Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1598259 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2011, 12:43:46 pm »

Yeah part of the fun of fighting in most games for me is finding yourself on low health and out of any means of healing yourself. More exciting when you finally survive.

*sigh* When the game isn't even out and you've already start counting how many mods the game'll need for you to enjoy it for more than two days, that's a bad sign...right?

nah. it's a good sign.
because it means that there is a way to make the game fit just to your tastes.
and probably a "rebalanceing mod" will be the first mod to come out. followed by a graphical one. then a combat one. then let's see...the unofficial bug patches, the script extenders...and so on. but yes, in a way, it's nice to think that instead of a vanilla flavoured icecream, you can go with vanilla plus chocolate toppings, and so on until you no longer even feel the vanilla taste.

Script extenders will take ass loads of time. They may even be outright impossible considering it is impossible to run them with steam(the DRM the game is using)

OBSE and NVSE and FOSE all work with Steam copies of their respective games. Bethesda pretty much encouraged them and I know for Oblivion at least the script extender will be launched by Steam if it's available.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2011, 08:34:57 pm »

Yeah part of the fun of fighting in most games for me is finding yourself on low health and out of any means of healing yourself. More exciting when you finally survive.

*sigh* When the game isn't even out and you've already start counting how many mods the game'll need for you to enjoy it for more than two days, that's a bad sign...right?

nah. it's a good sign.
because it means that there is a way to make the game fit just to your tastes.
and probably a "rebalanceing mod" will be the first mod to come out. followed by a graphical one. then a combat one. then let's see...the unofficial bug patches, the script extenders...and so on. but yes, in a way, it's nice to think that instead of a vanilla flavoured icecream, you can go with vanilla plus chocolate toppings, and so on until you no longer even feel the vanilla taste.

Script extenders will take ass loads of time. They may even be outright impossible considering it is impossible to run them with steam(the DRM the game is using)

OBSE and NVSE and FOSE all work with Steam copies of their respective games. Bethesda pretty much encouraged them and I know for Oblivion at least the script extender will be launched by Steam if it's available.

I dunno, when I tried it, the game crashed. When I asked the forums about this problem, they said steam was not supported.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2011, 08:41:33 pm »

I dunno, when I tried it, the game crashed. When I asked the forums about this problem, they said steam was not supported.

When the game first came to Steam, and for a while after, it wasn't supported. Steam had changed the Oblivion exe and so a separate version of OBSE for the Steam version had to be made.

Edit: In fact, you can check the OBSE site and see that they support the Steam version.

Quote from: OBSE Site
OBSE provides official support for:
Oblivion & Shivering Isles build 1.2.0.416.  This is the latest official build of Oblivion.  It provides fixes for the FormID problems and supports Shivering Isles.  All users will need to update to this build in order to use OBSE v0017 and later.
Steam build 1.2.0.416 (in v0017b)

You can also see that there are other versions that they don't support.

Edit 2: NerdTrek has posted their Q&A session with the lead artist of Skyrim, Matt Carofano. They reveal the entire perk tree for both the pickpocket and smithing skills.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:11:14 am by Jehdin »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2011, 01:02:34 am »

Michael asked.  Can we play instruments for money?!
No, [but the NPCs around you can]

Yep. That's right.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2011, 04:16:57 am »

Though it's probably no big thing to mod the animations available to the player.
Love, scriver~

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2011, 04:40:56 am »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2011, 06:57:00 pm »

So Skyrim is finally available for pre-order on Steam for UK residents. I guess The Game Group have stopped cock-blocking Steam. Maybe it's time they just accept that outside of their bargain bin for games from 10 years ago (seriously GAME do a pretty damn cool 3 games for £10 offer on older games), PC game sales are pretty much dead on the high street beneath the march of digital distribution...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2011, 06:08:15 am »

If the only change in Skyrim is more unique and variable dungeons, than I'll be sattisfied. Quests are fine and all, but I think my most fun with Oblivion (only played vanilla, still liked it, so nyah I guess) was just exploring dungeons on my own, as a sort of medevil indiana jones. Also, variable markets for artifacts and such would be nice (different dealers dealing in different types of artifacts from the different dungeons, kind of like the one guy in oblivion specializing in the things from the extinct peoples dungeons (names of things and extinct people being the official terms).

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:53 am »

I only played vanilla oblivion. I love it.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2011, 09:03:57 am »

I only played vanilla oblivion. I love it.

Play modded oblivion.
You will love it twice more than that.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2011, 09:15:18 am »

I hope they keep those soul-stones things in, or at least just the same amount of enchantment or more that we had in the older games.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2011, 10:56:08 am »

I hope they keep those soul-stones things in, or at least just the same amount of enchantment or more that we had in the older games.

I too hope that but then I again, I hope a lot of things.
Looks like I am getting depressed.
Time to watch the trailer again.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2011, 11:52:25 am »

I liked how in Daggerfall you didn't need a soul gem, but it improved the amount of magicka you could enchant. And some souls from crappy creatures gave your weapon a negative effect.

Oh yeah and needing soul gems to recharge weapons in Oblivion... ick.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »

I liked how in Daggerfall you didn't need a soul gem, but it improved the amount of magicka you could enchant. And some souls from crappy creatures gave your weapon a negative effect.

i never understood how some mages could recharge it on a whim of money, but you as the pc had to use soul gems...so, unless the mages had some sort of hidden soul gems stash...what did they not tell us?!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 30, 2011, 12:25:03 pm »

Fuck I loved every mechanic of daggerfall.
I would love if someone remade daggerfall with the oblivion engine.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 896