Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1602765 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9855 on: January 04, 2014, 08:17:46 pm »

What kind of moron thought that'd be a good idea?

Zenimax online studios apparently. They're pretty much just borrowing the IP since they own Bethesda anyway. Though wouldn't this be more topical in an elder scrolls online topic?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: January 04, 2014, 08:18:49 pm »

What kind of moron thought that'd be a good idea?

Zenimax online studios apparently. They're pretty much just borrowing the IP since they own Bethesda anyway. Though wouldn't this be more topical in an elder scrolls online topic?

All aboard the train to financial ruin... Choo-choo...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: January 04, 2014, 08:38:46 pm »

Iunno. I've been hearing people say it's not that bad of a game, actually.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: January 04, 2014, 08:42:49 pm »

I just hope the combat is like the Previous Elder Scrolls games, rather than as in most MMOs.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9859 on: January 04, 2014, 08:48:59 pm »

I just hope the combat is like the Previous Elder Scrolls games, rather than as in most MMOs.

It's not... It's generic MMO combat and most reviewers have claimed it barely feels like Elderscrolls... Just bland fantasy setting.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: January 04, 2014, 08:54:56 pm »

3. When you investigate the hall of the dead in Markarth, followed by when you encounter that cannibal lady, followed by when you kill all the cannibals.

Wait, wait, wait.. you killed the cannibals? You didn't join them?
That was one of the (overwhelming majority of) situations where the darker path has vastly better rewards and practically no consequences.
Besides, I like Eola. I tend to make her the steward at Windstad, where my adoptees live. Because she cooks.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: January 04, 2014, 09:26:57 pm »

Also, you picked Dwemer architecture, and they're known specifically for their love of consistent, reproducible, sharp-angled design, at least as far as the current lore stands. I'll admit, it's been a damn long time since I played Morrowind, but this actually seems like a repetition that's correct.

..it wasn't just that they looked similar,  It was that it was two parts of the same dungeon.  You go through a door, and everything remained similar, except for some inexplicable reason it was now blue.  Why not just skip the blue?  It would have been fine.

There were a lot of people who did some truly excellent work for creating scenes in the game, and despite having to deal with executive mandated dungeon layout, (clusters of enemies, fixed bosses, loot chests, skill books as loot, backtracking-free one way exits.)  A few of them weren't up to the high standards of the rest of the game, where great composition work was the norm, as well as the very solid work on the overworld and for the cities, where they successfully made them distinct environments without resorting to that kind of cheap techniques.

The work on such things overall was very well done.  The only issues it caused was stuff like the dead NPCs often being more interesting than live ones.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9862 on: January 04, 2014, 09:35:19 pm »

... You have a rather loose definition of 'similar'.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: January 04, 2014, 09:40:19 pm »

it's a fixed element found in many other places.  It's also blue for some inexplicable reason.  I'd rather they just didn't bother with the blue.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9864 on: January 04, 2014, 09:43:54 pm »

Maybe the guy in charge of that dungeon just thought that particular part just looked better blue.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9865 on: January 04, 2014, 10:22:17 pm »

3. When you investigate the hall of the dead in Markarth, followed by when you encounter that cannibal lady, followed by when you kill all the cannibals.

Wait, wait, wait.. you killed the cannibals? You didn't join them?
That was one of the (overwhelming majority of) situations where the darker path has vastly better rewards and practically no consequences.
Besides, I like Eola. I tend to make her the steward at Windstad, where my adoptees live. Because she cooks.
Oooooo~ A ring that gives a teeny bit more stamina and an ability that you always forget to use.

I like my characters cannibalism free, thanks. Besides, I made a commitment to Molag Bal to sate his mace with more souls. I think he would like torturing the worshippers of his rival prince, Namira.

I also already have the "complete all daedric prince quests" achievement from before.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: January 04, 2014, 10:53:43 pm »

Guh. Recently got Severin Manner for completing a quest chain in the Dragonborn DLC. Things just won't stay in the display cases when I leave and come back. It took me ages to cram all those potions in there. ;~;

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: January 04, 2014, 11:12:25 pm »

How it works is that the items you drop in the house will be placed in the position you originally dropped them at when you re-enter.

So you need to drop stuff down. Leave and come back in. Then put stuff in position again.

Here's an extensive guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/61718366

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9868 on: January 04, 2014, 11:39:57 pm »

It's not... It's generic MMO combat and most reviewers have claimed it barely feels like Elderscrolls... Just bland fantasy setting.
Actually, it's more modern action MMO combat than the standing-in-place-spamming-dozens-of-skills combat typical of many MMORPGs.

And not that I wish to deprive anyone of their gloom and despair, but TESO is being worked on by a different studio, so there could still be a TES VI (after Fallout 4). Considering how financially successful Skyrim was, Zenimax would be dumb to not try financing another single player TES game. Wouldn't be the first time they experimented with other genres, either.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: January 04, 2014, 11:58:01 pm »

The MMO was most likely something decided upon by the board of directors at one point.

MMOs can make a LOT of money. But it's really risky. They probably have a large enough financial cushion to take that risk and be able to fall back on their cash cows like Fallout and TES in case things go awry. It's a legitimate business decision.

I still think it'll be garbage, but I can see why they would do it.
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 896