Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1601521 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #5100 on: February 11, 2012, 06:01:02 pm »

Hm, wasn't Redguard made during the development of Morrowind?

I think they started Morrowind, but couldn't come up with a design that would work with the technology of the time so it was put on hold to make Redguard and Battlespire. Then DOS died it's final death. But they still dropped a lot of the complex ideas to focus on a smaller scale world (Originally you could join Dagoth Ur, the game would of had a world of similar size to Daggerfalls and the blight was an expansive presence that would spread over all of Morrowind as the quest went on).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:04:48 pm by MorleyDev »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: February 11, 2012, 06:48:02 pm »

I suppose if there were dwarves in Hammerfell and Morrowind, it'd make sense that they'd be in Skyrim too. Anyway, the realms of ancient races don't necessarily match up to modern Imperial provinces. Don't forget that the Dwemer predate the races of men, and what's now called Skyrim may have been considered a part of Resadyn in times past. After all, both provinces are mountainous, and Skyrim mightn't have even been frozen until the Nords arrived. (Climate in TES doesn't work like climate irl)

Also, the Dwemer were the shortest race, Dwemer ghosts in Morrowind were shorter than Bosmer. Dwarf is an appropriate term.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: February 11, 2012, 06:52:56 pm »

Also, note that Skyrim used to be much warmer than it is now; there's a bit of a "cold wave" slowly coming down from Atmora. Men came to Tamriel to escape Atmora's cold, and now Skyrim is getting some of that too.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5103 on: February 11, 2012, 07:02:15 pm »

Also, the Dwemer were the shortest race, Dwemer ghosts in Morrowind were shorter than Bosmer. Dwarf is an appropriate term.
Evidence of this is seen throughout oblivion and skyrim too. Dwemer chairs are short, tables are low, etc.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: February 11, 2012, 07:13:25 pm »

I suppose if there were dwarves in Hammerfell and Morrowind, it'd make sense that they'd be in Skyrim too. Anyway, the realms of ancient races don't necessarily match up to modern Imperial provinces.

The Hammerfell Dwemer explicitely moved to Hammerfell to get away from the Morrowind Dwemer. As I said, I would've accepted settlements in the east and south-west, on the border of where they lived.

Don't forget that the Dwemer predate the races of men

Nope, they're just as old. Humans lived on Tamriel before the Nords came, as well, that they didn't is just propaganda. In fact, the (proto-)Nords originated from Tamriel, then left for Atmora, then came back and resettled. Basically.
Love, scriver~

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: February 11, 2012, 08:30:05 pm »

I suppose if there were dwarves in Hammerfell and Morrowind, it'd make sense that they'd be in Skyrim too. Anyway, the realms of ancient races don't necessarily match up to modern Imperial provinces. Don't forget that the Dwemer predate the races of men, and what's now called Skyrim may have been considered a part of Resadyn in times past.

The problem with this is that there are physical landmarks in Tamriel that lock the positions of ancient civilizations.  Morrowind is bordered on the east by the Velothi mountains, the Rourken Clan settled in Stros M'Kai, and Nord and Breton territories are indicated by the locations of Sarthaal and the Direnni Tower.  If I recall correctly, sources in Skyrim seem to indicate that Blackreach was occupied up until the disappearance, although I think they justify this by saying that they occasionally fought with the Nords.

The more I look at it, the more the presence of Dwemer in Skyrim seems like an afterthought meant to placate the fans.  Unlike the Dwemer ruins in Morrowind, they have absolutely no relevance to the main quest (apart from a fetch quest) or anything else going on in the game.  It's a shame, because the Dwemer ruins were one of the game's few highlights.  The enemies were diverse, imposing, and well-animated, and the dungeons were a treat to explore.  Blackreach was the only area where I felt more like an adventurer exploring a ruined city than a colonoscopy camera being pushed through an intestine.  Freedom of movement was provided by rooftop walkways, sewer exits, and surface elevators and every room had a sense of historical purpose that gave a motivation to explore other than teabagging a level-scaled corpse and stealing his randomized loot.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: February 11, 2012, 09:41:56 pm »

I suppose if there were dwarves in Hammerfell and Morrowind, it'd make sense that they'd be in Skyrim too. Anyway, the realms of ancient races don't necessarily match up to modern Imperial provinces. Don't forget that the Dwemer predate the races of men, and what's now called Skyrim may have been considered a part of Resadyn in times past.

The problem with this is that there are physical landmarks in Tamriel that lock the positions of ancient civilizations.  Morrowind is bordered on the east by the Velothi mountains, the Rourken Clan settled in Stros M'Kai, and Nord and Breton territories are indicated by the locations of Sarthaal and the Direnni Tower.  If I recall correctly, sources in Skyrim seem to indicate that Blackreach was occupied up until the disappearance, although I think they justify this by saying that they occasionally fought with the Nords.

The more I look at it, the more the presence of Dwemer in Skyrim seems like an afterthought meant to placate the fans.  Unlike the Dwemer ruins in Morrowind, they have absolutely no relevance to the main quest (apart from a fetch quest) or anything else going on in the game.  It's a shame, because the Dwemer ruins were one of the game's few highlights.  The enemies were diverse, imposing, and well-animated, and the dungeons were a treat to explore.  Blackreach was the only area where I felt more like an adventurer exploring a ruined city than a colonoscopy camera being pushed through an intestine.  Freedom of movement was provided by rooftop walkways, sewer exits, and surface elevators and every room had a sense of historical purpose that gave a motivation to explore other than teabagging a level-scaled corpse and stealing his randomized loot.
Don't underestimate the satisfaction of a good teabag. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: February 11, 2012, 09:54:37 pm »

I love sniping enemies from a hundred yards away with the tier-2 ice spell (ice spike, maybe?). It might break immersion when I go into the third person camera to see where those goddamn witches are, but the satisfaction of beating down an old woman never feels any less great. I feel like good immersive dungeons have their place and then the goings on of what is obviously a video-game can both be fun in different ways. It just depends on how you want to enjoy it.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: February 12, 2012, 02:13:22 am »

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix my Load Order for my Skyrim? And should I go around the official Loader to start the game or not???

Code: [Select]
−Script Extender And Script Extender Plugins

SKSE Version: 0.1.4.10
    CFM_extensions.dll

−Recognised And Re-ordered Plugins

Skyrim.esm
    Update.esm
    SoS - The Dungeons.esp
    skyui.esp
    WiS IV.esp
        Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
    WiS IV - New Equipement for NPC.esp
    WiS IV - Perks for NPC.esp
    Lightweight Potions and Poisons.esp
    CutthroatMerchantsVeryHard.esp
    CutthroatMerchantsHard.esp
    CutthroatMerchantsMedium.esp
    CutthroatMerchantsEasy.esp
    DynamicMerchants.esp
    Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp
    Spells Cast Light.esp
    Skyrim Unlimited Rings And Amulets.esp
    WiS IV - Double ArrowDamage.esp
    WiS IV - Werewolf & Vampire.esp
    dd - realistic ragdoll force - realistic.esp
    markrecall.esp
    MidasSkyrim.esp
    WiS IV - AI & Spells for NPC.esp
    WiS IV - Realistic Combat.esp
    SpecializedFollowers.esp
    WiS IV - Races.esp

−Unrecognised Plugins

Reorder these by hand using your favourite mod ordering utility.

rvconjurationoverhaul.esp
    new_familiar.esp
    ownedinnchests.esp
    xylozi_tougher_traps.esp
    foodeffects_1.esp
    new guards.esp
    sparse start.esp
    more npcs in the wild.esp
    WiS IV blood coins Insane.esp
    magicscaling.esp
    expertandmasterhoods.esp
    stone_overhaul.esp
    longerlastingmagearmor.esp
    improvedskillbooks.esp
    weighted gold.esp
    improved container names.esp
    disablefasttravel.esp
    torches for realistic lighting.esp
    boundweaponscale.esp
    improvedquestbooks.esp
    librarian - book sorting.esp
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: February 12, 2012, 02:16:16 am »

I'm not sure on the actual effectiveness of BOSS, but you should go with it. It's better than guessing yourself, definitely.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: February 12, 2012, 02:46:30 am »

I'm not sure on the actual effectiveness of BOSS, but you should go with it. It's better than guessing yourself, definitely.
That was from BOSS... I have no idea how to use it...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: February 12, 2012, 02:47:58 am »

You run it and it fixes your load order.

And should I go around the official Loader to start the game or not???

Just use whatever you normally use.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: February 12, 2012, 02:51:42 am »

So I started a new game, a few new mods in so it broke the old one........

So, I am sitting in the cart waiting, pulled out my mobile cause of the start up. WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THE CONVOY IS ATTACKED BY NOVICE MAGES!!! I BROKE A CUTSCENE!!!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: February 12, 2012, 03:39:04 am »

Hehehehe. I'm sure they were dispatched in short order.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: February 12, 2012, 03:46:11 am »

That was from BOSS... I have no idea how to use it...
I know that. That's why I said what I said. I did not say "Use BOSS" because I assumed you were already using it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 896