Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1600272 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #705 on: November 11, 2011, 09:10:38 pm »

Am I actually supposed to grind for a few levels in the beginning? If so, I've never had to do that in an Elder Scrolls game before.

I go one direction, get knocked into the upper stratosphere by a giant (who somehow managed that even with an over-head swing which should have turned me into a fence post). I go another direction, I get eaten by saber tooth tigers. I go one of two other directions and get sliced to ribbons by frost trolls. I go try and actually complete some quests and find a dragon that eats me. I go into a random building to chat with the owner, I get peppered with ice spells. I look at the cave right next to a town, I get eaten by a bear. How do humans survive?

I've got what I thought was decent armor, but I do very little damage while sustaining lots.

Don't think I'm not having fun, though. Despite these few complaints, I find it enjoyable. Having to sneak around isn't all bad.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:22:56 pm by Mephisto »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #706 on: November 11, 2011, 09:11:26 pm »

My biggest gripe with the UI is switching weapons and especially spells while in action. It seems to me the the UI design penalizes mages by only allowing you to have 2 spells ready. I have used the 'Q' favorites and it does help, but players who focus on weapons will find themselves going much less 'Q' menu stuff to get through their routine.

I can run around with a sword and a single spell or a shield and I almost never have to use the 'Q' menu. But if I want to go with a pure mage, I need to be in that damned menu all the time, setting up my armor buffs, confusing and debuffing the enemy, then switch to damage spells then heal spells if I need it. Its better in combat to just use the TAB menu because at least that stops the action and you can leisurely pick your spells, but to do that for every fight is a pain.

Other than that, best game I have played in along time, so good I can live with this little annoyance for now, but I am looking forward to some mod or update to give me some hotkeys or something.
I got nothing

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 11, 2011, 09:15:54 pm »

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649870992089615169/B51979666D992236E31D92AD330F610DE929BE4E/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649870992089613127/20DB22CF482E95B7E30C183930C5F5E506C37A3E/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649870992089614555/F12740DB5CAD3FDC6FFFEEAC86AB6FF33A4D2776/

Spoiler: First character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New Character (click to show/hide)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 11, 2011, 09:17:43 pm »

I use the Q menu all the time to switch between ranged and melee, not sure if I would do it more if I was a mage.

My favourite NPC so far has to be Cicerro or however you spell it.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 11, 2011, 09:24:49 pm »

Pro:
Game is very fun.

Con:
Bad interface

ProCon:
Got off a horse, horse suddenly launched itself at 45 degree vertical angle at impossible speed. Never saw horse again.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rebecca Black

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 11, 2011, 09:27:47 pm »

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 11, 2011, 09:30:06 pm »

@Pakhawaj:
The lore seems a lot better than in Oblivion, a least it feels like you're in another world not in a fantasy cliche like in Oblivion.
The compass and markers are still present(there is also a spell doing a line fable style) but you can desactivate it and contrary to oblivion, you can actually ask people how to get to the goal with a real itinerary(for example, follow the road west until you reach the watch tower and then go north).
The combat feels quite good too, in fact I think they may have nailed it this time(didn't think that would ever happen). They also added a bit of interaction with the environement in dungeons with oil you can set on fire, more traps etc.
As for the voice acting it's fine, some people sound a bit weird but most of it is good(much better than oblivion once again).
The quest writing is still not at the level of a bioware game but it's still the best they've done.
There are plenty of details and it really feels like it's a polished game this time, I would even say a work of love :p.

Frankly the only "real" issue(if we ignore the pathfinding which is a bit buggy) is the interface. I'm getting used to it but frankly...urgh.

I think it may be the best bethesda game so far, not 100% sure, need more hours, err days, I mean months on it to be sure :p.
Wow. Thanks for the answer! This sounds really positive, if I can afford it after Christmas shopping I'll definitely pick this  up then. So pleased to hear that they've dropped the fantasy cliché. I'm excited to play! I hope the new books are good.
I don't think there was an Elder Scrolls game with good pathfinding, I'm sure it isn't as bad as guards getting stuck in corners and things in Daggerfall. ;)

@Pakhawaj: My apologies, I assumed people knew The Dark Brotherhood would be in, given that it was very enjoyable in Oblivion. :S
Aw, no worries man. I just didn't know, it's not that big of a spoiler. I would have guessed some sort of assassins guild would be in and the Dark Brotherhood makes sense. :)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 11, 2011, 09:32:57 pm »

GAH!!!
Someone flip me a dozen fucking coins, I don't know if I should get this... But that link Rebecca just posted... PFFT!!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 11, 2011, 09:38:58 pm »

GAH!!!
Someone flip me a dozen fucking coins, I don't know if I should get this... But that link Rebecca just posted... PFFT!!!!

Should definitely get. If this doesn't beat BF3 and MW3 for GOTY, there's something wrong.

Rebecca Black

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 11, 2011, 09:40:35 pm »

GAH!!!

Quest:Recruiter complete!

+50exp!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 11, 2011, 09:57:45 pm »

My favourite buggy moment so far, I stole a horse, jumped over a log, suddenly in the sky.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 11, 2011, 10:17:49 pm »

Heres the problem though... Pay day doesn't come till Tuesday, its Saturday, I have 110$ is my account, the game costs me 100$ (rounded up)...

Should I wait till I get my pay or get it now...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 11, 2011, 11:13:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wow, I seriously like the new look of ghosts.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 11, 2011, 11:16:57 pm »

I like that there's actually female zombies now.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 896