Hypothermia, which requires you to wear warm armor/clothes depending on where you are in Skyrim, or you die from the cold. Then there are others that add monsters, and another one that adds a lot more to the animal life. And a new one I haven't tried yet, but it is on my mod list is Occupy Skyrim. It is like Warzones, sort of, but I like it a lot more from the sound of it. It isn't so aggressive with what it adds, and supposed to be lot more immersive.

Sorry if this post went everywhere lol...

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: March 26, 2012, 09:06:24 pm »

I think almost everyone but the most jaded gamers agrees that at the very least, Skyrim is the best game stock of the recent series. Because Oblivion has so many little problems all over that it needs tweaking for and Morrowind is well, clunky Morrowind.

I just wish some race mods came out for Skyrim that I wanna use already. I wanna play the game again but I want something cuter to play as. Yeah I know it sounds silly but besides like maybe quests and a light re balancing of some of the egregious leveling (Mostly bandit bosses, everything else I'm happy with) and I'd be happy with the game. Then I'd just want more to do when I'm out of shit to do.

Well okay and replacing the female foot model, because I dislike wearing shoes to the extreme and don't like inflicting that on my characters for the most part. But GOD DAMN who modeled the feet? They didn't even try.

(Alternatively, I'd love it if someone made clothes + races that made it possible to play the game as Rumia or Mystia. A touhou Dovakiin? Fuck. To the yes.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:08:13 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: March 26, 2012, 09:12:56 pm »

I use Nidia Face Textures for CBBE. Which not exactly a new race...but does improve the look. But there is a Nidia actual race mod floating around out there, I have one version of it but it is kind of broken. There is supposedly a newer Nidia race out there, but I haven't been able to find it. It is buried deep on some Korean website for Skyrim mods, but I don't have access to it. Another website has a rather good mod for Nidia race, if you want me to link that to you. If you like the look of Nidia anyway. It only comes with non-nude textures, but it looks really good (to me). Anyway, it may not be what you are looking for, though. However, CBBE DOES come with new feet textures...which is mainly why I'm replying. It even comes with non-nude versions I believe. If you don't want nudity. And I believe there are other, standalone, mods that replace the feet too. But not sure how they work with vanilla female body. I do agree, the feet look horrible in vanilla...
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: March 26, 2012, 09:20:25 pm »

Yeah I'm aware of all the stuff coming out. I'm just not sure I wanna jump on the body replacement bandwagon quite yet till the different variants settle out.

And dear god I hope no one makes a silly one like DMRA. That was just silly proportions.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5725 on: March 26, 2012, 09:44:39 pm »

I think if we're talking actual gameplay, then yeah, Skyrim is definitely the most polished of the series, including the fact they got rid of the awful immersion-breaking level system. Personally, I think they might have gone a little far, but its combat is certainly more fun and plays out much more smoothly than it did before. And actually, I think Skyrim is better than Oblivion in just about every way.

But I felt like I was actually part of the world in Morrowind, and setting-wise I think Morrowind completely eclipses Skyrim. It's a much more interesting and fulfilling world to explore. But like you said, Morrowind is clunky as hell, and as much as I favor Morrowind I think the two ends, setting and gameplay, balance out and Skyrim comes out overall the better game.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #5726 on: March 26, 2012, 09:49:26 pm »

I think Skyrim will be better once I mod the living heck out of it. I haven't done that yet because vanilla left too bad of a taste in my mouth. Sad... it's the second game in a row from this series that I haven't played until its finish because the gameplay got too lame for me to bother.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: March 26, 2012, 09:52:37 pm »

I liked Morrowind's setting because it was so completely alien.  Giant mushrooms, silt striders, and all the tombs and ruins really made it feel like I was exploring a new world.  I got this wonderful feeling of adventure mixed with trepidation and wonder, which I've never really felt in any game since.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: March 27, 2012, 12:24:27 am »

I liked Morrowind's setting because it was so completely alien.  Giant mushrooms, silt striders, and all the tombs and ruins really made it feel like I was exploring a new world.  I got this wonderful feeling of adventure mixed with trepidation and wonder, which I've never really felt in any game since.
Try the shivering Isles mod for oblivion. Not saying it because they both have giant mushrooms, but because it had a chaotic feel to the place that reminded me of morrowind.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: March 27, 2012, 02:04:03 am »

I have noticed something.

most people who enjoy Skyrim, did not like morrowind or oblivion as much.
most people who did not like Skyrim, liked oblivion or morrowind alot.

I think Bethesda is leaving behind the 'actual' RPG players, in favor of a bigger, more casual audience.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 896