Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1601990 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2505 on: November 23, 2011, 06:53:32 pm »

Which is why I play as male usually.
*Hugs*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: November 23, 2011, 07:01:23 pm »

I usually just take gold and leave gear, It takes ages to make money, but I'm trying to save the world, not become a millionaire. As long as I have enough to keep myself on the curve of equipment I'm good.

Same here.  I only pick up gold, magic stuff, crafting stuff, gems, potions, and ingredients.  I haven't bothered actively making money in a long time, and I consistently have 10k+ on hand.  If I need some more real quick for like buying a house or training or something, my ingredients storage is a massive personal treasury.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: November 23, 2011, 07:05:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: November 23, 2011, 07:45:12 pm »

Just got myself my first plate armour.

...Man that looks stupid. Boobs of steel indeed. Together with the fur/hide "armour" top, it's sad to see Beth take the first real steps to chainmail bikinis. They've always been much better in their armour design than that. Even though the non-plate steel armour is still badass, of course.

On the topic of armour, is anyone else surprised by the surprising amount of bare skin most armours sport? I mean, most of them look decent enough, but I'd think you'd want to cover up more of yourself in warm clothes when living in an as cold place as Skyrim. People even complain about the cold in dialogue while wearing stuff that would be appropriate for a fairly warm summer day in the middle of a blizzard... This general lack of warm clothing is part of the reason  I use the arch-mage robes from the College quests, it looks like a good piece of clothing to have in a blizzard, most other things don't.

Also: did anyone else try to pickpocket forsworn briarhearts yet? If not, do try, it's totally worth it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I thought that was a really nice touch, along with falmer actually being blind gameplay-wise as well as lore-wise, you effectively have a permanent invisibility spell on you when sneaking up on falmer.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: November 23, 2011, 07:47:57 pm »

I noticed that too, at first I was wary about sneaking around Falmer until I realized as long as they didnt' hear me (And I had muffle boots) they had no way of getting me.
Shoes...

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: November 23, 2011, 08:10:34 pm »

I usually just take gold and leave gear, It takes ages to make money, but I'm trying to save the world, not become a millionaire. As long as I have enough to keep myself on the curve of equipment I'm good.

I pick up everything that isn't nailed down, as long as it's better than steel. My rule of thumb for looting equipment : if the base price is at least 10 times the weight, i take it. If i'm too encumbered, i drop all my findings in a chest near the entrance, and then come back with a pack mule follower after completing the dungeon. I also loot all the foods and drinks, and then i store them in a cupboard in breezehome.
For later use.
Just in case.
You know.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2511 on: November 23, 2011, 08:10:41 pm »

lol, I was watching a friend play this earlier. He's beat the game already and maxed his alchemy/smithing/enchanting and made a set of crafting gear and is wearing a set of leather boots/gloves/helm with that fur legging piece that leaves the chest exposed.

With 100 light armor skill and 6 perks in armor bonus (all the 20% boosts and the 25% for wearing all light armor) he has 600 armor, which is apparently over the armor cap. He doesn't even have any of the smithing perks.

So he is armored the best he possibly can be. With his hands, most of his arms, and his entire torso completely exposed. Yay?

Apparently he's hit some kind of damage cap too, he's using a wooden longbow and doing the same damage as his daedric bow, only shooting faster. Shooting down dragons with a wooden longbow improved with firewood.

I think I'll wait till this thing hits the bargain bin (or a really good steam sale, since apparently the game absolutely requires it anyway) and gets some good mods out there before I get it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: November 23, 2011, 08:32:48 pm »

lol, I was watching a friend play this earlier. He's beat the game already and maxed his alchemy/smithing/enchanting and made a set of crafting gear and is wearing a set of leather boots/gloves/helm with that fur legging piece that leaves the chest exposed.

With 100 light armor skill and 6 perks in armor bonus (all the 20% boosts and the 25% for wearing all light armor) he has 600 armor, which is apparently over the armor cap. He doesn't even have any of the smithing perks.

So he is armored the best he possibly can be. With his hands, most of his arms, and his entire torso completely exposed. Yay?

Apparently he's hit some kind of damage cap too, he's using a wooden longbow and doing the same damage as his daedric bow, only shooting faster. Shooting down dragons with a wooden longbow improved with firewood.

Your friend is power-gaming (and incidentally ruining the game for himself if he really play it like that). It's been said already that with the enchanting/alchemy/smithing combo (enchanting a set for alchemy, then making an enchanting potion, then a stronger alchemy set...until you finally make a +infinity smithing set, upgrade an armor/weapon with it, and enchant it with +infinity armor/weapon skill), you could craft godly gear, which completely breaks combat and amounts to cheating.
Thankfully, there is much more to the game than that.

I think I'll wait till this thing hits the bargain bin (or a really good steam sale, since apparently the game absolutely requires it anyway) and gets some good mods out there before I get it.

Your choice, but saying that is almost like saying that you won't play a tabletop RPG because someone found an infinite loop by exploiting the rules. I'm not saying that the game is perfect, but it's still pretty good, all considering.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:38:10 pm by Sirian »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: November 23, 2011, 09:01:07 pm »

Spoiler: First DLC revealed. (click to show/hide)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2514 on: November 23, 2011, 09:02:21 pm »

Just fus ro dah it every few days it'll be fine.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2515 on: November 23, 2011, 09:05:49 pm »

I loot everything, usually whilst singing "loot glorious loot". I can figure out what's useless when I can't run any more xD Then again playing as a mage my money basically goes broke poor ok rich richer loaded *buys loads of spell books, training and the next tier of robe* broke -_-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:13:16 pm by MorleyDev »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2516 on: November 23, 2011, 09:34:17 pm »

Spoiler: First DLC revealed. (click to show/hide)
I wanna be a Goron. Roll around Whiterun all day smashing deer into the tundra and playing Yakety Sax with the giants.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: November 23, 2011, 09:36:53 pm »

I got really mad when I realized I'd forgotten to find a cure disease potion and I'd become a vampire.

Then I realized being a vampire was awesome.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: November 23, 2011, 09:47:20 pm »

Do you sparkle?

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: November 23, 2011, 09:49:19 pm »

I got really mad when I realized I'd forgotten to find a cure disease potion and I'd become a vampire.

Then I realized being a vampire was awesome.

Actually, you don't even need a potion, you just need to pay a visit to the nearest temple altar.

From what i heard, being a vampire is kinda annoying though.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 896