Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1601277 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2595 on: November 24, 2011, 10:39:48 am »

I feel the exact same way.  When I became archmage, I realized that I hadn't cast a single spell beyond "point at what you want to die".  I hadn't advanced the study of magic in any way, or solved any mysteries or problems that would require magical expertise.  Somehow, I had become the archmage not by proving that I could benefit the College, but because my superiors wanted to reward me for having a great aptitude for killing.  Then I realized who I was.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

xD

You win everything, even the outernet.

[/quote]Apart from Etheral Form and Hey Skeever Butt there doesn't seem to be much actual utility with shouts.  I was expecting whirlwind sprint to at least add something to the game, but the shout and the level design conspire so that you can't use it to do anything interesting like you could with the mobility skills from Daggerfall, Morrowind, and even Oblivion.  The others just feel like generic offensive magic.
[/quote]

Well, I know it's not much, but I've happened upon two dungeons so far that has places I could only reach with Whirlwind Sprint. It made me very happy both of the times ;)
Love, scriver~

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: November 24, 2011, 10:56:34 am »

Aura Whisper is pretty useful as well as far as shouts are concerned, mainly since it has unlimited range, something that makes it vastly superior to the detect life spell, which has a really limited range. The slow time shout is unique, at least, but it doesn't have that much utility (but this might be because I've only found one word so far, though).
Entropy is not what it used to be.

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: November 24, 2011, 11:15:29 am »

ill just drop this here

i can propably come up with more. but whats the point? just wanting to share what i think might and should have been in the game from magic content.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:17:23 am by irbis »

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: November 24, 2011, 11:40:49 am »

I do agree with some of the complains with magic, but i find others kind of "game breaking" sort off. Some of you basically want to be able to do everything in game just with magic, if that was the case, then mages would be OP (not that it really cares in a singleplayer game), lockpicking, smithing, sneaking, balcksmith, speachcraft, trasportation, thats some of the things u want to do, just by spending some mana, i find it quite game breaking. maybe if mana didint auto regenerate it would work.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2599 on: November 24, 2011, 11:44:57 am »

Well open spells were in Morrowind and Oblivion and quite useful as an alternative to lockpicking. Considering the lockpicking skill is useless anyway (I can open a Master lock with about 5 picks and 15 lockpicking)...

And perhaps mages should be OP by end-game. Mastery of Magic does basically mean "capable of tearing reality a new a-hole". And in exchange they perhaps should be a lot more underpowered at the start of the game ^^

Okay, Smithing and the like is just kinda silly but Open and Teleportation don't seem that bad an idea.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:48:19 am by MorleyDev »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: November 24, 2011, 11:47:33 am »

Well open spells were in Morrowind and Oblivion and quite useful as an alternative to lockpicking. Considering the lockpicking skill is useless anyway (I can open a Master lock with about 5 picks and 15 lockpicking)...

And perhaps mages should be OP by end-game. Mastery of Magic does basically mean "capable of tearing reality a new a-hole". And in exchange they perhaps should be a lot more underpowered at the start of the game ^^

Okay, Smithing and the like is just kinda silly nut Open and Teleportation don't seem that bad an idea.

That and really... There was never anything baring you from doing magic AND physical combat.

Skyrim is the first that actually seems to up and go "No, no, no, no, no. You will do only magic and like it!". I mean you CAN do a mixed approach but the game likes to make that pointlessly difficult.

I have to give Oblivion credit in that it made a mixed approach fairly simple (In fact that is what I did in Oblivion. I can't imagine the horror of doing it in Skyrim)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:54:36 am by Neonivek »

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: November 24, 2011, 11:52:25 am »

Personally I'd love to be able to open all those chests and doors with a Master lock on them in the Dwemer ruins without having to go around lockpicking.  An extremely noisy, illegal and expensive Open spell (or just plain bashing at the lock) would be perfect in these situations.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2602 on: November 24, 2011, 12:24:44 pm »

mmm
revamping mages to be like one of the following presets should make everyone happy.:

the d&d mage.
weak early, but when big spells start rolling in he is an unstoppable force of destruction annihilation mass murder and kittenry! for he can do anything, from wishes to meteor showers to ancient elemental conjuring, and so on.
but in the beginning...it's acid orb for you!

the fantasy mage.
it's middle ground. it's the mage who mumbo jumbo for a couple of minutes before casting a spell aka it's a mage who must enter battle prepared to fight, caught by surprise, he gets maimed and brutally killed.

the gandalf.
gandalf, in all of the series, uses really little, little magic, he simply kicks ass in different ways. so a sort of sage with no destruction, but different things? (like increase in health, damage or similar through silent spells?)

the noobtuber:
yeah, i'll kill you from level one to level 80+, i just need to spam this spell here, it's area, kills everyone, better even then the .kill stuff.

and maybe dunno...NEW PERKS!?
or new objects.
i alway loved how some mods introduced thousands and thousands of different cheeses or similar. it's diversification which makes the game fun!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: November 24, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »

Could have really keept "walk on water" "Reduce weight" and so on... some magic schools feel extremely empty.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: November 24, 2011, 12:43:09 pm »

Okay guys, I think this is the first must-have mod for skyrim.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: November 24, 2011, 01:13:04 pm »

:o

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: November 24, 2011, 02:52:29 pm »

I demand magic-casters to be terrifying. Right now, if you spot a Wizard, you charge in to kill him ASAP.

Instead, I want to actually consider avoiding direct conflict and look for indirect ways to kill them. Hit and run, leading them through traps, for example, or just sneaking in for a near-instakill.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: November 24, 2011, 03:10:42 pm »

I don't think any other game can claim to be so successful purely because of the modding fan base.

Plenty have been, actually.  The best mod community ever was Quake 1.  There weren't any significant advances in FPS gameplay from 1996 to 2004 when dynamic lighting and source engine physics came out and offered completely new possibilities.  Everything else that came out in that period of time had already been done by modders on the Quake 1 engine.  It was truly incredible.  That game had an active lifespan of at least 5 years, and I don't just mean that something neat would come out once in a while that would warrant a revisiting.  I mean that there was something significantly new to try that kept me into that game every single day for that entire period of time.  To this day, I have not seen another more active or creative modding community.

And ever since then, most Id games are bought for the mods more than the game itself.  The game will be solid, but the mods are what give it lifespan.  Same with the Half-Life series.  Stalker is quite remarkable as well.  They're a very small and tight-knit community of modders, but they're also amazingly talented and dedicated.  I played almost nothing else for over a year after I discovered Stalker's modding community.

I'd actually give TES games a B+ for their modding scene.  And I don't expect modders to fix the game, especially in anything like a timely manner.  I just know it's going to happen.  This is a game I'm probably going to play for another week or two... and then revisit in a couple years to enjoy 10x more and 10x longer than I did the first time.

I demand magic-casters to be terrifying. Right now, if you spot a Wizard, you charge in to kill him ASAP.

Instead, I want to actually consider avoiding direct conflict and look for indirect ways to kill them. Hit and run, leading them through traps, for example, or just sneaking in for a near-instakill.

I just hit them with arrows laced with damage magicka regen poisons.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: November 24, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »

Speaking of magic-casters: I recently found a sort of lab where a mage kept frost spiders and enchanted them. That was one of the times where I could just image an awesome quest with an even more awesome reward. But guess what...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: November 24, 2011, 03:38:37 pm »

WOW! Interface that isn't vomit tastic!

Now we just have to be able to select Left AND right hand with the Favorite list and my dream has come true.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 896