Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1600372 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #750 on: November 12, 2011, 04:15:26 am »

Actually on a game by game basis it's a good idea to do research. When people accuse games of being console ports, they often mean 360 ports. If they were lazy with the PS3 version it's going to show a hell of a lot more than when they're lazy with PC ports.

I'd give it a bit and see if you can see some comparisons before making a decision.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 12, 2011, 04:21:00 am »

Its a personal christmas present, so that is exactly what I am doing :) Just want some early info. Im leaning towards selling my 360 games and going with the PS3 version, but if the PS3 version ends up having outstanding issues, I know where to place my bet.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 12, 2011, 05:52:30 am »

OK I want you guys to know, I came into this with the assumption that it was going to suck. Essentially that it was going to be a worse elder scrolls game than the cell phone games. That it was going to be such a betrayal that I was going to rage for EONS about it, like I did with Oblivion.

I came out startled, it's mediocre, but that's really all the Elder Scrolls games ever were in comparisons to the true giants. They never had the balance of character development that Might and Magic had. Were never as addictive as Wizardry. They lacked the depth and philosophy of Ultima. They didn't have as good of stories as Fallout or other Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian(Disregard the lack of Bioware, it's a rant that would probably get me banned for it's vehemence.) games. They were just moderately amusing sidetracks generally in between major releases. In that regard, as relatively pointless wastes of time, they excelled.

I find in retrospect, that the pain I found on Oblivion's release, wasn't actually all that related to Oblivion, but offense in that this and Bioware were really all we had left at that point. Obsidian hadn't really released much beyond KotOR 2, which I hadn't played at that point. Troika had just folded not for lack of a good product but for lack of exposure and publisher relations. Black Isle was long dead. Microprose was longer dead. Sirtech would likely never release another game. Interplay was a company of just Herve Caine, who had liquidated the Fallout franchise for a pittance. And HoMM was being put in people heads as the only Might and Magic franchise. It was a depressing time for RPG gamers, when your choice was between Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2. Neverwinter Nights 1 being the game that started Bioware's decline.

As it is, Skyrim is excelling, in the same way Daggerfall and Morrowind excelled, providing me something to do while I wait for something better to come out. For Morrowind, it was Icewind Dale 2, for Daggerfall, it was, god that was so long ago I can't recall, maybe Ultima 7. Maybe Saints Row 3 or Amalur will serve that games purpose in regards to Skyrim.

As for my thoughts on the actual game and not just mindless speculation on my own inner thoughts.

Combat system is better than oblivion, at the default difficulty things don't seem to have much HP bloat, and the enemies seem to hit decently hard in return. Duel wielding could be improved in a few ways, more animation variety, less lag time, and a decent parry, as it is you can't parry at all. I initially had this problem where when I tried to strike, I was expecting hands to correlate correctly, IE right click to use right hand, left click to use left hand. That's been sorted now. I did like the lack of tutorial beyond, here this is how you move and loot.

Magic seems to have been massively downgraded, you now can't make your own spell effects. Alchemy can only be done at alchemy stations and seems to have been depowered slightly. Magic itself is completely potion dependent, with no real way to quickly recharge bar that. I'd love it if as a pure mage, I didn't expend magicka with my base spells, like fighters don't expend fatigue when they just spam click without power attacking. But that would likely be the overpowered solution provided spell effects stayed the same.

Shouts are viseral and seem to add some variety to combat, I just wish there was a quick way to switch between them. I still don't know if I can chain a whirlwind step with a force bolt. I'd like to find out, it's just the menu systems are clunky as all hell right now.

Menu systems, the menu systems suffer massively from the fact that this is a 360 game. And are thus meant for a screen that is high def and somewhere in the range of 40 inches of screensize, played on a couch 2 metres away. As it is, I play in the decidedly non high def res of 1440 by 880, and the screensize of 21 inches, played from 2 feet away. Text is massively large, and books read hilariously like facebook posts. 1.2 paragraphs left click to read more. 1.3 paragraphs, left click to read more.

I just realized I don't post anything other than walls of text do I?

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 12, 2011, 06:21:15 am »

Edit: Editted out 'cause it seems pointless mentioning it
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:26:40 am by fred1248 »
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 12, 2011, 08:17:25 am »

Ok, I contracted Vampirism and I want rid. Since I'm a fully blown vampire I can't just use Cure Disease. Any help?

Scratch that, I've just thought of a place to look.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:32:51 am by SP2 »

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 12, 2011, 08:30:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit

Edit;

Wait... Dragon... + Dragon... = ...Dragon.. nest?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 12, 2011, 08:33:39 am »

Ok, that's just epic. May I ask how far you've gone in the Main Quest? I'm wondering if your progress has anything to do with it. :S

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 12, 2011, 08:55:41 am »

Ok, that's just epic. May I ask how far you've gone in the Main Quest? I'm wondering if your progress has anything to do with it. :S

This is my new character. I've only done bleak falls. :D I am level 11, though. Or 12?

Spoiler: The battle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: screenshots (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A Shout. Beware. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other Faction Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I unlocked Skyrim 38 hours ago (I think, maybe bad math). I've had two sleeps, in any case.

I play this game way too much.

Current Players    Peak Today         Game

184,243    231,593         The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
68,895    71,239         Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer

F* you MW3. F* you.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:12:21 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 12, 2011, 09:29:19 am »

Thanks be to the Lord and Bethesda for Skyrim!

Just went through my first full session of Skyrim, and it was awesome...Cept for the 30 minutes of searching for Lydua. Now to sleep...
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 12, 2011, 09:43:01 am »

So, I got my copy in the mail yesterday after all (yay!). Bought a new computer too, finally. It's not the best, but it runs the game nicely.

Then stuff happened. It was fun.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 12, 2011, 09:45:26 am »

Pretty sure 75% of MW3's sales strength comes from their console base. From the PC side, it honestly looks like most people could care less about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 12, 2011, 09:59:42 am »

Okay. I didn't preorder this. How long will it be impossible to get?
Everybody!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 12, 2011, 10:07:05 am »

As in, get a physical copy?

I dunno but my will to not run out and drop $60 on Steam for it is rapidly depleting. ><
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 12, 2011, 10:09:46 am »

-long epic text-
Ok, seems I'm further so they must be random. Glad to hear.

Only two sleeps?! I've had one :D But I must relinquish and go back to normal life starting Sunday. Damn you Skyrim, damn you.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 12, 2011, 10:12:13 am »

As in, get a physical copy?

I dunno but my will to not run out and drop $60 on Steam for it is rapidly depleting. ><
What country you at?!?!?! Its like $89.99USD for me...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 896