Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1600612 times)

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #5280 on: February 17, 2012, 08:33:57 pm »

Personally I think most of the blame can be attributed to the players and modders rather than Bethesda.

I mean, look at the top 25 mods on Skyrim Nexus at the moment, what have we got? A 'make unclothed woman naked and curvier', another 'make unclothed women naked and with wider hips and bigger breasts!', another 'make unclothed women naked and have breast and butt jiggling physics!!!1!!one!!', a 'make all female armour much more revealing and skimpy' and the big one, 'XXX, women' one. That's 5 out of the top 25.

I mean, next to that, what have Bethesda done? Made armour a bit more revealing. I'm not condoning that either because I prefer realistic armour rather than 'look at the cuuuurves' armour, but quite possibly Bethesda have seen how popular these mods are, and so made armour naturally a bit more revealing to boost sales a bit, but still, if anyone can be blamed for sexing up the Elder Scrolls, it's the player base.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: February 17, 2012, 08:36:47 pm »

Nude mods VS Real Armor mods

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

And yeah, that's the trend with modern games. Red Alert 3, for example. I didn't even play it because I oppose the corporations who use women like marketing tools! And the game was really expensive when it was released here anyway.

Personally I think most of the blame can be attributed to the players and modders rather than Bethesda.

I mean, look at the top 25 mods on Skyrim Nexus at the moment, what have we got? A 'make unclothed woman naked and curvier', another 'make unclothed women naked and with wider hips and bigger breasts!', another 'make unclothed women naked and have breast and butt jiggling physics!!!1!!one!!', a 'make all female armour much more revealing and skimpy' and the big one, 'XXX, women' one. That's 5 out of the top 25.

I mean, next to that, what have Bethesda done? Made armour a bit more revealing. I'm not condoning that either because I prefer realistic armour rather than 'look at the cuuuurves' armour, but quite possibly Bethesda have seen how popular these mods are, and so made armour naturally a bit more revealing to boost sales a bit, but still, if anyone can be blamed for sexing up the Elder Scrolls, it's the player base.

Agreed. If the customers are buying it, devs will focus on it more. We get what we deserve. That applies to everything, including dumbed down gameplay.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:38:45 pm by Leatra »

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: February 17, 2012, 08:40:42 pm »

And yeah, that's the trend with modern games. Red Alert 3, for example. I didn't even played it because I oppose the corporations who use women like marketing tools!
Oh god, when I saw the ad campaign was basically 'big Slavic women in shorts!', my first thought was 'yeah, I think I'll stick with the first Red Alert actually.' Part of me just immediately thinks less of a game when they use really obvious and terribad ad tools, rather than actually basing it on how good the game is.

But yeah, you reap what you sow.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: February 17, 2012, 08:44:24 pm »

This is a real problem that seems to have developed at Bethesda.  Back during Morrowind, sex appeal was never shoehorned into the game.  Now we've got stupid things like boob armor and argonians with breasts whose only justification is to sell more copies to the increasingly juvenile audience.

Let's be fair though. In every prior game, models were so ugly it's like the artists beat them mercilessly with the ugly stick. Now that Bethesda has models that aren't completely hideous (some are still quite hideous) I'm sure they want to play that card. Yeah, it's still a trend in every AAA studio but.....for the most part ES is still incredibly tasteful compared to the worst offenders. There may be boob armor and boobs on stuff you don't think should have boobs....but there's no slut armor anywhere in the game that I can remember.
Forsworn armor is a leather bikini.

I think their claim that they don't care about their installed base makes them incapable of using this excuse.  If they're allowed to use "it's our artistic vision" to flip off those who want them to add spears, crossbows, levitation, or a competent writing and art staff than they can just as easily use it to say that if players want chainmail bikinis and reptile mammaries they can mod it in on their own time.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: February 17, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »

Daggerfall had more nudity than Skyrim. The women and men weren't representative of a broad spectrum but more like a prediction of the current Skyrim mods.

Edit: It might be pixelated but a search for "daggerfall nudity" lead me to a page all about it for anyone who hasn't played daggerfall.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:21:45 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:21 pm »

I always wonder why most people complain about all those sexy outfit mods. Freud was right and rule 34. It should be an expected fact of life by now. And you can always not download it.

What's the current major bug in vanilla game? Should I wait a year or two to play this?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: February 17, 2012, 09:44:41 pm »

Nah. It's pretty much good to go if you're ready to spend the money. It took far less time for it to get ironed out than Oblivion or FO3.

Mods and the CK, on the other hand, still have a ways to go before they're going to be in top form. The Pre-CK mods are still pretty good though and 95% stable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: February 17, 2012, 09:49:13 pm »

Daggerfall had more nudity than Skyrim. The women and men weren't representative of a broad spectrum but more like a prediction of the current Skyrim mods.

Edit: It might be pixelated but a search for "daggerfall nudity" lead me to a page all about it for anyone who hasn't played daggerfall.
I don't think people are complaining about nudity.  It makes sense for mythological creatures, gods, prostitutes, priestesses of Dibella, and crazy PCs to be naked.  I consider the naked Nord playthrough to be a TES tradition.  The problem comes when sexuality is shoehorned into the game for cheap titillation.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5288 on: February 17, 2012, 10:03:00 pm »

Let's take "it doesn't matter if the vanilla sucks, there are mods" to the extreme:

TES:VI - An orc guarding a chest inside a 5x5 room. The end. CK released a bit later than the game.

... no, that's absolutely not okay in my book. Beth needs to straighten out its storytelling.

so I'm not the only one who feels this way?  I often joke that TES VII will have photorealistic graphics and take place in a one block radius.  One quest, the end.  You want more?  Mod it yourself.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: February 17, 2012, 10:14:47 pm »

So it's essentially a lego set? I'm fine with that as long as it's less than $5.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: February 17, 2012, 10:17:09 pm »

I don't think people are complaining about nudity.  It makes sense for mythological creatures, gods, prostitutes, priestesses of Dibella, and crazy PCs to be naked.  I consider the naked Nord playthrough to be a TES tradition.  The problem comes when sexuality is shoehorned into the game for cheap titillation.
Daggerfall wasn't exactly modest with it's nudes. They were idealised likely to cause titillation. I was just pointing out this kind of thing isn't completely new to TES.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: February 17, 2012, 10:27:47 pm »

I encountered some hippy nords just a minute ago. They offered me a strange named mead. I usually don't take drinks from a stranger, especially from a half-naked man, but I had to accept the drink since there wasn't an option to turn down the offer. Nothing weird happened, yet.
I encountered an Argnoian on the path offering me some stamina potion. I decided to try it out, what;s the worst that can happen?

Also duuuuuuuude, this water is like, sick or something.

I've seen those Nord guys as well. They offered to share Honningbrew Mead with me. But I happened to have a few bottles of Black-Briar Mead with me, so I got the dialog option to share Black-Briar with them instead.

They scoffed at the idea of drinking Black-Briar Mead, spit out some rude comments and told me to never speak with them again.

I slit their throats.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: February 17, 2012, 11:10:06 pm »

I found it really weird that the priestesses and followers of Dibella weren't nude, or dressed extremely sluttily to begin with. I mean... that's what they do! Why weren't they all dressed like that thieves' guild goddess lady person cleavage thing?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5293 on: February 17, 2012, 11:22:21 pm »

also why can't I 'worship' at the temple?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: February 18, 2012, 04:55:15 am »

I always thought the Dibella Temple quest really creepy from that perspective. Getting a child and basically selling her off to be a sex slave for the rest of her life? No thanks, I think I'll pass.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 896