Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1598596 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2011, 03:43:45 pm »

hey guys, a question, when you go for a new computer, how do you go about? you buy the pieces and mount them together? you go in a store? you buy them online?
i usually go through the Dell site. But they have a strange "you can't overclock our cores you silly idiot!" policy.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »

I do either ibuypower.com or build it with newegg.com

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2011, 04:06:09 pm »

I buy my computers part by part. I look for some parts that I want, and then put the entire thing together around those. I later look for the cheapest place to order the stuff from.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2011, 04:21:01 pm »

I went through www.overclockers.co.uk with a Computer pro friend of mine and he basically said "Ok, if you want a Good Gaming PC for £1000 max, then choose this this this."

Then I went through a bunch of other website, Amazon, Dobs, Eclipse, and some others to find the best price.

Knocked £916 down to £811 or so.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2011, 05:00:09 pm »

Somebody messed with the audio and made that trailer infinitely better.

Still stoked about this, even though I won't play it for at least a year :P.

God, makes me wonder why, WHY IS THERE NO FREAKING FANTASY MOVIES ANYMOREEEE!
And btw I preferred the original. Voice over kinda ruins it imo :p.

Is it still the music composer of oblivion for skyrim? I personally didn't like his Oblivion pieces very much(sorry that video made me wonder :p).
The real crime with the dub is leaving out FUS ROH DAH.

I'm noticing a some good things and some bad things about the new footage.

On one hand, the imperials look really good.  The legion armor keeps the Roman design while looking like it's been patched up with local metal and leather, showing the decaying grip of the empire.  I also like how the first half does a great job of setting up local flavor and political conflicts similar to Seyda Neen before transitioning into the more Oblivion-esque action sequence.  Furthermore, while the facial customization is less complex than that of Oblivion (discrete units rather than continuous sliders), I think that it will result in a larger number of usable faces.  Also it's worth it for beards and tattoos alone.

On the other hand, the UI looks even worse than Oblivion's.  There are bars all over the screen instead of conveniently in the corner, and the compass is large, dominating, and never leaves the screen.  The menu reminds me more of the early days of JRPGs than a modern game, given that multiple screens must be navigated through for even the most mundane actions.  Unfortunately I doubt that there will be an option to use an efficient Morrowind-styled interface for the PC given the extent to which Todd Howard has claimed the Skyrim menu to be perfect.  The page turning animation will likely get old fast if there's no way to turn it off.  Why is the screen half obscured by blood during combat?  Is Dovahkiin getting blood on his eyeballs, which mysteriously behave like camera lenses?  It pains me to think that they coded this into the game but decided that spears “just didn’t make the cut”.

Overall, the game has potential to be really great or really terrible.  On one hand, they've got Michael Kirkbride writing lore, and he's probably the best lore writer in the industry.  On the other hand, Todd Howard has creative control, and while I think he has good intentions I find it hard to trust him after Oblivion, especially given that he hyped it at E3 2005 as having "over 200 dungeons, all hand crafted", and his rather ill-advised narrow-minded statement about what he considers to be "fantasy".  It'll probably be a decent game no matter what (and there's no way it's getting anything less than 9-10 from any major reviewer), but I think that having high expectations may lead to disappointment.

Also, is it just me or do dragons sound like the unholy child of Oblivion gates and cliff racers?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 30, 2011, 05:08:53 pm »

While the facial customization is less complex than that of Oblivion (discrete units rather than continuous sliders), I think that it will result in a larger number of usable faces.

Actually, the Oblivion facegen also had discrete units, only I think there were 100 of them per slider IIRC. Which is just silly, there's no perceptible difference between brow depth 47 and brow depth 48. Having lots of options to choose from is only good if there is a meaningful difference between them. So that's one change I really like.
Also, since the video is gone already, here's a question: Does moving one slider also affect other sliders? Because if it does, I'm going to find the guy who thought of that, put his balls through a meat grinder, and then shove them down his throat. That aspect of the Oblivion facegen was one of the stupidest design decisions ever.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 30, 2011, 05:34:19 pm »

While the facial customization is less complex than that of Oblivion (discrete units rather than continuous sliders), I think that it will result in a larger number of usable faces.

Actually, the Oblivion facegen also had discrete units, only I think there were 100 of them per slider IIRC. Which is just silly, there's no perceptible difference between brow depth 47 and brow depth 48. Having lots of options to choose from is only good if there is a meaningful difference between them. So that's one change I really like.
Also, since the video is gone already, here's a question: Does moving one slider also affect other sliders? Because if it does, I'm going to find the guy who thought of that, put his balls through a meat grinder, and then shove them down his throat. That aspect of the Oblivion facegen was one of the stupidest design decisions ever.

It looks a lot better than Oblivion's.  Calling some of them "sliders" is misleading, as it works more along the lines of clicking through it to select premade face parts like noses, beards, and tattoos (although there are traditional sliders for other values).  I don't think any of them affect others.  I've only seen it in the video, but it looks like the best facial customization I've seen in a TES game.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 30, 2011, 05:46:25 pm »

There's nothing in that description that I don't like. :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #278 on: October 30, 2011, 06:18:52 pm »

Please keep the leaked footage links out of here.  I've removed some posts.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2011, 06:19:55 pm »

No problem.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2011, 06:27:45 pm »

No problem.

I am starting to think leaks are fake anyhow... or rather that the company themselves leak the footage.

At least that is the case for Capcom... but I am wondering if I can extent that to other companies as well.

Could Bethesda have leaked anything on purpose?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 30, 2011, 06:31:49 pm »

I said the same in one of the deleted posts. I'm pretty certain it's a deliberate move for the hype campaign.
Love, scriver~

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 30, 2011, 07:06:35 pm »

Personally, I was kind of disappointed with the new footage. It really shows that the melee combat is still just like Oblivion's but with extra blood spatter and some motion blur. Nobody really reacts to being hit unless it's one of the new kill animations or a power attack (which just seems to stun them for a second.)
Obviously melee isn't the only part of the game, or even the only area of combat, but it's one area I was hoping to see a big leap forward, and instead it seems like they barely even tried.

On the bright side, the intro seems a lot better than Oblivion's, even though
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 30, 2011, 07:19:19 pm »

Which is sometimes the other reason things are leaked earlier.

To make sure disapointment is delt with before the game is released.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 30, 2011, 07:25:47 pm »

Apparently you have extensive control of the UI, can make almost everything disappear and stuff, so that fixes most UI issues.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 896